FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt Regency Crystal City parking fees (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1971905-hyatt-regency-crystal-city-parking-fees.html)

CDTraveler May 30, 2019 2:36 am

Hyatt Regency Crystal City parking fees

In the process of booking a stay at Hyatt Regency Crystal City I looked at their parking fee - $45+ taxes, etc. per day, valet only, in & out privileges. That struck me as obscene so I started looking around for other parking options in the area. The airport parking site for Reagan National lists various hotels as long term parking sites for very low prices. At the exact same Hyatt Regency Crystal City, according to the prepaid parking site, I can park for the duration of my time in the area for $38.99 total. I won't need my car during the conference I'm attending.

Is there any reason I shouldn't book parking via the long term site, and just walk back to the lobby instead of taking the airport shuttle? Do they cross check names of long term parkers against the hotel guest list? I could book the parking in my companion's name.

Jaimito Cartero May 30, 2019 2:49 am

I’d certainly book the cheap option.

kanerf May 30, 2019 8:12 am

Nope, I have done that myself. Not at the Hyatt, but at the DoubleTree in Crystal City. Long term was $7 a day vs the $40+ the hotel wanted.

CDTraveler May 30, 2019 9:39 am

Originally Posted by kanerf (Post 31153362)
Nope, I have done that myself. Not at the Hyatt, but at the DoubleTree in Crystal City. Long term was $7 a day vs the $40+ the hotel wanted.

So the Regency isn't the only hotel that gouges guests on the parking, but sells it cheap to airport parking companies?

jameswes May 30, 2019 10:17 am

Originally Posted by CDTraveler (Post 31153663)
So the Regency isn't the only hotel that gouges guests on the parking, but sells it cheap to airport parking companies?

Nope, not at all.
They realize that business travelers don't care what the parking cost is. They need a car, and they're not paying for parking.
Wealthy(er) people don't bother taking the time to check.
People with status on award stays get free parking (these are almost all leisure-type trips, where someone would care since it's their own money).
Cheapskates do care, and for those that want to stay at the hotel, but not pay the high parking can book it through a third party. (I'm in this group as well, if I'm not on work travel or paying with points)

So the hotels get extra income from people who are willing to pay it.
Those that aren't can still stay at the hotel and either get it by using points, or by booking through a third party.

This is not at all specific to this hotel - it's a pretty common practice.

TerryK May 30, 2019 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by jameswes (Post 31153781)
.....This is not at all specific to this hotel - it's a pretty common practice.

+1. ^ I have experienced this same pricing strategy in multiple hotels, Hyatts, Starwoods etc. It pays to check around if you cannot expense it.;) OTOH, some hotels sell parking inclusive package rates which are lower than room only rates. :p

Collierkr May 30, 2019 4:29 pm

So you don’t need a car. Are you local? Why not Uber or taxi in and out and leave the car behind?

CDTraveler May 30, 2019 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by Collierkr (Post 31154971)
So you don’t need a car. Are you local? Why not Uber or taxi in and out and leave the car behind?

Not local. Will be making a 4 hour drive with several people in the car to attend the conference. Once we get there, the schedule is packed, so won't need car again until we're on the way home.

CDTraveler May 30, 2019 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by jameswes (Post 31153781)
Cheapskates do care, and for those that want to stay at the hotel, but not pay the high parking can book it through a third party.

Nice putdown, very appropriate to the thread.:rolleyes:

Collierkr May 30, 2019 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by CDTraveler (Post 31155263)
Not local. Will be making a 4 hour drive with several people in the car to attend the conference. Once we get there, the schedule is packed, so won't need car again until we're on the way home.

gotcha. Should have figured the answer wasn’t that easy.

jameswes May 31, 2019 6:24 am

Originally Posted by CDTraveler (Post 31155272)
Nice putdown, very appropriate to the thread.:rolleyes:

To be fair - I'm also a cheapskate that cares. I just luck out that most of the time either my employer is paying for work trips, or I'm paying with points and Hyatt pays for it.