Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Retroactively credit for stay that partner booked but both stayed?

Old Jun 4, 19, 2:26 pm
formerly smoaky
Original Poster

Had a recent Hyatt stay that my partner booked but I stayed at. In hindsight I probably should have booked it myself since it would have gotten me a few more nights closer to Explorist. Given I was one of the guests, is there any way to retroactively credit it to my account instead? Only for elite night purposes, though presumably I would also get the points? This seems like a stretch maybe, but not as much as, say, trying to get credit for a night when you yourself didn't stay.
Old Jun 4, 19, 3:40 pm

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
Credit would go to the person whose name and hyatt number are on the stay and who paid for the stay as well.
Old Jun 4, 19, 6:28 pm
formerly smoaky
Original Poster

Originally Posted by antonius66 View Post
Credit would go to the person whose name and hyatt number are on the stay and who paid for the stay as well.
So no dice you're saying? I'm asking if I can change all the above as associated with the stay as I was also there and they already had my name since I arrived first.
Old Jun 4, 19, 7:18 pm

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
If it was their number in reservation as primary guest and they paid, no.
Old Jun 5, 19, 1:00 am

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM, BA Gold, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat LT, HH Dia, MGM NOIR, Hertz PC
The payment (name on the CC used) never made any difference whatsoever for me.

Basic rule: Is your name on the final folio as the guest? Then you can claim the credit. Otherwise no.
Old Jun 5, 19, 1:28 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, WoH Explorist, IHG Gold, CET 7*, MLIFE Platinum
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX View Post
The payment (name on the CC used) never made any difference whatsoever for me.

Basic rule: Is your name on the final folio as the guest? Then you can claim the credit. Otherwise no.
If the hotel processes it like that, then yes. But it "should" depend on the name on the payment, at least according to Hyatt's T&C's. In another post, the members name was on everything.But someone else ended up paying for it and the member did not receive the credit for the stay even though he made a claim and was denied.

3. Charges Billed to Member. In order for a Member to earn points, the bill for qualifying charges must be in that Memberís name and the Member must personally pay for all charges (i.e., the charges are paid by the Member in cash, using a payment device for which the Member is the named account holder or an authorized signatory, or are billed back to Memberís company or organization for payment and are not settled to a master account/posting master). A Member will only earn points for qualifying charges after the Member completes his/her stay and is checked out of the applicable hotel, resort, or other participating property.
Old Jun 5, 19, 2:02 am

Programs: AA LT GLD 1MM, BA Gold, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, SPG Plat LT, HH Dia, MGM NOIR, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by easy_money View Post
If the hotel processes it like that, then yes. But it "should" depend on the name on the payment, at least according to Hyatt's T&C's. In another post, the members name was on everything.But someone else ended up paying for it and the member did not receive the credit for the stay even though he made a claim and was denied.
Never had this problem in 10+ years of dealing with Hyatt and other programs. Doesn't make sense anyway, what if you pay in cash? I have a Debit Card issued in Thailand that says simply "Privileged Customer". My HSBC Debit Card issued in Canada doesn't have a name on it at all.
Old Jun 5, 19, 6:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Never had this problem in 10+ years of dealing with Hyatt and other programs. Doesn't make sense anyway, what if you pay in cash? I have a Debit Card issued in Thailand that says simply "Privileged Customer". My HSBC Debit Card issued in Canada doesn't have a name on it at all.
Right - but if you're calling a human to say that the credit was assigned to the wrong person, they will likely look at both the Folio and the CC to verify.

We're not saying that the CC is an absolute dealbreaker - but in conjunction with the room being in another name, they're not going to give you credit for it.
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Jun 5, 19, 6:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Can you imagine the second-hand market in "selling" elite nights and points after the fact?

"Oh yeah... I was also in the room with Mr. Smith and those points and elite nights should have gone to me..."
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jun 5, 19, 9:42 am
formerly smoaky
Original Poster

Doesn't sound like I have a route here. I get that retroactive crediting opens a can of worms, but thought maybe in this case since I checked in first, they had my card (though partner ultimately paid) it could be possible. My partner paid, got the folio etc. but I was clearly there, doesn't require pulling security footage!

Probably couldn't make Explorist this year in any event.
Old Jun 5, 19, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Can you imagine the second-hand market in "selling" elite nights and points after the fact?

"Oh yeah... I was also in the room with Mr. Smith and those points and elite nights should have gone to me..."
Hotels in most countries (except the U.S. and Canada) actually complete a proper registration of their guests and not just have the guest briefly wave an ID at check-in. That way it wouldn't be a problem to verify who actually occupied a guest room.

FWIW in the past I had names on the final folio adjusted "for billing purposes", both at checkout and after.
Old Jun 5, 19, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by jameswes View Post
Right - but if you're calling a human to say that the credit was assigned to the wrong person, they will likely look at both the Folio and the CC to verify.
How about prepaid rooms? It doesn't even ask for a name on the website, just a cc number.

IMHO this is another trap clause in the T&C that allows Hyatt to go after people where they suspect shady things are going on. 99.99% of all guests are never touched by this.
Old Jun 5, 19, 10:20 pm
formerly smoaky
Original Poster

Hotels in most countries (except the U.S. and Canada) actually complete a proper registration of their guests and not just have the guest briefly wave an ID at check-in. That way it wouldn't be a problem to verify who actually occupied a guest room.

FWIW in the past I had names on the final folio adjusted "for billing purposes", both at checkout and after.
FWIW this was in the UK. As I recall they did take down all my info, ID, took a credit card (which ultimately wasn't used to charge).

Search this Thread