Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, NYC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, NYC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2021, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by sbedelman
No. The same people (waiter, greeter) each day. But every day the rules are different.

I couldn't take another day of eggs so paid for French toast. Even though it was a less expensive than the included American breakfast they charged full price with no credit, not even the $11 (half off the menu price) they were offering other guests yesterday.

I'm not clear how the new policy of only offering the one hot option when the other options that used to be available are the same price or cheaper benefits the restaurant but my sense is it's hurting the hotel.
This is atrocious. Sorry you're experiencing this...shouldn't be this way at all.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by coleslaw
That is much worse.
The line staff are just trying to do their jobs. This a management problem.

Bottom line is be aware that the rules at Gild Hall have changed. Globalists are limited to one of three entrees for breakfast, only one which is hot. If you don't like eggs and want a hot meal then you can buy your own breakfast.

Also be aware that because they are valuing the breakfast at $11 rather than the actual menu price which is about double the tip which is supposed to be included is based on the lower, artificial price for breakfast. I was able to see this because of the way the bill was presented one of the days, but the other day it was hidden and there wasn't an option to give additional tip all of which leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Wow. Awesome Maximus.

I guess I and the missus have a lot to look forward to on this first ever stay at this property next week.

David
Old Oct 28, 2021, 9:37 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I've always heard small dark noisy rooms with beds as firm as cement and since Covid awful breakfasts
That kept me far away from booking! Can't be all bad?
Old Oct 28, 2021, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I've always heard small dark noisy rooms with beds as firm as cement and since Covid awful breakfasts
I can't speak to anything other than our room which while small, is delightful. The bed is fine. If it weren't for the problems with the independently run restaurant I'd rate the property quite highly.

The awful breakfasts were take in while the restaurant was closed. Now that it's open the food is very good that won't be an issue. Just be prepared to stick with one of the three allowed entrees or pay for your own breakfast.

Whether the problem are solely due to the restaurant or the hotel is partially responsible for the decisions I can't say but they have made the stay less pleasant and when I went to pick up a pro forma bill from the desk clerk tonight he volunteered that since breakfast restarted on Tuesday they've been getting a lot of complaints from guests so I'm not the only one having issues.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 11:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Whether the problem are solely due to the restaurant or the hotel is partially responsible for the decisions I can't say but they have made the stay less pleasant and when I went to pick up a pro forma bill from the desk clerk tonight he volunteered that since breakfast restarted on Tuesday they've been getting a lot of complaints from guests so I'm not the only one having issues.
If their goal is to discourage Globalist stays, they may well succeed
Old Oct 29, 2021, 1:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I don’t think the rooms are that small by NYC standards…
Old Oct 29, 2021, 3:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, United LT Silver
Here now... just checked in today. Hotel is sold out, so only upgraded to a King Deluxe (one level up from standard). It's definitely not a NYC small room. Plenty of space.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The line staff are just trying to do their jobs. This a management problem.

Bottom line is be aware that the rules at Gild Hall have changed. Globalists are limited to one of three entrees for breakfast, only one which is hot. If you don't like eggs and want a hot meal then you can buy your own breakfast.

Also be aware that because they are valuing the breakfast at $11 rather than the actual menu price which is about double the tip which is supposed to be included is based on the lower, artificial price for breakfast. I was able to see this because of the way the bill was presented one of the days, but the other day it was hidden and there wasn't an option to give additional tip all of which leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Almost like they don't guests to have breakfast with all the shenanigans.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 5:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
I agree, the one I had in July I'd actually say is decent to large by NYC standards.

