Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Grand Reserve Puerto Rico REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Grand Reserve Puerto Rico REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Old Mar 28, 2023, 10:10 am

Programs: Hyatt, Southwest
A week in March

Spent last week at the property. We spent 5 nights. I burned a Cat 1-4 certificate on night one, and then it was peak pricing for the other 4 nights at 18k points. It's an easy drive from the airport and takes about 40 minutes or so, but we were coming from SJU and spent lunch at the kiosks at Pinones.

Before arrival, we were upgraded from the standard king with garden view the day prior in the app to the Ocean Front King. The hotel doesn't accept SUAs, and only has a couple of bookable suites as I understand it, so I was pretty stoked with the upgrade. Room was excellent. Plenty of room. Patio walked right out and was steps from the beach. We had room 1701.

View from room 1701

Room 1701 - Oceanfront King

The Breakfast was a decent buffet at $29/pp and had zero issues with parking or breakfast at the hotel being comped as a Globalist. Our last day on Saturday when we checked out was the first day the breakfast showed up on my folio via the app. But a quick stop by the front desk when we checked out and they profusely apologized to me, even though I wasn't upset.

Breakfast Buffet Each Morning. 16% gratuity included in restaurants, but always highlighted and pointed out. Market had a 10% gratuity as well.

On site food was limited to Sushi/Japanese, Prime Steakhouse (that weeks prior didn't have any reservations available), and their new restaurant Nectar which was only open Wed-Sun evenings. We love getting out and eating local so we got out every day. We did eat at Nectar, a newer onsite restaurant one night and found it pricy for how we usually spend/eat, but super delicious. With an appetizer and two entrees (we don't drink anything but water), it was $90, but well worth it in my opinion. It's only a 10 minute drive out of the property to the main highway where local places start popping up. There's a pizza place we ate at our last night that has good pizza, with a Puerto Rican flair called Koko's. We got the tripleta pizza, and while it wasn't the best pizza I've ever had, if you like to try new things, I highly recommend it (chicken, ham, and bacon and cheese, covered with shoestring fries and mayo ketchup). We also drove east a bit near the Wyndham resort and found Cheesecake Fun by Lury. If you like Cheesecake, I highly suggest it. The owner was so sweet, and it is literally some of the best cheesecake I've ever had.

North end of the peninsula. The beach had shells and seaweed, but was still very easy to space away from people. Didn't see many people moving north.

The beach seems to be a major issue for many people here, and I get it. There was definitely seaweed, and it's not the white sandy beaches I think many people dream of, but for a beach location, I loved it. Everything is very spread out and easy to access places to feel alone. We went to Grand Hyatt Kauai last year, and I never felt like we were able to feel secluded because the pool was always packed, and there was not much of a beach...to me this property is the complete opposite, which appeals to me so much for than GH Kauai. We walked the beach every single day and went as far north as we could to just look for shells. It was beautiful and we rarely saw anyone.

Main pool. Stayed very busy. We never went here and stayed at the adult only pool...where it was rarely adults only. But, there was no signage to signify it was adults only, so I don't think families were to blame.

The main pool was very busy each day and had families with kids. We left the 8 year old at home, so we went each day to the smaller adults only pool. We were told it was adults only at check in, but every time we were there, there were families with kids. Fortunately, the kids were great and well behaved. At first, I thought it was just parents who thought the rules didn't apply to them, but throughout the week I found signage to be lacking. There's nothing that says it is an adult only pool, so I can understand why they would go there instead of the bigger pool that was busier and potentially a further walk from their rooms. Either way, we sat at this pool every day and found plenty of space to spread out.

Property layout. Left side I believe is the vacation club? Right side is bookable rooms? But I couldn't get an answer from the front desk that made sense to me when I asked about it.

