Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Gripe/Rant: Lounge breakfast in the US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gripe/Rant: Lounge breakfast in the US

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
Similarly, I was at a nice Hyatt, and the lounge provided an "evening service", and all it was was two hot items, some cold cuts, veggies, bread, and only one option for dessert.

Seriously, if you were going to a restaurant, that would not be acceptable. I do not understand why Hyatt cannot hold their lounges to a minimum standard of at least one beef entree (preferably a filet, but I'll settle for a ribeye since its free), one seafood dish, one chicken dish, and one vegetarian meal, and I would expect at least four or five dessert options.

What is the point of having a lounge offering, if I'm going to just go to a real restaurant to have the meal I want?
You can probably get 4-5 desserts at a Ritz Carlton Club Lounge but you will not get all the entrees. Perhaps two out of the four in addition to sandwhiches.
Old May 20, 2019, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lighthouse206
If you read the T&C's you will see that they "entitle" you to club access which includes a non-defined "breakfast." In the absence of a lounge, you are "entitled" to a "full breakfast" in the restaurant. Your interpretation has it in reverse...
This is fair.

I still think that it's strange that the benefit is better at hotels without a lounge than with one. Lounges are supposed to be a pro, not a con, when comparing hotels.
Old May 20, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
This is fair.

I still think that it's strange that the benefit is better at hotels without a lounge than with one. Lounges are supposed to be a pro, not a con, when comparing hotels.
And that is why I tend to avoid hotels with lounges. The breakfast offerings are truly meager at some. That goes for both Hilton and Hyatt. If there is a Hilton Garden Inn at the same price as a Hilton with a lounge within 1 mile of each other, I will always choose the HGI because of the cooked to order breakfast. I won’t however choose a Hyatt Place over a Regency with a lounge, but a Hyatt without a lounge will be my first choice over one with a lounge. I tend to go out to eat dinner so a lounge is not crucial.
VegasGambler and MarkOK like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, AAdvantage
A lounge does not equal a restaurant. If I want a full breakfast I pay for one in the restaurant.
Old May 20, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Some folks do need to power up the sarcasm detector.

You are essentially arguing that you want a "full breakfast" from a lounge (which is more than oatmeal and one hot dish), which is just not realistic in a lounge environment.

Your option would be for all Hyatts to simply give Globalists a free breakfast in their restaurant.

While that might be great, I cannot imagine any reason for Hyatt to do that.

I don't expect the lounge to have the perfect breakfast for me, but I have extremely rarely been in a lounge where I could not find a perfectly acceptable breakfast.
59Impala and solewalker like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt
Did a review of this HR earlier. Found the lounge staff to be friendly and accommodating. One staff member even popped open a Stone beer for on my second night and brought it over after I finished my first.

As I said in my review, I don’t eat big breakfasts at home and usually only induldge with a huge breakfast a few days even when at a resort with a nice buffet spread. I found the lounge breakfast to be good here. Clearly, the overseas lounges are in general more generous but I am sure it also reflects lower cost.

Whatever we may think about the offerings, the guests seemed to enjoy it as I observed many with multiple heaping plates.

The HR Indian Wells seasonally closed it lounge and also only opened on weekends. Then it closed it all together. Was a Nice lounge. Staff told me last year it just didn’t make $ sense. Was converted to meeting/event space. Breakfast at the restaurant for Globalists is nicer but missing out on use of club. FWIW, Huntington beach at 20k is a better value imo.

Old May 20, 2019, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ceebee100

And that is why I tend to avoid hotels with lounges. The breakfast offerings are truly meager at some. That goes for both Hilton and Hyatt. If there is a Hilton Garden Inn at the same price as a Hilton with a lounge within 1 mile of each other, I will always choose the HGI because of the cooked to order breakfast. I won’t however choose a Hyatt Place over a Regency with a lounge, but a Hyatt without a lounge will be my first choice over one with a lounge. I tend to go out to eat dinner so a lounge is not crucial.
This is basically what my strategy is going to be. I'm rarely going to go to a lounge in the middle of the day or the evening -- the only time I will go in on most trips is for breakfast. If the breakfast is subpar I will go out to breakfast, and not use the lounge at all. So, yeah, it's a lot better for me if the lounge is not there.

I have had some really good breakfasts at Hyatts without lounges. Driskill probably has my favorite globalist breakfast, out of all the ones I've tried.
Old May 20, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Some folks do need to power up the sarcasm detector.

You are essentially arguing that you want a "full breakfast" from a lounge (which is more than oatmeal and one hot dish), which is just not realistic in a lounge environment.

Your option would be for all Hyatts to simply give Globalists a free breakfast in their restaurant.

While that might be great, I cannot imagine any reason for Hyatt to do that.

I don't expect the lounge to have the perfect breakfast for me, but I have extremely rarely been in a lounge where I could not find a perfectly acceptable breakfast.
The only reason to offer full b/fast would be if a competitor offers it !
Old May 20, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
It bothers me that Hyatts with lounges are allowed to weasel out of the globalist breakfast requirement by serving a cold breakfast. Sorry, but croissants and cold cuts are not breakfast.

I am finishing up a very enjoyable stay at the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach. I went to the lounge this morning, took one look at their sad breakfast offerings, and walked 15 min to a cafe for a real breakfast instead. In my experience, this is a common problem at Hyatt Regency properties in the US (not all, but most)

I feel that the existence of a lounge should not lower the breakfast requirements. If you went for a restaurant breakfast (at a non-lounge property) and were told that you could only order pastries and cold cuts, but no hot food, that would not be acceptable. So, why is it acceptable in a lounge?

