Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Playa del Carmen - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old May 14, 2019, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AAdvantage EXP

Seems Thompson PDC moved over to Hyatt finally!
Main House is cat 3, Beach House is cat 5
Old May 14, 2019, 12:10 pm

Still prefer the Grand Hyatt PDC but this is welcome news.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:18 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
TPG (Zach Honig) posted a relatively negative review of the hotel after joining the Hyatt brand:
https://thepointsguy.com/reviews/tho...-house-review/

Personally, I loved Andaz Mayakoba so much I'm not sure I'm even going to try anything else in PDC. But it's always good to have options, so I'm happy for the additions.
Colin likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
Any more recent reviews? The Thompson Main property seems like a good redemption value at Category 3. Especially since the high taxes and resort fee are waived.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by araknis
Any more recent reviews? The Thompson Main property seems like a good redemption value at Category 3. Especially since the high taxes and resort fee are waived.
Walked past it many times. Looks nice but noisy (especially at night) and its farther from the beach than most would prefer (unless you dont care about the beach). Vastly prefer the Grand Hyatt.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 12:59 pm

So I'm thinking about staying at the Beach House for two nights in September instead of the other two Hyatts in Playa Del Carmen. Does anyone have any recent review of the Beach house?
Old Sep 9, 2020, 9:03 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
No, but we are trying to decide where to go next week. we are spending blissful 7 nights at andaz and deciding where to stay in city for 3 days after. GH or beach house?
Old Sep 9, 2020, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by nufnuf77
No, but we are trying to decide where to go next week. we are spending blissful 7 nights at andaz and deciding where to stay in city for 3 days after. GH or beach house?
Ive not been to either but I'm staying at the beach house next week and I can tell you they emailed me stating I could buy F&B credit for half price. Can't be used on taxes or gratuity bit still I can get $300 for $150 or however much I want. Also if you're going 3 nights you'll probably want to book a prive rate so you get 3rd night free $100 credit, category room upgrade and breakfast
bcosinteno likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 7:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by parrotheadmjb
Ive not been to either but I'm staying at the beach house next week and I can tell you they emailed me stating I could buy F&B credit for half price. Can't be used on taxes or gratuity bit still I can get $300 for $150 or however much I want. Also if you're going 3 nights you'll probably want to book a prive rate so you get 3rd night free $100 credit, category room upgrade and breakfast
sounds like a great deal! Do they waive destination fee for globalists?
Old Sep 10, 2020, 7:11 am

sounds like a great deal! Do they waive destination fee for globalists?
Yes but not the service fee. Again I've not yet been but they have to waive it, I read somewhere that someone did have an issue but as always you could just forward your bill to you my hyatt concierge if they refuse and they'll fix it without issue
Old Sep 10, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: LH HON
Would appreciate an update on your stay. I am looking for a venue to have someone placed there for necessary 14 days.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 10:54 am

I would strongly recommend the GH. I've stayed there more times than I can count and it's a blissful property - exceedingly well managed and with beyond-excellent Globalist treatment (if your a Globalist). You are very likely to get a nice suite with an oceanfront view.

In addition, the GH has excellent food service, and a to-die-for spa area themed like a Cenote under the hotel which is a GREAT place to relax. The architecture reminds me of the highest-end Hawaiian resorts with a lots of nods to local architecture (like the cacti/tequila farm growing on the rooftops). Unlike either Thompson (which look like typical California-style buildings) the GH is a very very unique building and an attraction all by itself. It's also right off of the main drag in Playa, but when you enter the Grand Hyatt you'll feel like your entering a luxury resort...

The Beach House has looked appealing, but it's basically tiny and wedged in between a bunch of other hotels so it won't feel secluded or quiet or especially private. The beach at PDC is NOT the greatest anyway, but I've often smelled a bit of sewer when I walk in the direction of the Beach House and other hotels in that area. I've never smelled sewer in front of the GH on the beach.

Admittedly, we've never stayed at either of the Thompsons in PDC but that's because we love the GH - truly one of our favorite hotels in the world, and we have pretty high standards.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2020, 6:01 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by txhyattlvr
I would strongly recommend the GH. I've stayed there more times than I can count and it's a blissful property - exceedingly well managed and with beyond-excellent Globalist treatment (if your a Globalist). You are very likely to get a nice suite with an oceanfront view.

In addition, the GH has excellent food service, and a to-die-for spa area themed like a Cenote under the hotel which is a GREAT place to relax. The architecture reminds me of the highest-end Hawaiian resorts with a lots of nods to local architecture (like the cacti/tequila farm growing on the rooftops). Unlike either Thompson (which look like typical California-style buildings) the GH is a very very unique building and an attraction all by itself. It's also right off of the main drag in Playa, but when you enter the Grand Hyatt you'll feel like your entering a luxury resort...

The Beach House has looked appealing, but it's basically tiny and wedged in between a bunch of other hotels so it won't feel secluded or quiet or especially private. The beach at PDC is NOT the greatest anyway, but I've often smelled a bit of sewer when I walk in the direction of the Beach House and other hotels in that area. I've never smelled sewer in front of the GH on the beach.

Admittedly, we've never stayed at either of the Thompsons in PDC but that's because we love the GH - truly one of our favorite hotels in the world, and we have pretty high standards.
TBH we are loving our bi-level suite at the Andaz in MAYAKOBA that we have for a week. We are just looking for some city-centre place so we can actually eat outside of hotel and do some shopping/exploring.
Mayakoba is lovely and relaxing so we wanna mix it up afterwards.
And frankly I wouldnt mind if AF cancelled our tickets home so I could extend by another week somewhere around here
Old Sep 25, 2020, 8:15 am

Heres the best room at the Thompson Beach House, its 3008. They have 3 suites with a plunge pool and the one on top would be the best in my opinion. Short unprofessional video https://photos.app.goo.gl/4eNbMie9Tc1Mi1QD8 . I got a bottle of wine at check-in as Globalist. I pre-paid for F&B deal for 50% off but I'm guessing I got less than that because of currency conversion and the bill didn't look quite right to me, but the bill wasn't categorized like most Hyatts like - Breakfast, lunch and dinner or alcohol codes on it. Also the view your room charges in the app had been disabled apparently so I couldn't track it without talking to front desk. If you stay here I would highly recommend the lobster its about 1.75 lbs of lobster, I can eat a substantial amount of food on vacation but it was pretty much enough for my wife and I with an app. Overall I enjoyed the hotel, unsure if I would stay here for a very extended period of time because the beach was a bit too crowded for my liking but thats anywhere in Playa del carmen I guess. I was also limited to the American breakfast for breakfast and I was only told on my second breakfast which is inconvenient esppcially since theres no way to track the charges so I don't know if I paid for the first breakfast where I ordered differently... The waiter could've also been confused thinking I only get a Prive breakfast since I also booked the hotel as a Prive rate. If you stay here I might recommend taking a photo of your bills, each bill has an identifying code at the top of the paper bill you sign and those numerical codes are basically all that shows up on the final bill. I think I would probably go back. The pool is small fyi but theres only 27 rooms or something like that, but when the main house is open again and those people venture over the beach and pool get very very crowded I expect. Very good beach and pool service, very good. I also enjoyed the sunset tequila tasting which was basically private since nobody else showed up for it.

Also the website shows two restaurants, at least right now only C Grill is open during the week they said Catch was only Friday/Saturday nights

Last edited by parrotheadmjb; Sep 25, 2020 at 1:39 pm
Old Sep 25, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
1.75 lb lobster has about 7 ounces of lobster meat, a great portion, but half would leave me very hungry.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.