The map layout shows how sprawling the property is. I believe there are around 530 total rooms. The first three days it seemed to be low numbers, which was excellent. The room key we received was a stretchy bracelet with a wooden key on it, which for someone who is impressed with little things like that, I thought it was neat. Total curiosity on my part, but there were very few people on property with that bracelet and key. Most others had the plastic bracelets that have the locking buttons on it with a white plastic key. This was just observation, but I'm pretty sure it's internal code for the workers. We asked the front desk agent about it and he told us it was internal based on whether people were staying on the north or the south side, but I'm assuming there was more to it because our keys were different. Unsure if it had to do with status as Globalists, because everyone received the same service. This was just a goofy observation on my part, and maybe others have stayed there and can share insight, because my wife and I started looking at everyone's wrists to see if we could make sense of the multiple different keys/bracelets...and we have no idea.

The only negative I found, and it wasn't really a major...was Spectrum had a gigantic event at the hotel starting Thursday night and running five days. So our first three days were empty, but then Spectrum showed up. That wasn't an issue, but it changed the feel because there was a lot more activity. They had their events with hundreds of people to themselves, so it didn't impact breakfast, the pool, or eating. But, our room was next to the gigantic pavilion they used for their opening meeting, and the music was insanely loud...but fortunately, they respected everyone by stopping promptly at 10pm. So, to be honest, I was impressed that a large group of 600+ (we were told they took about 60% of the hotel), really didn't impact the operations. Nonetheless, I'm only 37 but I'm an old soul, and the loud music made me want to scream to get off my lawn.

All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to head back to the Grand Reserve. I'd read a lot of reviews and was expecting so-so service and just an underwhelming time...but honestly, after spending 2022 at Grand Hyatt Kauai and 2023 at HR Grand Reserve...I'd opt for Grand Reserve 10 out of 10 times. It was much easier to spread out and get away from people that I couldn't find at Kauai. The beach was obviously much larger, even though it had a bit of seaweed. Harder to get to local food options (took about 10 minutes) but felt lest touristy. Probably the biggest win was the fact that it's a lot easier to get to SJU than LIH.

So, my personal opinion is HR Grand Reserve>GH Kauai. It seems in Hyatt world, this is blasphemy, but it ticked all the boxes that I like and love, and for even 20k points a night, I find it a great value.
Noeapantoja likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2023, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by mrakers85
Spent last week at the property. We spent 5 nights. I burned a Cat 1-4 certificate on night one, and then it was peak pricing for the other 4 nights at 18k points. It's an easy drive from the airport and takes about 40 minutes or so, but we were coming from SJU and spent lunch at the kiosks at Pinones.

Before arrival, we were upgraded from the standard king with garden view the day prior in the app to the Ocean Front King. The hotel doesn't accept SUAs, and only has a couple of bookable suites as I understand it, so I was pretty stoked with the upgrade. Room was excellent. Plenty of room. Patio walked right out and was steps from the beach. We had room 1701.

View from room 1701

The Breakfast was a decent buffet at $29/pp and had zero issues with parking or breakfast at the hotel being comped as a Globalist. Our last day on Saturday when we checked out was the first day the breakfast showed up on my folio via the app. But a quick stop by the front desk when we checked out and they profusely apologized to me, even though I wasn't upset.

Breakfast Buffet Each Morning. 16% gratuity included in restaurants, but always highlighted and pointed out. Market had a 10% gratuity as well.

On site food was limited to Sushi/Japanese, Prime Steakhouse (that weeks prior didn't have any reservations available), and their new restaurant Nectar which was only open Wed-Sun evenings. We love getting out and eating local so we got out every day. We did eat at Nectar, a newer onsite restaurant one night and found it pricy for how we usually spend/eat, but super delicious. With an appetizer and two entrees (we don't drink anything but water), it was $90, but well worth it in my opinion. It's only a 10 minute drive out of the property to the main highway where local places start popping up. There's a pizza place we ate at our last night that has good pizza, with a Puerto Rican flair called Koko's. We got the tripleta pizza, and while it wasn't the best pizza I've ever had, if you like to try new things, I highly recommend it (chicken, ham, and bacon and cheese, covered with shoestring fries and mayo ketchup). We also drove east a bit near the Wyndham resort and found Cheesecake Fun by Lury. If you like Cheesecake, I highly suggest it. The owner was so sweet, and it is literally some of the best cheesecake I've ever had.

