Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Grand Reserve Puerto Rico REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Grand Reserve Puerto Rico REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Old Jan 6, 2024, 12:36 pm

Complimentary Globalist Regency Suite Upgrade!

I stayed here solo in November for 5 nights (first night on points, next 3 nights paid w/ last night free as part of b3g1 + $100 hotel offer). The first night I was upgraded as a Globalist to the ocean front room, was quite nice and some people above have posted pictures of that. The last 4 nights were probably history-making. After some light and friendly banter with the desk staff person, she checked in the system and I received a complimentary upgrade to the Regency Suite as a Globalist. Yes, the house with the plunge pool on the north side of the property that is not officially participating in the World of Hyatt program. It was as spectacular as we'd all imagine, though very far from Water's edge. Luckily there were often carts circling the property that would pick you up mid walk, and the breakfast was the best I have ever seen (of course, fully complimentary including tip came out to about $45 for 1 person daily). Valet parking was also complimentary for all nights, which I believe was $28/day. For my first time in PR and traveling solo in general, they really really really made it special. Moral of the story: globalist is the best status in the entire hotel game, and when mixed with friendly interactions the staff will treat you like a Pritzker .
Old Jan 6, 2024, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by bccsam
I stayed here solo in November for 5 nights (first night on points, next 3 nights paid w/ last night free as part of b3g1 + $100 hotel offer). The first night I was upgraded as a Globalist to the ocean front room, was quite nice and some people above have posted pictures of that. The last 4 nights were probably history-making. After some light and friendly banter with the desk staff person, she checked in the system and I received a complimentary upgrade to the Regency Suite as a Globalist. Yes, the house with the plunge pool on the north side of the property that is not officially participating in the World of Hyatt program. It was as spectacular as we'd all imagine, though very far from Water's edge. Luckily there were often carts circling the property that would pick you up mid walk, and the breakfast was the best I have ever seen (of course, fully complimentary including tip came out to about $45 for 1 person daily). Valet parking was also complimentary for all nights, which I believe was $28/day. For my first time in PR and traveling solo in general, they really really really made it special. Moral of the story: globalist is the best status in the entire hotel game, and when mixed with friendly interactions the staff will treat you like a Pritzker .
Welcome to FT.

(1) Was the plunge pool heated?
(2) You're saying the buffet breakfast was the best you've ever had at a hotel? (?!) What are your normal travel patterns like?
Old Jan 6, 2024, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Welcome to FT.

(1) Was the plunge pool heated?
(2) You're saying the buffet breakfast was the best you've ever had at a hotel? (?!) What are your normal travel patterns like?
1. Plunge pool was not heated. The pool guys did come to put chemicals in and raise the water level though.
2. I don't travel super often as I am 24 and just recently got into the points and miles game the past few years. When I do, the breakfast is usually club lounge at grand hyatt (average), continental at hyatt place/house (acceptable), or a la carte (great). The buffet at the grand reserve had everything I would desire to order a la carte, but it was unlimited and of consistent high quality every day.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
2. I don't travel super often as I am 24 and just recently got into the points and miles game the past few years. When I do, the breakfast is usually club lounge at grand hyatt (average), continental at hyatt place/house (acceptable), or a la carte (great). The buffet at the grand reserve had everything I would desire to order a la carte, but it was unlimited and of consistent high quality every day.
Thanks for the context, that makes sense. I put the Grand Reserve buffet in the "acceptable" category based on my own preferences: I wouldn't pay for it, but it's worth going to if it's free (with rare exception, I skip HP/HH breakfasts because I won't eat the liquid egg product or crunchy cubes of melon, etc). I do think it's one of the best breakfast buffets I've seen in Puerto Rico. I just have a strong preference for a la carte options: the best, for me, is a buffet that also allows you to order items a la carte.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Thanks for the context, that makes sense. I put the Grand Reserve buffet in the "acceptable" category based on my own preferences: I wouldn't pay for it, but it's worth going to if it's free (with rare exception, I skip HP/HH breakfasts because I won't eat the liquid egg product or crunchy cubes of melon, etc). I do think it's one of the best breakfast buffets I've seen in Puerto Rico. I just have a strong preference for a la carte options: the best, for me, is a buffet that also allows you to order items a la carte.
In general, if you contact the hotel manager as a globalist and express unhappiness with the club lounge breakfast offering, they will offer you the breakfast that non-globalists get (buffet or a la carte). I have done this at the Grand Hyatt Buckhead Atlanta, where the club offering was very unacceptable imo, didn't even have eggs. They allowed me to go downstairs with my father and get the buffet, which was above average. Will be staying at Park Hyatt DC with globalist + FHR this weekend which I think has a la carte breakfast, very exited!
Old Jan 7, 2024, 8:39 pm

In general, if you contact the hotel manager as a globalist and express unhappiness with the club lounge breakfast offering, they will offer you the breakfast that non-globalists get (buffet or a la carte). I have done this at the Grand Hyatt Buckhead Atlanta, where the club offering was very unacceptable imo, didn't even have eggs. They allowed me to go downstairs with my father and get the buffet, which was above average. Will be staying at Park Hyatt DC with globalist + FHR this weekend which I think has a la carte breakfast, very exited!
Yeah, but my willingness to be a problem customer only goes so far. Generally I am fine simply paying for things that I'm not entitled to. If the club breakfast is so bad as to be a joke (and it sounds like the GH Buckhead's was) then sure. But a lot of lounges (and even restaurant buffets) have the industrial liquid egg product, and lots of people are fine w/ it, so I can't fault properties at the HR level (or even a domestic GH) for offering it.

PH DC is one of the good ones, and they have fixed it so that you actually have enough credit to enjoy a full breakast now.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 10:47 pm

^Interesting, I'll have to remember that tip. Although 95% of my travel is as a party of 2 adults and 2 kids so it's a bit of a tougher ask to get comped restaurant breakfast. Looking over my notes from the past 3 years, GH San Francisco and HR Orlando are the only Hyatts where I've felt the lounge offering was subpar.
Old Jan 18, 2024, 8:19 pm

Is there a consensus on staying here versus the Vacation Club as a Globalist?
Old Jan 18, 2024, 9:25 pm

Iirc the vacation club offers nothing in the way of elite benefits. I don't love the HR but it's nice enough and good if you want to visit El Yunque.
Old Jan 23, 2024, 9:39 am

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Can a Club Lounge pass/cert be used here for the breakfast, in lieu of the Lounge which obviously doesnt exist anymore....
Old Jan 23, 2024, 10:19 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
Can a Club Lounge pass/cert be used here for the breakfast, in lieu of the Lounge which obviously doesnt exist anymore....
No
Old Jan 26, 2024, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by projectmaximus
Iirc the vacation club offers nothing in the way of elite benefits. I don't love the HR but it's nice enough and good if you want to visit El Yunque.
Thanks. Will be staying here for the free breakfast and the potential upgrades we might get. Going for 4 nights with my parents and it looks like a nice place.
Old Mar 17, 2024, 1:40 pm
Rd3

Programs: HH Dia, Marriott Titanium, AA Gold, UA Silver
Explorist Experience

Just got back from a points stay
-Denied 2PM checkout, as they were 'full' -kind of annoying, but it is what it is.
-Auto-grautity on all checks -even when
ordering a Coke & Ginger Ale from the lobby bar
-Some minor housekeeping hickups
A decent value on points, I'm not sure I would pay the regular cash rate to stay here,.however.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.