PSA: Be careful when changing room rates

Old May 16, 19, 12:21 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,356
PSA: Be careful when changing room rates

A while ago I booked the Hyatt House in Portland for $212/night. A few weeks ago I was looking through my reservations and re-pricing them (I do this occasionally to capture price drops) and I saw that the price had dropped to $180.

It used to be that if you "modified" a reservation to the same room type, it would not reprice -- it would always show the old price. So the trick was to do 2 modifications back-to-back -- switch to a different room, then switch back. But this time I noticed that I could select the same room at the new price. Progress!

So I reselected, confirmed the price change to $180, and forgot about it.

Today I was looking through my stays and... $212. Strange. So I modified it again. Confirmed $180, and screenshotted it to be sure. A few minutes later I got the confirmation email, and I actually read it this time -- it still showed $212, as did my reservation in the app.

So I canceled and rebooked at the $180 rate.

So... be careful; this does NOT work. It will tell you it is modifying your reservation to the new price, but it isn't. Either switch to a different room type and immediately switch back, or cancel and rebook to capture the lower rate.

Hopefully they fix this bug soon. I'd like to report it, but I really don't know who to report it to.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old May 16, 19, 12:28 pm
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Minneapolis: DL DM charter 2.3MM
Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Posts: 83,789
I've always been nervous about trying to change hotel reservations myself as I fear that there could be a glitch or some quirk regarding availability, so I tend to make a new reservation and cancel the old, which gives me good email proof of the changes, but at times gets confusing if I somehow manage to cancel the wrong one. If I can't make the changes I want this way, I tend to call my private line agent or concierge, or even call the hotel directly.
MarkOK likes this.
MSPeconomist is offline  
Old May 16, 19, 12:35 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 7,200
So, explain to us again why making a booking at the lower rate, then cancelling the separate booking at a higher rate is a BAD thing? And why you should mess around with doing anything else?
bbbb likes this.
craigthemif is offline  
Old May 16, 19, 12:40 pm
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,356
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
So, explain to us again why making a booking at the lower rate, then cancelling the separate booking at a higher rate is a BAD thing? And why you should mess around with doing anything else?
Modifying, and selecting the room type you want is MUCH simpler. If it worked, that would be the way to go.

Modifying twice (switching to a different room, then back) is still simpler than the cancel/rebook route.

Also, even if you are inside the cancellation window, you can change room types without a cancellation fee. This is useful to capture last-minute price drops (I've done this before).
VegasGambler is offline  
Old May 16, 19, 12:41 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,905
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
Modifying, and selecting the room type you want is MUCH simpler. If it worked, that would be the way to go.

Modifying twice (switching to a different room, then back) is still simpler than the cancel/rebook route.

Also, even if you are inside the cancellation window, you can change room types without a cancellation fee. This is useful to capture last-minute price drops (I've done this before).
You mean as in within 2 days? Does it also work for prepaid/nonrefundable?
s0ssos is offline  
Old May 16, 19, 12:45 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 7,200
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
Modifying, and selecting the room type you want is MUCH simpler. If it worked, that would be the way to go.

Modifying twice (switching to a different room, then back) is still simpler than the cancel/rebook route.

Also, even if you are inside the cancellation window, you can change room types without a cancellation fee. This is useful to capture last-minute price drops (I've done this before).
If you say so. It sounds to me like a lot of effort and far more prone to error.

If it worked on non-refundable rates then I'd agree with you.
craigthemif is offline  
Old May 16, 19, 12:45 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,356
Originally Posted by s0ssos View Post
You mean as in within 2 days? Does it also work for prepaid/nonrefundable?
I mean within the time when you can't cancel for free. It varies based on the hotel. As globalist, the 2-day window is dropped to 24hr, but some hotels have much longer timeframes, which don't get reduced as globalist.

I have only ever booked non-refundable once, and I have never tried this. I believe those can't be modified at all, though, so I doubt it.
VegasGambler is offline  
Old May 16, 19, 7:06 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,508
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
A while ago I booked the Hyatt House in Portland for $212/night. A few weeks ago I was looking through my reservations and re-pricing them (I do this occasionally to capture price drops) and I saw that the price had dropped to $180.

