Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Gripe/Rant: Lounge breakfast in the US

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gripe/Rant: Lounge breakfast in the US

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
Which chain currently offers a more generous breakfast benefit than Hyatt?
Hilton based properties. I actually got $30 for breakfast per person up to 2 at the Double Tree in Palm Springs.
Old May 20, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Lots of "I want I want I want" from (seemingly) successful people here who (should) understand business....

You do realize it's currently a "seller's market" in hospitality, correct? If anything, we should be expecting cutbacks, not increases.

There are now only three real domestic competitors in the space (Hyatt, Marriott, and Hilton) and Hyatt already goes above and beyond the other two, spends more on its elites in various ways, etc. Hilton is closing domestic lounges like crazy, and we all know about Marriott's problems. It's simply unrealistic to expect Hyatt to require an increase in the cost of operating lounges (to the minimums suggested here) in the current market environment.

BTW, I know there are other "competitors" like Wyndham and IHG, etc.. but none of the those guys are truly competing for OUR business in terms of offering benefits comparable to the Hyatt, Marriott, and Hilton. If one of them DID step up - then you might see some reaction from "the big three" loyalty programs.

Also, Hyatt DOES have lounge standards... but providing hot food outside of oatmeal hasn't been one of them... some properties simply choose to go above and beyond and others don't.
Honestly, if a Fairfield Inn in El Centro California has a better breakfast than the lounge at the Sheraton San Diego Marina then I think something needs to be improved.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by OUTraveling
Hilton based properties. I actually got $30 for breakfast per person up to 2 at the Double Tree in Palm Springs.
I value Hyatt club access as worth more than $30pp per day but that’s my opinion. Full service Hyatt restaurant breakfasts are also, in my opinion, much higher quality than typical Hilton brands. At most Hyatt’s there is no specific dollar limit... as long as you don’t order multiple entrees per person.

I was Hilton Diamond for a year and “experienced” it - no comparison with Hyatt Globalist.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by OUTraveling
Honestly, if a Fairfield Inn in El Centro California has a better breakfast than the lounge at the Sheraton San Diego Marina then I think something needs to be improved.
That’s a big stretch. The baseline Hyatt clubs have fresh cut fruit, smoked salmon, fresh cooked oatmeal, fresh pastries, etc. This (particularly freshly prepared non-instant non-reheated items) was not what I saw at any Fairfield Inn.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
It seems strange that closing the lounge is essentially an upgrade to benefits. (given a choice, I'd prefer a real breakfast to lounge access)
Like anything else, there are trade offs.

Lounge breakfast w/Hyatt has historically been some variation of Continental. But with the lounge you get all day access to free non-alcoholic drinks, free or low cost alcohol, and appetizers which can serve as a light dinner. That vs the full breakfast and nothing else at properties with no lounge.

It depends on what you value more but expecting a free Golden Corral isn’t very realistic.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO a cold breakfast can be very nice and even elegant. Moreover cold breakfast is the standard in some places, including most of Europe with the exception of England and Ireland of course.

I'm very happy, for example, with high quality croissants/brioches, good butter, fresh cut fruit or berries, smoked salmon, proscuitto, good cheese, etc. Much better than oatmeal, eggs, and sausages of some disgusting sort.
Old May 20, 2019, 11:42 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO a cold breakfast can be very nice and even elegant. Moreover cold breakfast is the standard in some places, including most of Europe with the exception of England and Ireland of course.

I'm very happy, for example, with high quality croissants/brioches, good butter, fresh cut fruit or berries, smoked salmon, proscuitto, good cheese, etc. Much better than oatmeal, eggs, and sausages of some disgusting sort.

Good point. I mostly stay in no-lounge full service Hyatt’s.... BUT at several w/lounge I’ve seen cold items that were high quality and probably more expensive than the sausage links and scrambled eggs (probably) expected by the OP....
Old May 20, 2019, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Like anything else, there are trade offs.

Lounge breakfast w/Hyatt has historically been some variation of Continental. But with the lounge you get all day access to free non-alcoholic drinks, free or low cost alcohol, and appetizers which can serve as a light dinner. That vs the full breakfast and nothing else at properties with no lounge.

It depends on what you value more but expecting a free Golden Corral isn’t very realistic.
I guess, I don't travel to sit in a hotel lounge. Breakfast is different -- it's a good and convenient way to start the day. But after that I'm not going to be in the hotel. At a resort it's a little different, but even then I'm going to be in the pool area -- I'm not going to leave to go to the lounge because I want a freecdrink. If I want a drink I'll pay for it at the pool.

If the lounge is offering cold breakfast I'm literally never going to set foot in it, making it a downgrade for me (since its presence prevents me from getting a complimentary breakfast at the restaurant).

