Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Grand Reserve Puerto Rico REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Grand Reserve Puerto Rico REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Old Dec 25, 2022, 8:38 pm

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Cara332
I just noticed that villas are available on the Hyatt site now. There are not any details if they are a standard or premium suite, so curious if you could use a suite upgrade. I would love to go during February, but only a day or 2 available on points. More consecutive availability in March.
Thanks for this -- I went ahead and grabbed 3 nights in a villa next month. My corp rate has the "premier" (1050 sq ft) villa at the same rate as the regular (685 sq ft) one, so it seemed like a no-brainer.
Old Dec 30, 2022, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
BTW, since you need a car to visit, i would recommend staying a night or two in San Juan before and after staying here as car rental taxes are like 4x at the airport, so it's much cheaper to rent a car in town.
Things may have improved in the last year, but I didn't find a single car available in San Juan other than at the airport. I ubered from SJU to Old San Juan for a few days, then got a taxi back to the airport to pick up a rental car to get to HGRPR for a few more days. So while renting in town may be cheaper, it may not be available.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by solarbear
Things may have improved in the last year, but I didn't find a single car available in San Juan other than at the airport. I ubered from SJU to Old San Juan for a few days, then got a taxi back to the airport to pick up a rental car to get to HGRPR for a few more days. So while renting in town may be cheaper, it may not be available.
I'm curious if it's possible to get a taxi (as it seems there's no Uber) from the hotel to go into town on some nights instead of renting a car. Is this feasible?

Last edited by surikatina; Dec 31, 2022 at 4:46 pm Reason: sp
Old Dec 31, 2022, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was using corporate rates at Avis, so I don't know if that made any difference, but I had no difficulty booking a car in the city of San Juan. What they oddly did tell me was "sold out" was renting in the city and returning it to the airport. Obviously a bit more annoying, as what I typically do is rent in a city and return at the airport to save the crazy airport taxes but still get reasonable convenience.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 7:38 pm

On our visit, the rental in San Juan was MUCH cheaper than the airport. We got Enterprise in Condado for around $26/night which seemed fantastic. They were actually quite nice and decently efficient too. A lot of folks warn against renting from many of the lesser known brands. Even the reputable ones are hit and miss according to them. This was for last January.

Originally Posted by surikatina
I'm curious if it's possible to get a taxi (as it seems there's no Uber) from the hotel to go into town on some nights instead of renting a car. Is this feasible?
We didn't experience this firsthand, but in my research it seemed that arranging this is not an issue. Either the hotel can help with this, or you can look up some companies in travel forums. Uber is readily available and relatively cheap within San Juan, and likely not a problem to go from San Juan to the hotel during the day. Late at night however, I'm not so sure an uber driver would want to go so far from the city.
Old Dec 31, 2022, 11:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
A few weeks ago there were barely any award nights available in January and February--now there is plenty of availability. They have to be playing games with availability unless all guests have canceled their reservations at the same time....
Old Jan 1, 2023, 6:29 am

We didn't experience this firsthand, but in my research it seemed that arranging this is not an issue. Either the hotel can help with this, or you can look up some companies in travel forums. Uber is readily available and relatively cheap within San Juan, and likely not a problem to go from San Juan to the hotel during the day. Late at night however, I'm not so sure an uber driver would want to go so far from the city.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your input!
Old Jan 2, 2023, 8:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Have a stay booked in late June here, just confirming as of now it's pretty safe to use my Cat 1-4 certs here over points as there are no suites to use an SNA here, right?
Old Jan 3, 2023, 6:17 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
Talked to my concierge over the weekend, and they'll open suite upgrades inventory in mid-late February. Suites are currently being renovated.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by greenwichgolf
Talked to my concierge over the weekend, and they'll open suite upgrades inventory in mid-late February. Suites are currently being renovated.
OK thanks, that changes a few things for me then. Will keep my stay on points then.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 8:53 am

Stayed here over the MLK weekend. Originally booked 3 nights for about 30k points and a free night certificate but had to upgrade to the Club rooms in order to have 4 people in the room so 66k points total.

I did not realize that they were hosting the Latin American Amateur Championship the same weekend. This actually worked out in our favor as the resort seemed empty and they closed the Regency Club so we were given comped breakfast and then $25 a day to use at the resort.

Positives
The resort was nice and seemed well kept. The beach was about a 50 foot walk from our door and although it was a bit rocky it was still very nice. They had complimentary paddle board and kayak rentals which we made use of. Drinks were also very good and not terribly expensive, about $14 for a mojito after all the added gratuities and fees. Daily housekeeping was also a plus even though they would only give us 3 towels for a room with 4 people. Pretty good location and we were able to get everywhere we needed in under 20-30 minutes. They also honored my discoverist status and gave us 2pm checkout.

Negatives
The biggest negative for me was the food. Luckily our breakfast was comped but for 4 people the check was about $144 and the food was just not great. All the food at the hot stations were cold and the waffles and pancakes they had seemed dry and cold as well. I don't know if I would pay more than $10 for this buffet. We also tried the Sand Trap restaurant one night and everything was bad, the guacamole was not fresh and when you would go to put your chip in it you could feel the ice chips from it being either frozen or refrigerated. We got a buffalo chicken flat bread and nothing seemed fresh or home made.

