Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Proactive bump from hotel for overbook

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2019, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC

Got a very weird email last night:
Good afternoon Mr. jasonvr,

I am reaching out to you today because we have experienced a computer glitch situation that has oversold our property for all next week. At this time we are being forced to relocate our guests.

We have a block of reservations set up at our sister property Hyatt House XXXXX.

We are contacting you in advance to inform you of our situation and provide you with your updated reservation details.

Please note that your rate will remain the same; as a thank you for your assistance and understanding we will be allocating 10,000 points to your Hyatt membership. If you are needing assistance with transportation, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will be more than happy to arrange transportation for you.

We sincerely apologize in advance, and we hope that this will not disrupt your travel plans too much.
It is totally legitimate (I got the reservation updates shortly afterwards). What I can't figure out is how they decided to bump people. I made this reservation last August, I'm a Globalist, and I've spent 34 nights at this property this year (80 nights lifetime). Seems like I'm the last person they'd want to bump out.

Anyone else had this type of thing occur?
Old Jun 15, 2019, 12:20 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
If you're being bumped, your rate should be $0. If you booked the stay on points, all your points should be returned. I'd contact management at the property that's bumping you and get this resolved before you check in.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by skj
If you're being bumped, your rate should be $0. If you booked the stay on points, all your points should be returned. I'd contact management at the property that's bumping you and get this resolved before you check in.
This isn't a walk.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What brand was the initial hotel?

If it was a Hyatt Place to a Hyatt House in a reasonable location I'd be happy to take the 10k pts.

If it was from a higher end property, 10k doesn't begin to scratch the surface.
skywalkerLAX and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 1:58 pm
skj

Originally Posted by joe_miami
This isn't a walk.
I don't agree, but it also analogous to other situations where a property didn't honor a reservation and ended up covering the cost of alternate accommodations. For a recent example, check the Hotel de Louvre thread ...
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 1:59 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by jasonvr
Got a very weird email last night:

It is totally legitimate (I got the reservation updates shortly afterwards). What I can't figure out is how they decided to bump people. I made this reservation last August, I'm a Globalist, and I've spent 34 nights at this property this year (80 nights lifetime). Seems like I'm the last person they'd want to bump out.

Anyone else had this type of thing occur?
Agree, if this is planned in advance of your arrival, Globalists should not be affected, especially with the nights you have already spent there.
this should only happen to you, if all other guests are Globalists, too, and have more nights than you... highly improbable.. so weird decision making.
lack of a good CRM in that case.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by 59Impala; Jun 16, 2019 at 6:29 am
Old Jun 15, 2019, 2:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by skj
I don't agree, ...
There's no way this would be considered a walk.

but it also analogous to other situations where a property didn't honor a reservation and ended up covering the cost of alternate accommodations. For a recent example, check the Hotel de Louvre thread ...
All I saw in that thread was one person who had points refunded after all sorts of rebooking problems when a luxury hotel failed to open on time because of permit issues. This one sounds like a "Hyatt House to Hyatt Place" move, which isn't analogous.

I agree some comp is in order, and that the OP shouldn't have been moved unless he was somehow among the lowest guests on the totem pole.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 2:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold/0.744MM, WN AL, Hyatt Diamond, MR Scum, Hertz PC, National Exec, Avis PC
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
What brand was the initial hotel?

If it was a Hyatt Place to a Hyatt House in a reasonable location I'd be happy to take the 10k pts.

If it was from a higher end property, 10k doesn't begin to scratch the surface.
Original was also Hyatt house, though the original is a better and more convenient location for my office
Old Jun 15, 2019, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
There's no way this would be considered a walk.
Why would you say that? The hotel was oversold, and they are moving people to another hotel. This is the textbook definition of a walk.
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Why would you say that? The hotel was oversold, and they are moving people to another hotel. This is the textbook definition of a walk.
No, it isn't. The textbook definition of a walk is when the person shows up at 5:00 p.m. and is told there are no rooms available.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Carlson Gold, CM Presidential / *A Gold, Hertz 5*
No, it isn't. The textbook definition of a walk is when the person shows up at 5:00 p.m. and is told there are no rooms available.
Grand, so one can ignore (or not receive) all contact from a hotel regarding such a change, turn up to the original hotel with a confirmation number (and payment confirmation?) and proceed from there
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by skj
hyatt's policy is

What is Hyatt's reservation guarantee?

If you book a room on hyatt.com and prepay with a credit card, Hyatt will have a room reserved for you when you arrive, or will provide, at no cost to you:

• A free night at a comparable hotel
• Free transportation to and from that hotel
• One free telephone call to advise your family where you can be reached
(cant find anything specific for hyatt elites. Marriott does, and is more generic

Marriott: If for some reason we’re unable to honor your reservation, we’ll pay for your accommodations that night at a nearby hotel and compensate you for the inconvenience. To be eligible, you must provide your member number when making a reservation. Compensation varies by hotel brand.
This isn't a walk.
walk is whatever hyatt defines in their policy (and nothing if they dont have it defined in their policy)
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pmarrsouth
Grand, so one can ignore (or not receive) all contact from a hotel regarding such a change, turn up to the original hotel with a confirmation number (and payment confirmation?) and proceed from there
Good luck with that.

Originally Posted by paperwastage
walk is whatever hyatt defines in their policy (and nothing if they dont have it defined in their policy)
We all know what a "walk" is in the hotel context, and being notified a week in advance isn't it.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The textbook definition of a walk is when the person shows up at 5:00 p.m. and is told there are no rooms available.
No, it's any time the hotel overbooks and has to move customers with confirmed reservations. By your definition, a hotel can email the customer as they enter and tell them they got notified in advance, so don't merit walk compensation.

We all know what a "walk" is in the hotel context, and being notified a week in advance isn't it.
Apparently some of us don't know, because notification is irrelevant.
Boraxo and skywalkerLAX like this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 6:00 pm
skj

You can call it what you want but Marriott honors their reservation guarantee, and it's not just when one shows up at 11pm and is shuffled off to the Holiday Inn because the hotel has sold your room. This is one area where they are clearly superior to Hyatt in the explicit benefits they provide when a reservation can't be honored. As just one example, I had a reservation at the Marriott Crystal City as a mid-tier Platinum member. They reached out to me a couple days in advance telling me they were overbooked and they had moved my reservation to the Ritz-Carlton Pentagon City (less than a mile away), where they would cover the cost of my room. There would also be a check for $200 waiting for me, per Marriott's guarantee, as well as some other considerations, such as transportation back and forth for the conference I was attending. Needless to say, this arrangement was more than satisfactory to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.