North end of the peninsula. The beach had shells and seaweed, but was still very easy to space away from people. Didn't see many people moving north.

The beach seems to be a major issue for many people here, and I get it. There was definitely seaweed, and it's not the white sandy beaches I think many people dream of, but for a beach location, I loved it. Everything is very spread out and easy to access places to feel alone. We went to Grand Hyatt Kauai last year, and I never felt like we were able to feel secluded because the pool was always packed, and there was not much of a beach...to me this property is the complete opposite, which appeals to me so much for than GH Kauai. We walked the beach every single day and went as far north as we could to just look for shells. It was beautiful and we rarely saw anyone.

Main pool. Stayed very busy. We never went here and stayed at the adult only pool...where it was rarely adults only. But, there was no signage to signify it was adults only, so I don't think families were to blame.

The main pool was very busy each day and had families with kids. We left the 8 year old at home, so we went each day to the smaller adults only pool. We were told it was adults only at check in, but every time we were there, there were families with kids. Fortunately, the kids were great and well behaved. At first, I thought it was just parents who thought the rules didn't apply to them, but throughout the week I found signage to be lacking. There's nothing that says it is an adult only pool, so I can understand why they would go there instead of the bigger pool that was busier and potentially a further walk from their rooms. Either way, we sat at this pool every day and found plenty of space to spread out.

Property layout. Left side I believe is the vacation club? Right side is bookable rooms? But I couldn't get an answer from the front desk that made sense to me when I asked about it.

The map layout shows how sprawling the property is. I believe there are around 530 total rooms. The first three days it seemed to be low numbers, which was excellent. The room key we received was a stretchy bracelet with a wooden key on it, which for someone who is impressed with little things like that, I thought it was neat. Total curiosity on my part, but there were very few people on property with that bracelet and key. Most others had the plastic bracelets that have the locking buttons on it with a white plastic key. This was just observation, but I'm pretty sure it's internal code for the workers. We asked the front desk agent about it and he told us it was internal based on whether people were staying on the north or the south side, but I'm assuming there was more to it because our keys were different. Unsure if it had to do with status as Globalists, because everyone received the same service. This was just a goofy observation on my part, and maybe others have stayed there and can share insight, because my wife and I started looking at everyone's wrists to see if we could make sense of the multiple different keys/bracelets...and we have no idea.

The only negative I found, and it wasn't really a major...was Spectrum had a gigantic event at the hotel starting Thursday night and running five days. So our first three days were empty, but then Spectrum showed up. That wasn't an issue, but it changed the feel because there was a lot more activity. They had their events with hundreds of people to themselves, so it didn't impact breakfast, the pool, or eating. But, our room was next to the gigantic pavilion they used for their opening meeting, and the music was insanely loud...but fortunately, they respected everyone by stopping promptly at 10pm. So, to be honest, I was impressed that a large group of 600+ (we were told they took about 60% of the hotel), really didn't impact the operations. Nonetheless, I'm only 37 but I'm an old soul, and the loud music made me want to scream to get off my lawn.

All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to head back to the Grand Reserve. I'd read a lot of reviews and was expecting so-so service and just an underwhelming time...but honestly, after spending 2022 at Grand Hyatt Kauai and 2023 at HR Grand Reserve...I'd opt for Grand Reserve 10 out of 10 times. It was much easier to spread out and get away from people that I couldn't find at Kauai. The beach was obviously much larger, even though it had a bit of seaweed. Harder to get to local food options (took about 10 minutes) but felt lest touristy. Probably the biggest win was the fact that it's a lot easier to get to SJU than LIH.