If they want to offer a buffet-style breakfast, that's fine, but there should be bare minimum requirements on it -- it should at least include standard hot breakfast dishes like breakfast meats, eggs, and potatoes, as well as fresh fruits and pastries.

It's sad when breakfast at a $500/night resort is not even up to the standards of a Hyatt Place or a Holiday Inn Express.
There is no requirement to provide breakfast in the lounge. Thus, they are not chiseling out of anything. We are entitled to the lounge offerings, whatever they are. If the lounge is closed, then we are entitled to breakfast.
peter42 likes this.
Old May 21, 2019, 3:00 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Ok I'll admit that I avoid Hyatt Place & House when possible but I do end up there sometimes and I've always gotten real eggs.

The HH in Scottsdale has an omelette bar.
You have gotten real eggs? I don't think so. And that omelette bar is not cracking eggs. You're eating liquid crap from a one half gallon paper container.
Old May 21, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by hedoman
You have gotten real eggs? I don't think so. And that omelette bar is not cracking eggs. You're eating liquid crap from a one half gallon paper container.
Not to be overly pedantic, but you're eating liquid crap from a one ounce egg-shaped container when someone cracks an egg.

It takes an awfully refined palate to discern anything other than the psychological/emotional difference between an egg and egg-products when mixed in with all the other stuff that goes into an omelette.

If someone generally likes an omelette from the HH in Scottsdale, I'm not sure it matters whether someone cracked an egg right in front of them.
Old May 21, 2019, 4:09 pm

Not to be overly pedantic, but you're eating liquid crap from a one ounce egg-shaped container when someone cracks an egg.

It takes an awfully refined palate to discern anything other than the psychological/emotional difference between an egg and egg-products when mixed in with all the other stuff that goes into an omelette.

If someone generally likes an omelette from the HH in Scottsdale, I'm not sure it matters whether someone cracked an egg right in front of them.
I generally agree with you, yet for some reason I find HH omelets to be among the least tasty ever consumed. Not even sure why.
MarkOK likes this.
Old May 22, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by lighthouse206

I generally agree with you, yet for some reason I find HH omelets to be among the least tasty ever consumed. Not even sure why.
Ok, good. I thought it was just me that thinks the HH omelets are missing something. I am not sure what that is either, but something about the HH omelet is always 'meh' (while at full service Hyatts with an omelette bar, I am more typically happy enough). Cheap cheese? Cheap oil to fry it in? It's probably all sorts of just "cheap ingredients".

My question: what do we consider to be the main purpose of a lounge? Is it to serve Globalists, or to sell upcharged rooms? I think it is much more the latter. For one, I find that lounges are somewhat more commonly present at hotels where tourists stay and are willing to upgrade. Secondly, it is pretty common enough that I don't get a lounge floor room anyways (because they get booked up, or think they can be booked up, with upcharged guests). Third, there just isn't enough globalists staying at most places most times for it to be any real factor in operating a lounge. If you have a lounge, you need to throw your globalists in there, give explorists passes to use it ( up to 28 nights a year!), and get ordinary people to buy into it. Lounges are just convenient, and relatively cost effective, for Hyatt to roll the globalist breakfast into, expecially when the breakfast is cold items pulled out of the fridge. The main upgrade from explorists to Globalists is the true breakfast benefit (vs just the lounge access certificates). When it comes to lounge access, it really doesn't seem like a globalist benefit to me because I already earned that mostly when I stayed 20 and 30 nights (or whatever the new system is).

Anyways, when I travel for work, I much prefer a restaurant because I am not around enough to take advantage of day time and evening offerings anyways. But with the family, I do think I get good value at many lounges in terms of access to drinks, evening hors oeuvres etc vs a restaurant breakfast, but as I travel more and more and experience both good/bad lounges/rest. breakfasts, I am building preference still for a real breakfast (and no, I do not consider a cold breakfast to be a real breakfast benefit. Croissants, Bagels, cheese, and even lox can be cheaply and easily bought at a grocer and self-served in my room -- this is exactly what I did before I had any 'status' and when I was poorer and needed to watch my food budget )
ceebee100 and gspurr like this.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
I don't really consider that a hot breakfast. I saw whatever that egg thing was. I did not notice the oatmeal but they may have had it.

What you have described is standard for many HRs. I don't consider that an acceptable breakfast offering. If you went to a restaurant and those were the only hot offerings, you would probably not be pleased -- I don't see why the lounge standard should be lower.

Anyway I'm done ranting -- other than this, the hotel was amazing and I don't want to focus on the negative. I've already booked a return trip, so it's certainly not a deal breaker. For 20k pts this truly is a great value (I just booked for 20k when the rate was 569 + taxes). I think that this is a problem at many US HRs -- nothing in particular about this one.

I just think it would be nice if Hyatt would set the same standard for lounge breakfast that they do for restaurant breakfast. All else being equal, it seems best to avoid hotels with lounges as globalist. The lounges are supposed to be a value-add... instead they are the opposite.
Was the egg/bacon thing hot or cold?
Old Jun 18, 2019, 7:53 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
I'm a "Globalist" whose majority of stays are in Asia. Whenever I stay at a Hyatt in North America I'm always pretty shocked by the meagre breakfast offerings in the lounge compared to Asia. I do understand that the lounge is not the same as a full service restaurant, but surely Hyatts can do better than breakfast offerings that are so heavy on the carbs. At least half of the offerings are breads, pastries and cereal. A bit more protein would be nice.
59Impala and MarkOK like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.