HP DFW vs. HR DFW

Old Jun 6, 19, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

HP DFW vs. HR DFW

Our family (9 people) has an overnight connection at DFW. I plan to use points for the 3 rooms we need so it is between the Hyatt Place and Hyatt Regency. We will likely need to pick up our checked luggage and car seats since the connection is 14 hours- 9 pm arrival and 11 am flight the next morning. We will also have a 4 year old and infant in tow. For those of you who've stayed at both hotels which would you recommend in our case as far as ease of getting to/from the terminal? Will we have a problem having our whole party get on the shuttle the next morning? Is the HR walking to Terminal C- then Skylink to our departure gate a feasible option? Thanks for your input.
Old Jun 6, 19, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Our family (9 people) has an overnight connection at DFW. I plan to use points for the 3 rooms we need so it is between the Hyatt Place and Hyatt Regency. We will likely need to pick up our checked luggage and car seats since the connection is 14 hours- 9 pm arrival and 11 am flight the next morning. We will also have a 4 year old and infant in tow. For those of you who've stayed at both hotels which would you recommend in our case as far as ease of getting to/from the terminal? Will we have a problem having our whole party get on the shuttle the next morning? Is the HR walking to Terminal C- then Skylink to our departure gate a feasible option? Thanks for your input.
Depends on if you value a free HP breakfast more than convenience. Iíd do HR in a heartbeat to avoid waiting for a shuttle (and I strongly prefer HRs over HPs anyway). Also I donít think you have to claim your luggage so long as itís one itinerary. Just use carry ons for the night.

Lastly, the Grand Hyatt is probably not an option for you due to cost BUT itís one of the nicest properties youíll find anywhere... very nearly Park Hyatt level. If it were me Iíd stay there for the night and put everyone else at the HR or HP....

Old Jun 6, 19, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I just did the HR this week...shockingly not easy to get to from C, even though it appears to be right outside it. Lots of up and down stairs - not a big deal for most often, but a PITA w/bags and summer humidity. Unless there was an elevator I missed...
Old Jun 6, 19, 6:26 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat Pro, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
If you aren't globalist, I'd go for the HP DFW and get free breakfast for your party of 9. I don't think the HR offers any real convenience despite being physically closer and the HP DFW is quite new so it's hardware has to be in good shape. Though, I haven't stayed at either because I always stay at GH -- even when I am just in the area and not flying through DFW because like mentioned above, it is one of the nicest properties out there (for a globalist anyways who gets treated to ample free upgrades, a great free breakfast, and a welcome gift of wine/snacks) and on weekends anyways, the up-charge from other hotels in the area is small enough to be well worth it.
Old Jun 7, 19, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-MVPG75K / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Are you flying American ?
Having checked luggage mostly removes any convenience factor as there a good chance you'll need to take a shuttle to get to either of the 3 Hyatts.

For pure convenience, the Grand is the best because it is integrated into Terminal D. It's also the nicest which usually translates out to more expensive.
On arrival on any airline, any terminal, with no checked luggage go from the plane to the SkyLink train to Terminal D to the hotel. Don't exit out of the TSA "secured side" until you're at T-D.
If you have checked luggage, then you exit the "secured side" at your arrival terminal so SkyLink is no longer an option. You'll need to take a shuttle.
Departing, if your'e on AA (or any airline with boarding passes in hand and no luggage to check) then you can can check-in at T-D and clear security there then take Skylink to your departing terminal. If not AA, you'll again need to take a shuttle.
If in need of a shuttle, taking the Airport's "Terminal Link" (inter terminal) buses will do the trick. They run every 10 minutes.

The Hyatt Regency is essentially the same with these 2 exceptions:
  • it's Terminal C (also American Airlines)
  • it is NOT integrated with the terminal.
You can only think about walking to/from the HR via T-C. But it requires an awkward walk though 2 parking garages. The walk zig-zags and has many half level stair changes. I make the walk all the time and think nothing of it. But I love to walk and I travel alone.

The Hyatt Place is relatively new. While on the grounds of DFW, it is away from the terminals. It close to the Rental Car Center. As noted, breakfast is free (technically, only if you're a member of "World of Hyatt" ... if not, sign-up at the hotel, it's free ... in reality, I rarely see the breakfast attendants confirming membership). The shuttle is run by the hotel so may not run as often (I've always had a rental car so don't know).

TL;DR: since you have checked luggage (and if on AA there's no gaurantee which terminal you'll arrive at), there's a high probability that you'll need a shuttle for either of the Hyatts, particularly if the Grand Hyatt is already out of consideration.
Old Jun 7, 19, 6:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
In your specific situation, HP > HR. The HR is nothing special and youíll have to pay for breakfast. Shuttle to HP takes 5 minutes.
Old Jun 8, 19, 12:23 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, WoH Glob, HHonors (faux) Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
I just did the HR this week...shockingly not easy to get to from C, even though it appears to be right outside it. Lots of up and down stairs - not a big deal for most often, but a PITA w/bags and summer humidity. Unless there was an elevator I missed...
I'm someone who prefers to walk whenever possible, even with heavy bags .... Last night walked a bit over a mile with several bags to a WA. This said, UA-NYC is spot on: It is shockingly difficult to walk from terminal to HR at DFW. At some point my wife and I were looking at each other like, "Could it possibly be we're the first people to every try to do this?" My recollection is that the signage is lousy, and since that first time, we have always waited for the shuttle.

But we still like very much the HR DFW, for reasons that may not be relevant to the OP:
  • excellent HR b'fast (might actually be worth paying for, though maybe not for 9!)
  • once got upgraded as a Globalist to a crazy-large suite; we were on the way to HI and wondered whether we shouldn't just stay at DFW for the day!
  • good gym
Old Jun 8, 19, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries View Post
I'm someone who prefers to walk whenever possible, even with heavy bags .... Last night walked a bit over a mile with several bags to a WA. This said, UA-NYC is spot on: It is shockingly difficult to walk from terminal to HR at DFW. At some point my wife and I were looking at each other like, "Could it possibly be we're the first people to every try to do this?" My recollection is that the signage is lousy, and since that first time, we have always waited for the shuttle.
Agreed - I love to walk even w/bags, never an issue with it.

My point of reference was the HR LAX (I was thinking going in) - I think I actually find that walk easier there from T7 (though longer) than the walk to the HR DFW from TC. Endless up and down stairs and minimal direction are quite limiting.

If anyone has any mobility issues or you have heavy checked bags - don't do it.
Old Jun 8, 19, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your reply. I think it will be the HP as it seems equal need to take a shuttle and at least the breakfast will be free. Hoping to be able to recheck baggage immediately upon claiming it at DFW so no need to lug it to the hotel. The one other time we had an overnight connection we were allowed to do this upon arrival at DFW despite our layover being over 12 hours.

Search this Thread