Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hotel 50 Bowery NYC (Joie de Vivre) REVIEW- MASTER THREAD

Hotel 50 Bowery NYC (Joie de Vivre) REVIEW- MASTER THREAD

Old Apr 23, 2021, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Hmm, maybe it's like a weekday vs. weekend thing for the "$20 vs. $40" voucher? Otherwise, I thought it would just be contingent on the number of occupants or something, e.g. $20pp and some rooms have two occupants? Idk.

Thanks for sharing the datapoint/review!
That may be the case - I did receive the $40 vouchers on Saturday and Sunday morning. $20 vouchers on the weekday mornings. I traveled solo and checked in solo. Not sure if I put 2pax when I made the reservation.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pluu1285
That may be the case - I did receive the $40 vouchers on Saturday and Sunday morning. $20 vouchers on the weekday mornings. I traveled solo and checked in solo. Not sure if I put 2pax when I made the reservation.
These days I'd suggest always putting two people on the reservation at any property where the rate is the same for one as for two.

$20 isn't so bad for breakfast for one, but at properties that are giving out other breakfast alternatives, e.g. $10 Starbucks cards, $10 doesn't go all that far. It's always good to have the option of a second. At places like 50 Bowery I doubt they get charged for issuing the voucher (only when they're redeemed) so you wouldn't be costing them anything if you get two vouchers and only end up using one.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by coleslaw
These days I'd suggest always putting two people on the reservation at any property where the rate is the same for one as for two.

$20 isn't so bad for breakfast for one, but at properties that are giving out other breakfast alternatives, e.g. $10 Starbucks cards, $10 doesn't go all that far. It's always good to have the option of a second. At places like 50 Bowery I doubt they get charged for issuing the voucher (only when they're redeemed) so you wouldn't be costing them anything if you get two vouchers and only end up using one.
I agree that you should put 2pax if it's the same price. I didn't care to ask for additional vouchers since I ended up with a collection of unused water bottles by the end of my trip and felt it was a bit wasteful :-/ And additional vouchers would only encourage me to order more of what I didn't need/want. I do love a coupon! =D
Old Apr 23, 2021, 10:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pluu1285
I do love a coupon! =D
You and me both!
Old Apr 25, 2021, 12:13 am

Comments to add -

If they gave you $20 instead of $40 for two people reservation, they sure had made a mistake. It happened to my stay because day 1 they gave me 40 then 2nd day they gave me $20, I had to inform the front desk to reissue me with a new one.

Re: Massage -

Renew Day spa is good. They have two locations right across from each other. Groupon if you can get it with 25% off, it will be the same price that they offer for cash or else you can just use cash to book.

The one across the street is newer and fancier looking but staffs do work at both stores. They gave "hard/firm pressure" massage for those who loves it. I went twice during my short stay.
Old May 3, 2021, 1:30 pm

Found a cool 3D tour of the Kindred Suite (https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=7Z...vFwKZLLWHdFN1k). Currently staying here and service is excellent. Not sure if its worth moving from my city view room to the Kindred Suite when it frees up later in the week since it looks like the room isnt that much bigger and all you really gain is the hallway / seating area.

Jing Fong has changed its menu with more options which is nice too. The Work rooms gained phone holders that have a ring light (I assume for selfie videos / room etc).

Last edited by olouie; May 3, 2021 at 1:37 pm
Old May 3, 2021, 5:14 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by olouie
Found a cool 3D tour of the Kindred Suite (https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=7Z...vFwKZLLWHdFN1k). Currently staying here and service is excellent. Not sure if its worth moving from my city view room to the Kindred Suite when it frees up later in the week since it looks like the room isnt that much bigger and all you really gain is the hallway / seating area.

Jing Fong has changed its menu with more options which is nice too. The Work rooms gained phone holders that have a ring light (I assume for selfie videos / room etc).
Do the City View rooms have any seating (that's not the desk chair)? The pictures on the JDV and Hyatt websites make it seem like they don't.

I think separate seating is nice (because idk about you, but I fall asleep when sitting on the bed lol), so if the City View room already has that (and the Kindred Suite just makes it more separate and pronounced), then seating-wise it's prob not necessary to move.

Last edited by futuramadramallama; May 3, 2021 at 5:34 pm
Old May 3, 2021, 5:28 pm

Do the City View rooms have any seating (that's not the desk chair)? The pictures on the JDV and Hyatt websites make it seem like they don't.

I think separate seating is nice (because I fall asleep when sitting on the bed lol), so if the City View room already has that (and the Kindred Suite just makes it more separate and pronounced), then seating-wise it's prob not necessary to move.
They don't have any separate seating - just the "desk" chair. The rooms are pretty compact so there isn't really much space for any other seating area without interrupting the flow of the room/impeding access to/from one side of the bed.
Old May 4, 2021, 1:04 pm

I moved rooms to the Kindred ADA suite and its much nicer. One the third floor so if you are doing the Work From Hyatt the work rooms are on the same floor which is really nice. The view isnt as great as city view, but the suite itself has much more room and is much quieter. A bit strange that front desk said they would upgrade me as a one-time exception even thought upgrade to standard suite is part of Globalist benefits. Not sure why they do stuff like this, but not a big deal.

