Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Gripe/Rant: Lounge breakfast in the US

Old May 19, 2019, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It bothers me that Hyatts with lounges are allowed to weasel out of the globalist breakfast requirement by serving a cold breakfast. Sorry, but croissants and cold cuts are not breakfast.

I am finishing up a very enjoyable stay at the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach. I went to the lounge this morning, took one look at their sad breakfast offerings, and walked 15 min to a cafe for a real breakfast instead. In my experience, this is a common problem at Hyatt Regency properties in the US (not all, but most)

I feel that the existence of a lounge should not lower the breakfast requirements. If you went for a restaurant breakfast (at a non-lounge property) and were told that you could only order pastries and cold cuts, but no hot food, that would not be acceptable. So, why is it acceptable in a lounge?

If they want to offer a buffet-style breakfast, that's fine, but there should be bare minimum requirements on it -- it should at least include standard hot breakfast dishes like breakfast meats, eggs, and potatoes, as well as fresh fruits and pastries.

It's sad when breakfast at a $500/night resort is not even up to the standards of a Hyatt Place or a Holiday Inn Express.
bbbb, antonius66, markko and 1 others like this.
Old May 19, 2019, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
It bothers me that Hyatts with lounges are allowed to weasel out of the globalist breakfast requirement by serving a cold breakfast. Sorry, but croissants and cold cuts are not breakfast.

I am finishing up a very enjoyable stay at the Hyatt Regency Huntington Beach. I went to the lounge this morning, took one look at their sad breakfast offerings, and walked 15 min to a cafe for a real breakfast instead. In my experience, this is a common problem at Hyatt Regency properties in the US (not all, but most)

I feel that the existence of a lounge should not lower the breakfast requirements. If you went for a restaurant breakfast (at a non-lounge property) and were told that you could only order pastries and cold cuts, but no hot food, that would not be acceptable. So, why is it acceptable in a lounge?

If they want to offer a buffet-style breakfast, that's fine, but there should be bare minimum requirements on it -- it should at least include standard hot breakfast dishes like breakfast meats, eggs, and potatoes, as well as fresh fruits and pastries.

It's sad when breakfast at a $500/night resort is not even up to the standards of a Hyatt Place or a Holiday Inn Express.
Which chain currently offers a more generous breakfast benefit than Hyatt?
Old May 19, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I agree with the OP
Minimum standards are needed. Most places in my experiences are satisfactory, but there are some.....
Old May 19, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lighthouse206
Which chain currently offers a more generous breakfast benefit than Hyatt?
I think that the breakfast benefit at Hyatt overall is amazing. I'm talking specifically about those Hyatts that have lounges and don't serve hot food. They are not up to the standards of the rest of the Hyatt properties (including low-end ones like Cat 1 Hyatt Places)
Low_Value_Elite likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 4:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
More powdered eggs please...they are delicious (and free so they taste even better).
Old May 19, 2019, 4:38 pm

HR LAX said they decreased their offerings in the lounge to "meet the standard".

Lounges in the US generally stink anyway, compared to internationally.
rickg523 likes this.
Old May 19, 2019, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Ok I'll admit that I avoid Hyatt Place & House when possible but I do end up there sometimes and I've always gotten real eggs.

The HH in Scottsdale has an omelette bar.
Old May 19, 2019, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by VegasGambler

Wow - surprised to hear that about HB Hyatt! Have stayed there dozen+ times in the past and they have always had two hot items in the lounge for breakfast -- typically oatmeal plus one rotating hot item like egg and cheese in a bacon cup or huevos rancheros. That plus pastries and fruit has always made for a nice breakfast in the past. Could they have run out of the hot item temporarily (I'm hoping!)?
Old May 19, 2019, 6:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
We were just there last weekend and they had a nice spread. This was our second stay and both time breakfast was fine. This stay they had bacon wrapped eggs for the hot dish. Seemed just like all Regency Club offerings to us.
Old May 19, 2019, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I don't really consider that a hot breakfast. I saw whatever that egg thing was. I did not notice the oatmeal but they may have had it.