So, my personal opinion is HR Grand Reserve>GH Kauai. It seems in Hyatt world, this is blasphemy, but it ticked all the boxes that I like and love, and for even 20k points a night, I find it a great value.
Thanks for this review, it's a hotel that we definitely have on our list. Not being able to use suite certificates spooked me a little bit before booking, but that room you stayed in looks nice.
Old May 31, 2023, 10:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Have there's been any Globalists recently staying here which were upgraded to one of the Villas? Just curious if there's any shot, I'm heading down at the end of June so kind of not so much a popular time. Thanks.
Old Jun 1, 2023, 7:13 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by ooom416354
Have there's been any Globalists recently staying here which were upgraded to one of the Villas? Just curious if there's any shot, I'm heading down at the end of June so kind of not so much a popular time. Thanks.
I do not think anyone has ever been upgraded to the villa's. Generally you cannot even get them for cash
Old Jun 1, 2023, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by soy
I do not think anyone has ever been upgraded to the villa's. Generally you cannot even get them for cash
I kind of figured although they seem to be readily available for booking now for my dates June 27-July 1st

Anyone have a contact for the property? I might reach out and see if I can pay extra for that room. Thanks.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 1:50 am

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by ooom416354
I kind of figured although they seem to be readily available for booking now for my dates June 27-July 1st
No, your confusion is the same confusion discussed above (see my post explaining what the "villa" is that you're seeing: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34968344-post344.html), and see post 353 as well (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35012473-post353.html).

The buildings that actually look like standalone villas are called "Regency Pool Suites," not villas. The rooms that are sold as "Villas" on hyatt.com are just the condo-style rooms in the annex building that I reviewed.
Old Jun 2, 2023, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
No, your confusion is the same confusion discussed above (see my post explaining what the "villa" is that you're seeing: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34968344-post344.html), and see post 353 as well (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35012473-post353.html).

The buildings that actually look like standalone villas are called "Regency Pool Suites," not villas. The rooms that are sold as "Villas" on hyatt.com are just the condo-style rooms in the annex building that I reviewed.
Ah, got it! Makes sense now. Thanks for the details!
Old Jul 7, 2023, 9:06 am

Do they still have the floating obstacle course. Thinking of heading there next January but didn't see any recent information on this and I know my kids would love it.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 10:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by kes82
Do they still have the floating obstacle course. Thinking of heading there next January but didn't see any recent information on this and I know my kids would love it.
I didn't see it in the water a couple weeks ago, but that was from a distance (I was at the St. Regis pointing the HR out to some others). St.R has a fabulous floating thing in the lagoon.

I'll be at the HR for 5 nights in a few weeks, will report back on the stay then.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 10:54 am

I didn't see it in the water a couple weeks ago, but that was from a distance (I was at the St. Regis pointing the HR out to some others). St.R has a fabulous floating thing in the lagoon.

I'll be at the HR for 5 nights in a few weeks, will report back on the stay then.
Thank you! Can we sneak over to the St. R LOL 😆
Old Jul 7, 2023, 1:09 pm
soy

Programs: various
At one stage there were reports that it was shut down for safety (insurance?) reasons. While shut down was supposed to be temporary I recall thinking the wording they used made it sound more permanent.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 2:05 pm

Thank you! Can we sneak over to the St. R LOL 😆
Haha actually yes! Just make a reservation at Beach Club restaurant on OpenTable and you can get in through the security gate, park at Beach Club, and walk freely around the St. Regis. I once emailed to ask permission but the hotel was totally cool with it (perhaps because I have stayed a dozen times but it didn't sound like a problem). Beach bar in front of the hotel, Seagrapes, etc all take credit cards. Enjoy!
Old Jul 9, 2023, 9:47 pm

Haha actually yes! Just make a reservation at Beach Club restaurant on OpenTable and you can get in through the security gate, park at Beach Club, and walk freely around the St. Regis. I once emailed to ask permission but the hotel was totally cool with it (perhaps because I have stayed a dozen times but it didn't sound like a problem). Beach bar in front of the hotel, Seagrapes, etc all take credit cards. Enjoy!
Awesome! Thanks
Old Jul 11, 2023, 3:47 pm

I was here last week and this place is honestly really a great value. I got a Globalist upgrade to a King Villa and it was terrific. Being from NYC the prices weren't much different and food was very good. I would recommend this resort for a reasonable getaway, just sad it is a Category 5 now and not bookable with the 1-4 certificates.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 5:06 pm

Glob upgrade to King Villa? This is definitely noteworthy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.