It used to be that if you "modified" a reservation to the same room type, it would not reprice -- it would always show the old price. So the trick was to do 2 modifications back-to-back -- switch to a different room, then switch back. But this time I noticed that I could select the same room at the new price. Progress!

So I reselected, confirmed the price change to $180, and forgot about it.

Today I was looking through my stays and... $212. Strange. So I modified it again. Confirmed $180, and screenshotted it to be sure. A few minutes later I got the confirmation email, and I actually read it this time -- it still showed $212, as did my reservation in the app.

So I canceled and rebooked at the $180 rate.

So... be careful; this does NOT work. It will tell you it is modifying your reservation to the new price, but it isn't. Either switch to a different room type and immediately switch back, or cancel and rebook to capture the lower rate.

Hopefully they fix this bug soon. I'd like to report it, but I really don't know who to report it to.
I had experienced the same glitch as you, but did find out about it until I actually checked in to the hotel, and had to pay the higher rate. The difference was not much, but it was still a learning experience not to do this "modification" for future reservations. It is back to "cancel and rebook" again.
Fly Me To The Moon is offline  
Old May 16, 19, 11:16 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE Asia
Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Posts: 16,640
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post

Modifying twice (switching to a different room, then back) is still simpler than the cancel/rebook route.
That's why I only do the rebook/cancel. Much safer.
dsquared37 is offline  
Old May 17, 19, 8:46 am
  #10  
Company Representative: World of Hyatt
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Programs: World of Hyatt
Posts: 44
Good Morning VegasGambler,

I am sorry for the confusion. Would you be willing to send me a private message with those confirmations you had? I would be happy to look into this.

Best Regards,
John S
World of Hyatt Concierge is offline  
Old May 17, 19, 8:56 am
  #11  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: los angeles
Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM
Posts: 1,745
Originally Posted by World of Hyatt Concierge View Post
Good Morning VegasGambler,

I am sorry for the confusion. Would you be willing to send me a private message with those confirmations you had? I would be happy to look into this.

Best Regards,
John S
I had the same experience. If you try to modify a reservation into the same room type the rate doesn’t change even though a lower rate is shown. I modified to a different room type. Then when that was done I modified the changed room type back to the original room type to get the lower rate. The OP is correct.
mmgm is offline  
Old May 17, 19, 9:47 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: BOS
Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Posts: 754
If you do the modification twice, wouldn't you run the risk of the original room type being sold out or the rate not being available when you want to switch it back? Still, useful trick for inside the cancellation window if ok with risk.

Otherwise, I'd go with book and cancel.
pWei is offline  
Old May 17, 19, 9:57 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Programs: WOH - Globalist, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Posts: 102
Never knew about the "room type switch" trick - as a data point, it seems to work on Prive bookings, fully preserving Prive rate benefits, as opposed to having a Prive advisor redo the booking if cancelled and rebooked.
sch_flyer is offline  
Old May 17, 19, 10:15 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Madison, WI
Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 678
Originally Posted by pWei View Post
If you do the modification twice, wouldn't you run the risk of the original room type being sold out or the rate not being available when you want to switch it back? Still, useful trick for inside the cancellation window if ok with risk.

Otherwise, I'd go with book and cancel.
It is a risk, but very low risk because unlike airlines, Hyatt is pretty good about releasing the rooms back into inventory very shortly after the reservation is canceled.
jameswes is offline  
Old May 17, 19, 11:08 am
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 4,356
Originally Posted by jameswes View Post
It is a risk, but very low risk because unlike airlines, Hyatt is pretty good about releasing the rooms back into inventory very shortly after the reservation is canceled.
If you see a rate, that means that there is room availability (other than your room, which is booked). Switching back and forth takes under a minute.

Anything is possible, of course, but it seems incredibly unlikely that this is an is issue. Hotel inventory is just not that fast-moving.
VegasGambler is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread