Non-refundable Reservation during Holiday

Old Jun 13, 19, 2:23 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Non-refundable Reservation during Holiday

Hi, new to this board. Hope folks can shed some light for this situation.

Booked winter holiday family travel at Andaz Costa Rica Papagayo with points. But have other work/family related obligation and can't make the trip. The cash rate for holiday is at > $1,000/night now. This is a non-refundable or changeable reservation.

What are the options right now? I can contact Hyatt or Hyatt Concierge since I'm a Globlist. Can try to get out of the reservation as an exception. Can I also gift this reservation to other family or friends? Normally this is doable for Globlist, but the reservation would have to be made at beginning?

Any help is appreciated. You can reply or PM me if you get any thoughts. This is a wonderful property. We'll certainly try to make it there next time.
Old Jun 14, 19, 7:56 am

I would start with your concierge they may be able to help. If that doesn't work if you used a Chase Sapphire reserve you might have an insurance claim.
Old Jun 14, 19, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I would start by contacting your concierge, if you have one, or calling Customer service.

I had a similar situation - I booked a prepaid rate for 4 nights at a ridiculously low rate. I ended up only needing 2. The prices had doubled by the time I realized it.

The concierge called the hotel and they let me out of it without penalty. It was also during a holiday period.

If customer service says they can't help. HUCA.
Old Jun 14, 19, 9:17 am
Suspended
Original Poster

This is great. I'll give them a call. Do you think it is possible to gift or transfer the reservation to family and friends? This was booked with the old 15k rate.
Old Jun 14, 19, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
You might be able to add someone to the reservation. If it's all on points, it might be possible to give it as a Guest of Honor reservation, but I'm not sure.

Your concierge should be able to assist.
Old Jun 14, 19, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would start with your travel insurance. That is clean and results in a simple cash payment and you are then done with the transaction.

If there is no coverage, you should think about what you want. If your goal is to "gift" the stay, this might well be accomplished with a call to the property, asking to substitute the names. No need to get into all of the work commitment issues and you might even consider leaving your name on the reservation and adding the other person (if this does not take you over the allowed number of occupants).
Old Jun 14, 19, 9:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd start by going back to look at the terms on your original email confirmation of the reservation. Sometimes the terms change, for example if there's some special event, after the reservation was made and what you see on the website can reflect the revised terms.
Old Jun 15, 19, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
I would start with your travel insurance. That is clean and results in a simple cash payment and you are then done with the transaction. ...
This makes no sense. The trip was booked with points, and it's ~6 months from now. Travel insurance doesn't pay out on speculatively missed trips.

My guess? The hotel will be thrilled to get this room back.
Old Jun 15, 19, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Non-refundable 6 months in advance on points? That seems pretty ridiculous to me. Iíve stayed here, and know such conditions werenít in my points reservation.
Old Jun 15, 19, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero View Post
Non-refundable 6 months in advance on points? That seems pretty ridiculous to me. Iíve stayed here, and know such conditions werenít in my points reservation.
You stayed there over a holiday?
Old Jun 15, 19, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami View Post
You stayed there over a holiday?
It was a holiday for me!
Old Jun 15, 19, 6:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

This reservation was booked months ago. It was like $600/night at that time. Now it is more than $1,000/night. I think if I call them, they should be happy to get it back.

It was not very reasonable to have a non-refundable policy with almost one year advance booking. Anyhow, thx for the advice.
Old Jun 16, 19, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Ex Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I declined to book over this upcoming NYE for that reason. Will be going on January 5, when the policy changes.

The JW Marriott Guanacoste is still a Draconian policy (75 days in advance or forfeit cash even though it's an award stay) but I will be there over NYE since 75 days is more reasonable and the cash penalty is $1750, which while a lot of money, but not beyond comprehension. Then I'm switiching to the Andaz.

Search this Thread