Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hotel 50 Bowery NYC (Joie de Vivre) REVIEW- MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel 50 Bowery NYC (Joie de Vivre) REVIEW- MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2022, 12:53 am

Thanks for sharing. Very useful for my family of 4. I really want to stay at 50 Bowery on our next visit if the price is right. Unfortunately our last two trips to NYC it has been far more expensive than where we've ended up staying (Gild Hall and HR JC), but I would totally be willing to pay more to stay there. The small room would be a deal breaker for my wife so I'll have to figure out a way to use a TSU. Hopefully they accept 2+2 guests in their standard suites!
Old Mar 17, 2022, 4:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by projectmaximus
Thanks for sharing. Very useful for my family of 4. I really want to stay at 50 Bowery on our next visit if the price is right. Unfortunately our last two trips to NYC it has been far more expensive than where we've ended up staying (Gild Hall and HR JC), but I would totally be willing to pay more to stay there. The small room would be a deal breaker for my wife so I'll have to figure out a way to use a TSU. Hopefully they accept 2+2 guests in their standard suites!
To be fair I think most NYC rooms with two doubles are going to feel very cramped. The rooms at 50 Bowery with one king do feel less cramped, but they’re not exactly huge either.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 8:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by coleslaw
To be fair I think most NYC rooms with two doubles are going to feel very cramped. The rooms at 50 Bowery with one king do feel less cramped, but they’re not exactly huge either.
Based on my sample of two, there's significant variation in the room sizes. The first one we received was awful. The one we got after I complained was acceptable. But there's no way you'd want more than two people in there.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I stayed recently and was upgraded to a suite - naturally, I was alone on this trip. But the suite had a lot of space - king in the bedroom. I assume the couch was a pull-out in the living room. And 1.5 bathrooms also.

I didn't order breakfast because I was so put-off by the menu. Very, NY diner breakfast menu. I'll post pics when I have a sec. Let me say it was a very, very far cry from the Andaz Fifth breakfast menu. But as another poster said, it's easy to find great food right nearby (and I second Joe's Shanghai and also Great NY Noodletown, which seemed like they had very restricted hours on my last trip).
Old Mar 17, 2022, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by coleslaw
True. It's just an obstacle we have to overcome. Gild Hall was borderline acceptable in their standard double. HR JC we were upgraded one class to the second-tier double and it was totally fine. Of course that's an exception, being outside of Manhattan/NYC
Old Mar 17, 2022, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jehova

Protip #3. Fruits
The hotel is in the middle of chinatown. There are lots of street vendors who sell fruit and veggies. We even saw durian and jackfruit. To balance all the carbs you end up eating out everyday, buy some fruits from the vendors, your body will appreciate it.
To balance all the carbs, eat more carbs.

But yeah fruit is great.
Hydro88 likes this.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
To balance all the carbs, eat more carbs.

But yeah fruit is great.
And tasty!

David
Old Mar 18, 2022, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
I enjoy this property but breakfast is a disaster. How does it take an hour to deliver sliced fruit, a muffin, and a breakfast burrito?
Old Mar 19, 2022, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
I enjoy this property but breakfast is a disaster. How does it take an hour to deliver sliced fruit, a muffin, and a breakfast burrito?
its a third party service - so you’re basically just ordering from Uber Eats.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by slariz
its a third party service - so you’re basically just ordering from Uber Eats.
Yep, I know some folks that work for the company. The markup is impressive as well.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
Yep, I know some folks that work for the company. The markup is impressive as well.
The prices are pretty high for the quality of food. I assumed they were being massively marked up by the online delivery service, but when I looked at the online menus for the diners they use they seem to apply a relatively modest premium over the diner price.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 2:27 pm

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
During a recent stay I was annoyed by the noise from the adjoining rooms. Has anyone else noticed the noise at this hotel?
Old Mar 20, 2022, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by sonomawine
During a recent stay I was annoyed by the noise from the adjoining rooms. Has anyone else noticed the noise at this hotel?
Same here. It seems a lot of the noise transmission is from around the door, which in my first room sealed poorly (poor fitment). Given that the rooms are smallish one sleeps quite close to the door and can hear a lot of noise. We moved due to a barking dog next door and the second room had a better fitting door and was a different layout; it was much quieter and we slept better.
Old Mar 20, 2022, 8:08 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by sonomawine
Yes. One very loud woodpecker attacking the building.
sonomawine likes this.
Old Apr 3, 2022, 3:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
Hello

Family and I will be staying here for a week. I have read the thread and collected info but curious if folks have more advice on the hotel, rooms/floors to request or avoid, good places to eat nearby, etc?

thanks in advance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.