Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, NYC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, NYC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2019, 12:11 pm

For 1 positive data point, I used a cat4 cert for a 1 night stay mid-week in mid-may and was upgraded as a globalist to a 1br suite without prompting.
cruisingmickey likes this.
Old Jun 3, 2019, 2:20 am
Original Poster
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Originally Posted by cruisingmickey
So no one has been able to successfully get a suite yet right? Did you guys try to ask or push back when the app clearly showed suites were available?

I have a cat 4 cert that is going to expire soon. Looking to try this place out. I'll report back if I decide to use it here.
@helvetic did you ask to speak to the manager or show them you were able to book a suite? there are multiple suites showing for me for the night i am looking at.
I was in a hurry when I checked in, so didn't deal with it then. The next morning I complained to the MoD but didn't get any resolution. Given more time, I'd have pushed back harder.
cruisingmickey likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2019, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
I'll be there later this year as an Explorist, so a decent chance I'll get a base level room. I'll report back.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:26 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
I stayed there as a globalist 4 nights last week (6/9-6/13). Was able to redeem a suite upgrade award about a week prior, no problem. Received the 560sq ft 1-BR King Suite from the website. Great room, especially by NYC standards. Will definitely stay at Gild Hall again (if I don't need to spend time further uptown) Excited to try the Beekman next time, heard great things.
Old Jun 18, 2019, 9:14 pm

I'm back from my 1 night stay. I was upgraded to the one bedroom suite as noted above, but with some prodding. I enjoyed the hotel and would gladly stay here again. Looking forward to trying out the other new hotels in the city.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Anyone know if dinner at Felice (the hotel restaurant) codes as Hyatt purchase (assuming billed to room)?
Old Jun 20, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Just FYI - the Gild Hall is now participating in Hyatt Privé. And it has no minimum stay requirement for Privé bookings. It is a $100 credit, daily breakfast for two and a room upgrade at the time of booking.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:16 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
We stayed here for 1 night last week, on a Privé rate. It didn't seem we received any kind of upgrade, either from the Privé program or my Glob status. Suites showed as available on the app when we checked in, but the front desk insisted they were sold out. The room was small, even by New York city standards, a bit oddly shaped, and the bathroom made the ones at GH NY seem spacious. There was no shelf space for our bathroom kits and barely room to turn around in front of the tub. The translucent bathroom wall was literally painful. Since turning on the bathroom light illuminated the entire room, I ended up fumbling around in the dark, banging into the corners of the bed, so as not to disturb my wife. As noted earlier, the AC was very noisy and struggled to get the room cool enough. The room would have benefited from some routine maintenance, too. The closet doors didn't want to slide open and the toilet ran until one took off the lid and properly seated the flap.

We did receive an amenity of a bowl of assorted fruit and a bottle of water, and took advantage of the Privé credit in the bar before dinner (outside of the hotel). The front desk struggled for several minutes at check out, trying to figure out the credit out, and how to apply it to our bill, but luckily, we weren't in any hurry.

Probably the highlight of our stay was the breakfast. We ordered off the regular menu in the restaurant, as there is no lounge, and found the variety of choices pretty typical. We each ordered coffee, juice, and a main menu item, as well as a side of bacon. The food was well prepared and tasty. Unlike our stay at the PH Paris the previous week, my wife's eggs were poached properly, and we were pleasantly surprised by the bacon. Instead of the 2 or 3 slices we expected, we were served a dish of about 10 slices. More than enough for both of us, and quite delicious, too.

The location was perfect for us, as we were there for the fireworks at the Brooklyn Bridge, and access via subway was easy. It's one of the very few category 4 options in the area, which is also a plus. While not our first choice in NYC, I could see staying here again, but would hope there's some rehab in the future.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
I had a recent 1-night stay on points. I was upgraded from a standard king to a larger (deluxe?) king room on the 15th floor.

The room was fine for one person, but there wasn’t a lot of storage space. The bathroom had an actual wall between it and the room, but there was very little storage space in the bathroom (my toiletry bag was on the sink). The bathroom smelled musty to me (I think the shower curtain might have been a little moldy or something). I think ventilation is an issue in the bathroom. I showered with the door to the bathroom open.

I appreciated the strong air conditioning in the room, given it was over 90 degrees Fahrenheit in the city. I actually had to turn the thermostat up during the night.

Bed was quite comfortable, and I appreciated the large, fluffy pillows. I am not a fan of the smaller, square pillows found at a lot of HRs, etc.

I didn’t really take advantage of the restaurant or other amenities, since I was out late and left early the next morning.

Overall, the stay was fine and a relatively good value on points (no amenity fee charged for elites). The room did show signs of wear and tear and could definitely use a refresh soon.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 2:47 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Hi All
Sitting on the fence here deciding if I should put my toes in the non Hyatt water
I don't like the sound of their upgrade policies here and while I don't need a suite I do need a reasonably spacious room vs a cramped bird cage
Sounds as if they are hesitant to get fully on board with WOH
Is the bed harder or firmer than the Grand Bed found at most Hyatt's?
Appreciate the feedback
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:13 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Hi All
I don't like the sound of their upgrade policies here and while I don't need a suite I do need a reasonably spacious room vs a cramped bird cage
Maybe you'll have better luck than we did, but without an upgrade, we found the room very cozy for 2 people.

I'm thinking the bed was slightly firmer than the typical HR bed, but I may not be the best judge. We had flown into NYC from Switzerland earlier in the day, then enjoyed the fireworks and great mass of New Yorkers. I slept well, but I was exhausted.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:36 pm

Appreciate the info SKJ
I'm thinking of going with Herald Square as I leave right after breakfast (and they do a good one) and the location works perfectly for me
Also I found a fair rate of 171 dollars for a night
Its an enlarged bird cage in room size having done it once before but I get in late and leave early so I suppose I will survive
Do plan to try Gild after seeing if they engage a bit better with the WOH program over time
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:50 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Hi All
Sitting on the fence here deciding if I should put my toes in the non Hyatt water
Sounds as if they are hesitant to get fully on board with WOH
Appreciate the feedback
My impression is that the bed is about on par with the Grand Beds at typical Hyatts in terms of firmness, but I hate the little square pillows at typical Hyatts so in that respect this hotel is better. I would say the bed is less firm than the beds at the Andazes at which I’ve stayed.

I think my (upgraded) room would be fine for 2 people, as long as you don’t have too much luggage and don’t need to hang up too many clothes. But definitely the Andaz Wall Street has much more spacious rooms, if that is a concern.

Overall, I felt elite recognition was pretty good, but I’m an Explorist rather than a Globalist. I got upgraded on a points stay, the agent asked if I wanted a late check out, and I was told the water in my room was free without any prompting on my part. I was staying for 1 night on a Thursday night.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:00 pm

Good to know Thank You!
For the record Andaz 5th Avenue has new beds if one gets a renovated room or suite and vastly superior to the previous beds IMHO softer yet still completely supportive
Andaz Wall Street has horrible hard as a rock cement beds but thankfully they offer foam toppers that solve the problem completely so no issue there
Now if they could get functioning A/C and heating I would def go back.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jul 8, 2019 at 4:07 pm
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Hi All
You might also consider the Beekman in the same neighborhood. I recall the bed being quite comfortable. The caveat is the bar draws a large, young, party crowd on weekends. So it's essential to get a room assignment that does not overlook the inner atrium.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.