Search

Attn: HR Waikiki Fans

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Attn: HR Waikiki Fans

I just posted some troubling info I learned of at the HR Waikiki Regency Club.

I put it in the review thread... and here is the link to my post:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/31200480-post1740.html

The link to the review thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyat...1-forward.html

I'm posting a new thread because I know many people enjoy the hotel, and in particularly the RC, and I want them to see it and perhaps comment.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: AS Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Starriott LTPP
I wouldn't describe myself as a "fan" given my experiences there, but the renting out of RC portion isn't ideal. That being said, it's a really nice patio, and I have no right to complain if they choose to monetize it. I love the view, but I'm not entitled to a RC with a Waikiki beach view.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
You are correct. For a long time, the club was on the 39th floor and only had the regular lanais for guests to go outside. But it was still ocean front.

There is no other way to get on to that lanai except through the club (or the kitchen).

However, hotel management decided to move the club to that area, and now are monetizing it, at the expense of RC club guests
Old Jun 14, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I personally agree with Mary2e that this is problematic. A club's value quickly decreases when you get into crowding situations and having dozens of party guests stomp through and occupy a chunk of the club is stealing value from guests that paid to have access to the club (through $$ or gaining status). Worse yet, when you have expectations of space that is then rented away and closed to you, you are cheated out of whatever value you place on that space. I have a stay planned there in a couple of months, and part of the reason I am choosing the HR over other less expensive options is to be able to relax in the club in evenings with the family. If the lanai is blocked off for parties I will feel cheated.

// When I was at HR Paris etoile for a week last year, for 5 days the bar area next to it was blocked off for party rentals. The club, which most people express great love for, was downright miserable IMO -- crowded, noisy, and small. Out of 10 visits, I think I was able to sit down perhaps twice, I got to enjoy the popular view once. The last couple of days, when they opened the area next door, it felt much more relaxed because at least there was space to sit and the noise was much less (though, the food up there was still abysmal IMO -- Maybe it's an unpopular opinion, but I still rank it as one of the worse lounges anywhere in terms of food quality/selection). Not quite as bad as the HR Waikiki case in that the club at HR Paris Etoile wasn't the 'entrance' to the party venue, and that space is clearly rentable party space, but my point is space that is appreciated by those with lounge access that is then taken away for random monetization opportunities creates inconsistent experiences, which lowers value propositions. If I am paying for a hotel room with the expectation that I will have semi-private access to a lanai, and then Hyatt rents that lanai out for a private event, I feel stolen from.\\
Mary2e likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
When we were there in March the fire pits were gone. . It made the outside lanai very ordinary.
Having a large group of people out on the lanai and feeling that we had a very ordinary room to sit in at night would probably mean we wouldn't use the Club .
I think given this information, I will reach out to the hotel before our arrival and see if that area is being leased out.
If it is, we will stay elsewhere.
It was always the club and the staff there that drew us back, year after year.
It definitely wasn't the rooms!
Or the long wait for the lifts.
If the club experience is going to be less than it has been in the past then we will not be staying there.
Mary2e likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.