What you have described is standard for many HRs. I don't consider that an acceptable breakfast offering. If you went to a restaurant and those were the only hot offerings, you would probably not be pleased -- I don't see why the lounge standard should be lower.

Anyway I'm done ranting -- other than this, the hotel was amazing and I don't want to focus on the negative. I've already booked a return trip, so it's certainly not a deal breaker. For 20k pts this truly is a great value (I just booked for 20k when the rate was 569 + taxes). I think that this is a problem at many US HRs -- nothing in particular about this one.

I just think it would be nice if Hyatt would set the same standard for lounge breakfast that they do for restaurant breakfast. All else being equal, it seems best to avoid hotels with lounges as globalist. The lounges are supposed to be a value-add... instead they are the opposite.
Old May 19, 2019, 11:10 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Similarly, I was at a nice Hyatt, and the lounge provided an "evening service", and all it was was two hot items, some cold cuts, veggies, bread, and only one option for dessert.

Seriously, if you were going to a restaurant, that would not be acceptable. I do not understand why Hyatt cannot hold their lounges to a minimum standard of at least one beef entree (preferably a filet, but I'll settle for a ribeye since its free), one seafood dish, one chicken dish, and one vegetarian meal, and I would expect at least four or five dessert options.

What is the point of having a lounge offering, if I'm going to just go to a real restaurant to have the meal I want?
Old May 19, 2019, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

The evening food offering at the lounge is not meant to be a meal. There is no globalist dinner benefit. If there is no lounge you do not get complimentary restaurant dinner.

Globalists are, however, meant to get a full breakfast.
antonius66 and MarkOK like this.

Last edited by VegasGambler; May 19, 2019 at 11:48 pm
Old May 19, 2019, 11:43 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
Similarly, I was at a nice Hyatt, and the lounge provided an "evening service", and all it was was two hot items, some cold cuts, veggies, bread, and only one option for dessert.

Seriously, if you were going to a restaurant, that would not be acceptable. I do not understand why Hyatt cannot hold their lounges to a minimum standard of at least one beef entree (preferably a filet, but I'll settle for a ribeye since its free), one seafood dish, one chicken dish, and one vegetarian meal, and I would expect at least four or five dessert options.

What is the point of having a lounge offering, if I'm going to just go to a real restaurant to have the meal I want?
the evening offerings in the lounge are typically hors d'oevres, i.e. appetizers. Never meant to be a dinner like in a restaurant. Some lounges do offer this (e.g. GH Tampa Bay in the US, and tons of hotels outside the US), but it is not a benefit for Globalists to have a "dinner option" in the lounge
Old May 20, 2019, 7:21 am

Lots of "I want I want I want" from (seemingly) successful people here who (should) understand business....

You do realize it's currently a "seller's market" in hospitality, correct? If anything, we should be expecting cutbacks, not increases.

There are now only three real domestic competitors in the space (Hyatt, Marriott, and Hilton) and Hyatt already goes above and beyond the other two, spends more on its elites in various ways, etc. Hilton is closing domestic lounges like crazy, and we all know about Marriott's problems. It's simply unrealistic to expect Hyatt to require an increase in the cost of operating lounges (to the minimums suggested here) in the current market environment.

BTW, I know there are other "competitors" like Wyndham and IHG, etc.. but none of the those guys are truly competing for OUR business in terms of offering benefits comparable to the Hyatt, Marriott, and Hilton. If one of them DID step up - then you might see some reaction from "the big three" loyalty programs.

Also, Hyatt DOES have lounge standards... but providing hot food outside of oatmeal hasn't been one of them... some properties simply choose to go above and beyond and others don't.
Maui4me1 and 59Impala like this.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It seems strange that closing the lounge is essentially an upgrade to benefits. (given a choice, I'd prefer a real breakfast to lounge access)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.