Being nit-picky now. The pool was not heated and it felt cold most days and there was also no hot tub on property. Our reservation had 4 people on it but we were only ever given 4 towels by housekeeping. They have the motion activated lights at the bottom of the bed however one of them never turned off so we had to unplug it all together. They also forgot to remove the breakfast and resort fees at checkout but a super helpful person at the counter got those removed for me.

Overall
Overall we were all happy with our stay and if we were ever to come back to Puerto Rico wouldn't mind staying here again. Pretty good value all in all, 66k points for about $3600 for what we would have paid in cash for everything.
Illinwu likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by goatvillanueva
Stayed here over the MLK weekend. Originally booked 3 nights for about 30k points and a free night certificate but had to upgrade to the Club rooms in order to have 4 people in the room so 66k points total.

I did not realize that they were hosting the Latin American Amateur Championship the same weekend. This actually worked out in our favor as the resort seemed empty and they closed the Regency Club so we were given comped breakfast and then $25 a day to use at the resort.

Positives
The resort was nice and seemed well kept. The beach was about a 50 foot walk from our door and although it was a bit rocky it was still very nice. They had complimentary paddle board and kayak rentals which we made use of. Drinks were also very good and not terribly expensive, about $14 for a mojito after all the added gratuities and fees. Daily housekeeping was also a plus even though they would only give us 3 towels for a room with 4 people. Pretty good location and we were able to get everywhere we needed in under 20-30 minutes. They also honored my discoverist status and gave us 2pm checkout.

Negatives
The biggest negative for me was the food. Luckily our breakfast was comped but for 4 people the check was about $144 and the food was just not great. All the food at the hot stations were cold and the waffles and pancakes they had seemed dry and cold as well. I don't know if I would pay more than $10 for this buffet. We also tried the Sand Trap restaurant one night and everything was bad, the guacamole was not fresh and when you would go to put your chip in it you could feel the ice chips from it being either frozen or refrigerated. We got a buffalo chicken flat bread and nothing seemed fresh or home made.

Being nit-picky now. The pool was not heated and it felt cold most days and there was also no hot tub on property. Our reservation had 4 people on it but we were only ever given 4 towels by housekeeping. They have the motion activated lights at the bottom of the bed however one of them never turned off so we had to unplug it all together. They also forgot to remove the breakfast and resort fees at checkout but a super helpful person at the counter got those removed for me.

Overall
Overall we were all happy with our stay and if we were ever to come back to Puerto Rico wouldn't mind staying here again. Pretty good value all in all, 66k points for about $3600 for what we would have paid in cash for everything.
Hi, is the regency club open now here? Can't find any club rooms to book here as of now.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 10:56 am

Programs: MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I was told when I just stayed there last week that the club closed permanently Jan 2. However, as the previous poster highlighted it might have just been closed because the golf championships.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 4:35 pm

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Big news: The Villas are not, in fact, the standalone villas on the north end of the property.

I am currently here on property. Just spent two nights at the St. Regis and came here for 3 nights because the top category "Villa" (One King Bed Villa Premier) was available at the same rate as a basic room on my corp rate ($364 + taxes/fees per night, about $469/night total, so not cheap, but worth checking out for the advertised 1,050 square feet... and much less than the $1000+ per night that these rooms appear to be listed for later normally).

I had an inkling of this based on the room description, but the Villas now available for booking online are not, in fact, the standalone (well, duplex, really) units on the north end of the property with the private pools. Those remain a mystery, I guess only the owners, their friends, and chosen influencers get to stay in those. These Villas are instead simply larger units in condo-style buildings just south of the main lobby area, with a separate parking lot. They apparently just opened in the last two months, and I wouldn't be surprised if we were among the first few guests in our current unit. Everything looks new.

The Regency Club was confirmed to be closed, apparently permanently. When I asked about a replacement credit, the agent went to ask someone and came back with an offer of $25/day in F&B credit for any outlet. I also had to ask at check-in about a welcome drink and was given two vouchers. (The agent seemed new and was friendly, I don't think she was trying to dodge that.) The agent also said parking was free as a globalist, but I won't be surprised if that turns out to be false given that I'm not on an award rate.

The Villa buildings (called "residences" on the on-property signage) do not look like anything special from the outside. And, as with the other buildings, the rooms have outdoor corridors (though, to be fair, so does the St. Regis if you think about it--and although both this property and the St. Regis have security gates on the roads, theoretically anyone could, given some effort, wander in off the public beach). At first, I was bummed that we were not in fact staying in the standalone villas... but that all changed when we got to the room and realized (1) the room is huge and nice and new, (2) there is a separate pool and poolside bar on this side, and (3) we actually didn't want to be over by the activity of the main pool, the main units, and the smells and sounds we experienced there last time. This is way better. Happy to answer questions later on, here are some pics for now:

living room

kitchenette area

kitchenette (mugs and glasses were provided along with coffee and glass (!) bottles of still and sparkling Voss water, but no other plates/utensils/cookware -- there is no stove)

shower and one toilet

part of the bathroom

shower

other part of the bathroom, with giant bathtub, second toilet, and second sink

large separate bedroom

large outdoor patio with partial ocean and pool view (advertised as "garden view" but it is better than that)

view from patio

pool area

outdoor corridors (not our room #)

these "Villas" are the buildings around #25, which is the separate pool
Old Jan 29, 2023, 4:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
What is the breakfast offering for Globalists if the club is closed?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.