Hotel overall is getting way busier towards than before. Seems like a lot more young customers and "influencers" are around doing photos shoots and such.
Old May 4, 2021, 1:26 pm

I moved rooms to the Kindred ADA suite and its much nicer. One the third floor so if you are doing the Work From Hyatt the work rooms are on the same floor which is really nice. The view isnt as great as city view, but the suite itself has much more room and is much quieter. A bit strange that front desk said they would upgrade me as a one-time exception even thought upgrade to standard suite is part of Globalist benefits. Not sure why they do stuff like this, but not a big deal.

Hotel overall is getting way busier towards than before. Seems like a lot more young customers and "influencers" are around doing photos shoots and such.
The “exception” might be that you moved mid stay? Usually the upgraded room needs to be available for the entirety of your stay in order for you to be upgraded as a Globalist (and in general).
Old May 4, 2021, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw
The “exception” might be that you moved mid stay? Usually the upgraded room needs to be available for the entirety of your stay in order for you to be upgraded as a Globalist (and in general).
Thanks. That makes sense. I guess never hurts to ask. Most of the hotels I have stayed in often tell me to check back with them in a few days if they dont have an upgrade at time of checkin, but good to know its technically by checkin timing.
Old May 4, 2021, 1:40 pm

Thanks. That makes sense. I guess never hurts to ask. Most of the hotels I have stayed in often tell me to check back with them in a few days if they dont have an upgrade at time of checkin, but good to know its technically by checkin timing.
Some places are pretty good about letting you upgrade mid stay, particularly if you’re going to be there for awhile. But I’ve also had places that flat out refuse. It also depends on the individual you’re dealing with.
olouie likes this.
Old May 5, 2021, 11:58 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Just had a 2 night stay last week. Here's my experience as Explorist:

Overall: Wonderful boutique hotel. I enjoyed the second floor shared space - great place to meet up with friends, or go outside without going downstairs.

Location: Located near the corner of Bowery and Canal Street. It's 4-5 blocks from the nearest subway stop. Lots of restaurants nearby, with access to counterfeit handbags, watches, and masks.

Pre-Check-in: The hotel GM sent an email with the information about the hotel, including the destination charge (boo!) and discounts that comes with the charge, outdoor yoga hours, and dining options, as well as recommendation for making a reservation at the Crown, the rooftop bar.

Check-in: Relatively easy. Friendly front desk staff. The front desk also has a small selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages for purchase. There was an elevator caller in the lobby there on Friday night, presumably to manage access for the rooftop bar.

Room: The size of the room is well organized that it does not feel like a 200 sq ft room like other rooms in Manhattan. There was a greeting card and a half bottle of cabernet waiting in the room - wasn't sure it was due to Hyatt status or the Bowery Insider rate that I used [from booking a reservation at Chikarashi Isso]. There is an umbrella included in the closet, but no iron or ironing board. There is a hair dryer in the bathroom, but no shower gel. I was upgraded to the Manhattan Bridge view room on the 19th floor. There is a side chair in the room, in addition to the desk chair, per the following question:

I think separate seating is nice (because idk about you, but I fall asleep when sitting on the bed lol), so if the City View room already has that (and the Kindred Suite just makes it more separate and pronounced), then seating-wise it's prob not necessary to move.

2 bottles of water were in the fridge, hidden next to the desk. 2 more bottles were delivered the next morning in a plastic bag hanging from the door.

Food & Beverage: As others had pointed out, there is a delivery menu available from nearby restaurants. The Crown is open, although the hotel recommends reservation, and on Fridays and Saturdays there is a $50pp minimum spend, so we skipped it.

The hotel is also the home to Chikarashi Isso, a pop-up yakitori omakase restaurant. Definitely worth every penny. Although, mindful of the fact that you can't charge the restaurant bill to your room, so no extra Hyatt puntos for dining there.

The pastries at the Chinese bakery next door are delightful, and you get 10% off when you mention that you are staying at the hotel (part of the Destination Charge benefit).

Facilities: The Second Floor room is definitely a great asset. Coffee was setup and ready to go at 7:30am, and there is a microwave, plates, and disposable compostable silverware for your take-out. There is a selection of newspaper and magazines as well. According to the TV screen, Chinese newspapers are available upon request.
Old May 24, 2021, 7:15 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
It looks like they charge a premium for a city view room (not uncommon of course); does anyone have an opinion on whether the property's city view side(s) is(are) very different (or "worth it") as compared to the non-city view side(s)? Cheers.
Old May 24, 2021, 8:00 pm
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
It looks like they charge a premium for a city view room (not uncommon of course); does anyone have an opinion on whether the property's city view side(s) is(are) very different (or "worth it") as compared to the non-city view side(s)? Cheers.
See my post #92 for the difference in views. Picture 1 is from the city view side. Picture 2 is not. I don’t know the rate difference for your dates or how much your care about views, but my personal opinion is that the view of midtown is very cool but probably not worth more than an extra $20 or so. If you want the midtown photo for the ‘gram, you can head up to The Crown for a drink and snap it there. Or, if you have status (I can’t see your details on my mobile), you’re VERY likely to get the city view as an upgrade.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.