Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, NYC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, NYC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2021, 11:16 pm

Just stayed here and the King Suite is really nice. Looks smaller due to dark colour but much warmer than the King Deluxe rooms due to the higher ceilings of the deluxe rooms. Overall a good stay. Great location.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 5:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by drod
I stayed at 50 Bowery in October and at Gild Hall this month. The breakfast offerings are similar in approach. At Gild Hall you get one beverage and one breakfast sandwich or breakfast main from this menu: https://butlermenu.com/gildhall?utm_...m_medium=flyer
Looking through that menu, I’m a little surprised that a full service Hyatt is charging $5 for a toothbrush and toothpaste and $5 for a face mask.

(Overpriced) $15 iPhone cables, sure. But charging for a “disposable” toothbrush and toothpaste at a full service property, even one that’s reasonably priced, seems a little “cheap”. And not in a good way.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 8:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
The "Butler" breakfast? I returned my remaining vouchers to the front desk after the first time. The italian restaurant was quite solid for food and drinks. They have more interesting wines. They also do a set lunch, which I didn't get a chance to try. Overall, it's a fine stay in the King Suite. This is not a location for lots of natural light or views, however. Decently quiet for sleep during the night, though be aware of possible parking garage noise (for rooms facing hotel entrance) or garbage truck noise around 11p.
IIRC they have 3 king suites.

50 Bowery was the opposite. Bright, high floors have views, but be aware of street noise from the very busy thoroughfares next to the hotel. They have just 1 standard suite.
rogo likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2021, 8:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pWei
The "Butler" breakfast? I returned my remaining vouchers to the front desk after the first time. The italian restaurant was quite solid for food and drinks. They have more interesting wines. They also do a set lunch, which I didn't get a chance to try. Overall, it's a fine stay in the King Suite. This is not a location for lots of natural light or views, however. Decently quiet for sleep during the night, though be aware of possible parking garage noise (for rooms facing hotel entrance) or garbage truck noise around 11p.
IIRC they have 3 king suites.

50 Bowery was the opposite. Bright, high floors have views, but be aware of street noise from the very busy thoroughfares next to the hotel. They have just 1 standard suite.
How do the "vouchers" work for the "Butler" breakfast? Seems like there's a few basic mains plus sides and drinks. Is it strictly one drink and one main (no sides)?

My prospective stays are both in the 2-3 week range so I'm not hopeful for any upgrade beyond what I've booked (which is the most base of base rooms ).
Old Mar 12, 2021, 2:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, IHG Diamond, Omni Platinum
You scan the barcode on the voucher and it populates a code. You select your items and that's it. No tax or tip added and the system systematically limits you to 1 food and 1 drink option. I don't even think you can add more items and pay for it if you wanted. My order was delivered to my room soon after ordering it. I'm not sure if it was made on site or from a neighboring restaurant, but I think the quality was perfectly fine.

Are you planning on working from the room? I did from both 50B and GH. At GH, the desk is long enough for two monitors but isn't very deep. Also, the chair isn't comfortable. IIRC, the same is true at 50B.

And echoing someone else above, GH doesn't get much natural light, so if that's important to you then go with 50B.

Last edited by drod; Mar 12, 2021 at 4:10 pm
Old Mar 12, 2021, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by drod
Are you planning on working from the room? I did from both 50B and GH. At GH, the desk is long enough for two monitors but isn't very deep. Also, the chair isn't comfortable. IIRC, the same is true at 50B.

And echoing someone else above, GH doesn't get much natural light, so if that's important to you then go with 50B.
Yes, I'm planning on doing a little work from the room but nothing "full time". I have worked from the 50B rooms before and agree with your comments (the "desk" isn't very deep, it's at a somewhat awkward height and the chair isn't particularly comfortable after an hour or so).

I do like natural light - although I'm not sure if it's worth the premium for 50B (plus the location of 50B isn't as convenient for me as the GH).
Old Mar 12, 2021, 7:25 pm

The Butler food seems to be from somewhere in Brooklyn and bilked over. The one I had tasted vaguely like soap, and had a mild stomachache later. Quality level seemed like HP level. Bit glitchy system too. So, hard pass.
Old Mar 13, 2021, 6:09 am

The Butler food seems to be from somewhere in Brooklyn and bilked over. The one I had tasted vaguely like soap, and had a mild stomachache later. Quality level seemed like HP level. Bit glitchy system too. So, hard pass.
Brooklyn?!

Have things gotten that bad in FiDi that they need to bike deli breakfast food over from other boroughs? I’d be a little shocked if they were bringing made to order food in from Brooklyn vs the many local (within a few blocks) options.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 1:15 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
It's definitely not made on site.

And it's definitely not biked over from Brooklyn.

My guess is a commercial kitchen / restaurant not far from Gild Hall (based on how fresh it seemed to be)
Old Mar 14, 2021, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by rogo
It's definitely not made on site.

And it's definitely not biked over from Brooklyn.

My guess is a commercial kitchen / restaurant not far from Gild Hall (based on how fresh it seemed to be)
Digging around a bit, it seems like the Butler Menu service is actually pretty widely used in NYC right now - lots of Hilton and Marriot brands in the list as well as the lower end Hyatts (Hyatt Place/House as well as the Gild Hall).

https://www.butlermenu.com/?locale=en

Its an interesting business concept, although I can imagine it would get a little repetitive having exactly the same breakfast options at so many different hotels. Looking at the Thompson Chicago menu it seems exactly the same as the Gild Hall and other NYC property menus.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 1:21 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Originally Posted by coleslaw
Its an interesting business concept, although I can imagine it would get a little repetitive having exactly the same breakfast options at so many different hotels. Looking at the Thompson Chicago menu it seems exactly the same as the Gild Hall and other NYC property menus.
It was also totally unimpressive.

I do like the use of cloud kitchens conceptually, but a fresh breakfast really needs to be cooked on site.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 8:28 am

Butler offers a tracker, and I vaguely remember hitting the link shortly after ordering and seeing Brooklyn. Depends on the accuracy of the tracker.

When I returned the many vouchers, front desk told me it was a temporary thing as the restaurant is not open for breakfast. Not sure how much stock to put into that.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 8:32 am

When I returned the many vouchers, front desk told me it was a temporary thing as the restaurant is not open for breakfast. Not sure how much stock to put into that.
It would need to be pretty dire for me to actually return the vouchers. I haven't actually tried any of the food - but it looks like it'd at least be of a Dunkin/McDs/Starbucks breakfast standard.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 9:59 am

Soap taste + slight stomachache did it for me. Plenty of options nearby.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 10:01 am

Soap taste + slight stomachache did it for me. Plenty of options nearby.
Fair enough. Do you remember what you ordered?

Looking through the list of properties using this service across , I think I’ll be having lots of Butler breakfasts over the course of the year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.