Breakfast seems like a bit of a show, though I'd be surprised if its worse than Butler. I'll be back there in a few days, but will only be staying one night, so I can handle "eggs"
Old Oct 31, 2021, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA MM *G, AA EXP, OW Emerald, Hyatt Globalist, Gold everywhere else
Thrilled to see breakfast is back, since the Butler service was an utter disaster. Staying this whole week, so will be experimenting with breakfast options. Standard fare to start, then we'll see what alternates they allow. In general (across Hyatt as a whole), I've found that as long as you stay reasonable, the front desk will take care of breakfast if it ends up getting billed.
Old Oct 31, 2021, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by paranoiatx
Thrilled to see breakfast is back, since the Butler service was an utter disaster. Staying this whole week, so will be experimenting with breakfast options. Standard fare to start, then we'll see what alternates they allow. In general (across Hyatt as a whole), I've found that as long as you stay reasonable, the front desk will take care of breakfast if it ends up getting billed.
The vouchers do look to be very specific in what they cover. So just be prepared to pay for whatever it is you order outside of what’s stated on the vouchers
Old Nov 1, 2021, 3:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, United LT Silver
Just checked out from a 3-night stay. It was fine. My King Deluxe room was quite large for NYC standards. Was only able to have breakfast on one morning; too late the first day (despite what the website says, they only serve breakfast on the weekends until 11am, not 11:45am) and it was closed for a private party on Sunday. Eggs came with baby potatoes and 3 or 4 strips of bacon. I had the omelet which was well prepared and tasty (I was warned that it comes plain). It was a nice breakfast. Wasn't able to try the other options. Nothing to sign when you're done. Since they restaurant is independently run, I doubt you have much luck getting charges removed if you add items or try to make changes.

Be aware that if the hotel is busy, the elevator may take forever. More than once, I took the stairs up and down to the 8th floor.

One other note: Valet parking does not include in and out privileges. I worked in NYC for a decade and know all the lots are pretty much valet but never stayed at hotels much here and never with a car before. Maybe I'm naive, but if a hotel lists valet parking as a service, I automatically expect in and out privileges. It would have been helpful if it was noted on the hotel's webpage or mentioned when dropping it off. I dropped my girlfriend off at the airport this morning and came back for less than three hours before checking out... extra $55. Lesson learned. Luckily, they agreed to remove the charge after allegedly speaking with the lot manager.
Old Nov 1, 2021, 3:55 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by puddy
Just checked out from a 3-night stay. It was fine. My King Deluxe room was quite large for NYC standards. Was only able to have breakfast on one morning; too late the first day (despite what the website says, they only serve breakfast on the weekends until 11am, not 11:45am) and it was closed for a private party on Sunday. Eggs came with baby potatoes and 3 or 4 strips of bacon. I had the omelet which was well prepared and tasty (I was warned that it comes plain). It was a nice breakfast. Wasn't able to try the other options. Nothing to sign when you're done. Since they restaurant is independently run, I doubt you have much luck getting charges removed if you add items or try to make changes.

Be aware that if the hotel is busy, the elevator may take forever. More than once, I took the stairs up and down to the 8th floor.

One other note: Valet parking does not include in and out privileges. I worked in NYC for a decade and know all the lots are pretty much valet but never stayed at hotels much here and never with a car before. Maybe I'm naive, but if a hotel lists valet parking as a service, I automatically expect in and out privileges. It would have been helpful if it was noted on the hotel's webpage or mentioned when dropping it off. I dropped my girlfriend off at the airport this morning and came back for less than three hours before checking out... extra $55. Lesson learned. Luckily, they agreed to remove the charge after allegedly speaking with the lot manager.
A plain omelette sounds boring.No cheese?After parking your a prisoner other than to pay your way out?
Elevator takes forever sometimes? Hopefully when you aren't in a rush Doesn't sound like the stay of my dreams
Long as you are happy thats all that counts.I'm a tougher guest
Old Nov 1, 2021, 8:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Originally Posted by puddy
. . . . .and it was closed for a private party on Sunday. . . ..
. . . .and there was no alternative arranged for other guests?

Really thought hard about this place. Sounded interesting, and I've never been to a Thompson Hotel. But in the end changed destinations away from New York two or three times. Even made and cancelled reservations once. Sounding like I made the right decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.