I may start to gravitate more towards properties without a lounge, but there are some good beach resorts that are branded Regency and have club lounges. Again, it seems strange that closing the lounge would be an upgrade to the value I assign to the hotel.
Old May 20, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
More powdered eggs please...they are delicious (and free so they taste even better).
In that case one can stay at Marriott's Fairfiled, Townsuits, Holiday Inn exp etc etc.....
Old May 20, 2019, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
Similarly, I was at a nice Hyatt, and the lounge provided an "evening service", and all it was was two hot items, some cold cuts, veggies, bread, and only one option for dessert.

Seriously, if you were going to a restaurant, that would not be acceptable. I do not understand why Hyatt cannot hold their lounges to a minimum standard of at least one beef entree (preferably a filet, but I'll settle for a ribeye since its free), one seafood dish, one chicken dish, and one vegetarian meal, and I would expect at least four or five dessert options.

What is the point of having a lounge offering, if I'm going to just go to a real restaurant to have the meal I want?
I find this comical beyond words. You want "filet but will settle for a ribeye" PLUS a seafood dish, a chicken dish AND a vegetarian meal PLUS FOUR OR FIVE desserts? That is exactly why lounges have been cut to not even offer a decent breakfast in some places because there are so many people who treat them as and expect them to be full service free restaurants. I want to have a complete free morning noon and night meal service!!! I demand a $15 breakfast, a $25 lunch and a $35 dinner for free every day!

The cost of that would be insane, and combine that with the inevitable people who take trays of food out to their rooms, and making "crushing the club" a goal, and it is a non starter. Even in the nicer lounges I have been to in Asia and Europe, I have never seen "preferably a filet, but I'll settle for a ribeye since its free), one seafood dish, one chicken dish, and one vegetarian meal, and I would expect at least four or five dessert options." Honestly, I have to say that expectation is so out of bounds to me that it borders on offensive.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old May 20, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt LIFETIME Globalist
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
Similarly, I was at a nice Hyatt, and the lounge provided an "evening service", and all it was was two hot items, some cold cuts, veggies, bread, and only one option for dessert.

Seriously, if you were going to a restaurant, that would not be acceptable. I do not understand why Hyatt cannot hold their lounges to a minimum standard of at least one beef entree (preferably a filet, but I'll settle for a ribeye since its free), one seafood dish, one chicken dish, and one vegetarian meal, and I would expect at least four or five dessert options.

What is the point of having a lounge offering, if I'm going to just go to a real restaurant to have the meal I want?
Are you for real!!
Old May 20, 2019, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Maui4me1

Are you for real!!
Expectations/Entitlement really are an amazing thing. The reality is some Hyatt lounges actually DO raise the bar almost that high. GH Playa Del Carmen comes close, so does HR Seattle. Even the GH San Antonio puts out 4-5 different desserts every night. Perhaps these outliers are part of the problem: they cause people to expect every other property to rise to that level....

My guess: some properties have a larger number of people actually PAYING for the Club, whereas the ones that stick to minimums are probably (mostly) giving it away to Globs/Explorists...
Old May 20, 2019, 2:03 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
It seems some need to turn up their sarcasm detectors ...
Old May 20, 2019, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Expectations/Entitlement really are an amazing thing. The reality is some Hyatt lounges actually DO raise the bar almost that high. GH Playa Del Carmen comes close, so does HR Seattle. Even the GH San Antonio puts out 4-5 different desserts every night. Perhaps these outliers are part of the problem: they cause people to expect every other property to rise to that level....

My guess: some properties have a larger number of people actually PAYING for the Club, whereas the ones that stick to minimums are probably (mostly) giving it away to Globs/Explorists...
But here is the thing... a globalist IS entitled to free breakfast. If there is no lounge, then there is a free restaurant breakfast.

I don't see why that benefit should be scaled back at a property that has a lounge.

The dinner thing is a poor analogy because there is no free dinner benefit. You should consider yourself lucky to get anything at all -- free dinner is simply not something that a globalist is entitled to.
Old May 20, 2019, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
But here is the thing... a globalist IS entitled to free breakfast. If there is no lounge, then there is a free restaurant breakfast.

I don't see why that benefit should be scaled back at a property that has a lounge.

The dinner thing is a poor analogy because there is no free dinner benefit. You should consider yourself lucky to get anything at all -- free dinner is simply not something that a globalist is entitled to.
If you read the T&C's you will see that they "entitle" you to club access which includes a non-defined "breakfast." In the absence of a lounge, you are "entitled" to a "full breakfast" in the restaurant. Your interpretation has it in reverse...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.