Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

AA Concierge Key...Don't Waste Your Time

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA CK; Marriott Plt Prm

Did the AA Concierge Key match to Globalist. Haven't stayed at a Hyatt in 25+ years. Was looking forward to a great experience. WRONG. First stay is at Hyatt Regency O'Hare. No upgrade. No view. Stick with Marriott. Totally bogus match program!
Old May 20, 2019, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Great - stay with Marriott. It sucks and they killed off the Starwood magic.

BTW most Hyatts in Chicago are sold out tonight...but sure, a single night data points proves your hypothesis.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:28 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
As previous post says, if you’re there tonight, most of the Hyatts are sold out. Nowhere to upgrade you to.
Old May 20, 2019, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Great - stay with Marriott. It sucks and they killed off the Starwood magic.

BTW most Hyatts in Chicago are sold out tonight...but sure, a single night data points proves your hypothesis.
And yet you keep on staying with Marriott.

I agree a single data point proves nothing especially the O’hare Hyatt.
Old May 21, 2019, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by Visconti
Seriously, as existing Globs, out of self interest, we should be encouraging the OP's conclusions!
As I’ve said other places:

1. These are coveted high margin customers. It’s good business for Hyatt to go after them. A successful Hyatt in its roughly current (and generous) form is good for us.

2. With all the new properties AND the lack of mass status matching (especially with free TSUs) AND the elimination of the 25 stay crowd there is room to strategically grow the program and not degrade benefits.

When I status matched over from Starwood (along with probably 20,000+ others) I got 4 TSUs on day one. This is a much smaller group (but far more potentially valuable) and they are getting, at most, two.

3. Finally, as we’ve just seen demonstrated.... this is a finicky, demanding customer base with existing loyalty patterns (many are already Globs) and its not like they are just going to rush in and take all our upgrades - nor are they going to suddenly dedicate themselves to Hyatt.

If Hyatt picks up a few thousand CKs as loyal customers that will be great for Hyatt and barely noticeable to the rest of us. If anything, if this guy is any indication, we will have some new (and wonderfully grumpy) curmudgeons pushing for better TSU availability and more generous lounge offerings as “compensation” for the burden of accepting the small footprint.

Last edited by txhyattlvr; May 21, 2019 at 7:14 am
Old May 21, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: Global Mercenary
I'll trade my hilton diamond for your hyatt globalist any day of the week.
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Not sure who you are or why you are replying to me? Maybe you're a a "rah rah Marriott!" type, I don't know or don't really care.

I am burning off points and SNAs and am doing Marriott stays as a last possible report. After averaging ~$18K of revenue for 9 years running pre-merger, I'll probably end this year at about $2,500 (most of that early Jan before I gave up on Marriott and switched to Hyatt).

Marriott: To Big To (Not) Fail
it was not an attack on you specifically but all the (continuous) Marriott bashers and as you put it, “rah rah Hyatt” crew, and still using Marriott services .

apologies if it came off that way.
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by myperks; May 21, 2019 at 12:24 pm
Old May 21, 2019, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by myperks

it was not an attack on you specifically but all the (continuous) Marriott bashers and as you put it, “rah rah Hyatt” crew, and still using Marriott services .
Marriott has crapped the bed the past year, whether you want to admit it or not. What's more galling than the incompetence (bad in and of itself) is the hubris, "noise around the edges", and lack of true consumer outreach and make-good.

Think Hyatt can work for many of "us" in this forum for the vast majority of stays...but yes, once in a while a stay at a crappy CY may be in order (I had one last month). Doesn't make me a Marriott "customer"...
Old May 21, 2019, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by vj_rama
I'll trade my hilton diamond for your hyatt globalist any day of the week.
I tried Hilton Diamond.... what a let down that was.... and a reminder of how spoiled I am at Hyatt. But Hyatt isn't Four Seasons and isn't perfect. Just WAY better than Hilton Diamond or even Marriott Plutonium/Titanium whatever they call it IMHO.....
vj_rama likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lighthouse206
I tried Hilton Diamond.... what a let down that was.... and a reminder of how spoiled I am at Hyatt. But Hyatt isn't Four Seasons and isn't perfect. Just WAY better than Hilton Diamond or even Marriott Plutonium/Titanium whatever they call it IMHO.....
Bonvanium?

I think that Hyatt has the best loyalty program. Other hotels are certainly better at other things, so, people should choose accordingly depending on their priorities.
Old May 21, 2019, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I think that Hyatt has the best loyalty program. Other hotels are certainly better at other things, so, people should choose accordingly depending on their priorities.
While Marriott IT, service failures, downgrade of Ambassador program, erasing of Starwood treatment, etc. caused me to leave, I also have now realized that Globalist is the best top tier status level out there, bar none. Marriott Ambassador takes more nights and $20K spend, and you really don't get much benefit above Titanium.
59Impala likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 2:12 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AventuraAAFlyer
Did the AA Concierge Key match to Globalist. Haven't stayed at a Hyatt in 25+ years. Was looking forward to a great experience. WRONG. First stay is at Hyatt Regency O'Hare. No upgrade. No view. Stick with Marriott. Totally bogus match program!
The Hyatt Regency ORD has become one of the worst hotels in terms of dealing with Explorists/Globalists. They've gone cheap -- and they were pretty cheap even before -- and it shows in upgrades too. But this hotel doesn't have a whole lot of suites into which it upgrades run-of-the-mill Globalists. They seem far more eager to hand out for free the few suites as part of sales incentives to those who have conferences/meetings hosted at the hotel.

But I still use this hotel.

Last edited by GUWonder; May 23, 2019 at 2:20 am
Old May 23, 2019, 2:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AventuraAAFlyer
One datum proves exactly nothing. The Hyatt Regency O'Hare is a pretty awful hotel anyway, a bigger room doesn't change the fact that there are no decent views.

1. These are coveted high margin customers. It’s good business for Hyatt to go after them. A successful Hyatt in its roughly current (and generous) form is good for us.
The assumption that holders of a high tier are 'coveted high margin customers' is simply wrong. High margin customers are those that are (1) regular and (2) price inelastic. Your statement would be true if there were a high spend requirement to achieve and maintain Globalist (say $50,000 per annum). As it is, there are too many mattress-surfers and status-matched members.
Old May 23, 2019, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
If that is so, then that does not necessarily translate into higher margins for Hyatt, but I can see a general argument in that favour.
Love it when someone who openly describes themselves as “Elite” can’t even bother to read the entire message before responding.... or worse, comprehend it.

People who spend at CK levels with AA (including substantial premium cabin) and are high margin at AA (the real core requirement to BE a CK) are very likely to be high margin hotel consumers, as well. Is this true 100% of the time? No. But is there a better group for Hyatt to pursue? Doubtful.
Old May 23, 2019, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K

Love it when someone who openly describes themselves as “Elite” can’t even bother to read the entire message before responding.... or worse, comprehend it.

People who spend at CK levels with AA (including substantial premium cabin) and are high margin at AA (the real core requirement to BE a CK) are very likely to be high margin hotel consumers, as well. Is this true 100% of the time? No. But is there a better group for Hyatt to pursue? Doubtful.
The point I am making, which you seem to miss, is that volume of spending does not translate into margin. Or, to put it differently, revenue does not equal profit. Just because someone is CK or GS does not make them a high-margin customer for hotels, restaurants, or a retail business. There is likely a positive overall correlation, however.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.