Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Grand Reserve Puerto Rico REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Grand Reserve Puerto Rico REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Old Jan 11, 2022, 8:49 pm

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by iahphx
Just cancelled my return trip to this hotel for next week. Kind of sad, because I was looking forward to the better-than-Florida January weather. I was willing to take my chances on the local Covid restrictions/limitations -- including whatever the resort wanted to do -- but the new 2-day testing rule was the last straw. I'll wait for PR to decide they want to be normal again.
But you can do an antigen test...

We're heading to PR week after next, been keeping an eye on the regs, but so far it just seems like (1) vax, (2) masks (which just got mandated even out here in small-town Maine, so same difference...), and (3) no booze sales or business activity midnight to 5am. Less restrictive than last year for sure, and the 2 or 3 trips to PR we took during covid so far have all been well worth it.
svo242 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2022, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
But you can do an antigen test...

We're heading to PR week after next, been keeping an eye on the regs, but so far it just seems like (1) vax, (2) masks (which just got mandated even out here in small-town Maine, so same difference...), and (3) no booze sales or business activity midnight to 5am. Less restrictive than last year for sure, and the 2 or 3 trips to PR we took during covid so far have all been well worth it.
Also at the moment, restaurants operating at 50% capacity. The governor is set to make a new announcement tomorrow with additional restrictions. Hopefully it doesn't get much worse...
Old Jan 13, 2022, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by projectmaximus
The website actually mentions a "quiet club pool" so it sounds like it's become a secondary but not exclusively club, pool. It also mentions a kiddie pool, in addition to the main pool. So three pools total?

We are here at the moment and I'm thinking prices are dropping due to the lower demand. Not sure but our rental car price dropped significantly. The HR rates appear unchanged however.

How is the situation at the hotel? I would think it wouldn't be that bad. I always think of Puerto Rico as an OK destination, but not one I'm willing to jump through a lot of hoops to go to. I've stayed at this property before and it's fine -- but that's about it. If the government doesn't really want me to come, I'm OK with going elsewhere.

BTW, the Omicron wave started in Puerto Rico and Florida at exactly the same time. I guarantee you it will also end at exactly the same time, even though one place acts all crazy and imposes restrictions and the other does nothing. People refuse to learn.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
How is the situation at the hotel? I would think it wouldn't be that bad. I always think of Puerto Rico as an OK destination, but not one I'm willing to jump through a lot of hoops to go to. I've stayed at this property before and it's fine -- but that's about it. If the government doesn't really want me to come, I'm OK with going elsewhere.

BTW, the Omicron wave started in Puerto Rico and Florida at exactly the same time. I guarantee you it will also end at exactly the same time, even though one place acts all crazy and imposes restrictions and the other does nothing. People refuse to learn.
I should have specified that I am here in Puerto Rico but not the Hyatt. Will report back after our stay there later this week.

As far as the restrictions, it is fair to point out that PR's medical infrastructure is far more fragile than FL's.
EuropeanPete and svo242 like this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I should have specified that I am here in Puerto Rico but not the Hyatt. Will report back after our stay there later this week.

As far as the restrictions, it is fair to point out that PR's medical infrastructure is far more fragile than FL's.
My wife actually had the misfortune of having her back "go out" the last time we stayed at this hotel. We can attest from personal experience that Puerto Rican medical care is quite poor. Like hospitals without drugs. Anyone "vulnerable" to anything should probably never come to the island -- or certainly line up good physicains ahead of time.
Old Jan 15, 2022, 7:44 am

Any ideas on how to snag a Regency Suite- which is actually one of the villas?

I dont see any availability, but do know they arent being renovated (only the true suites are being renovated, I believe).

Cheers
Old Jan 17, 2022, 11:13 am

The website actually mentions a "quiet club pool" so it sounds like it's become a secondary but not exclusively club, pool. It also mentions a kiddie pool, in addition to the main pool. So three pools total?
The kiddie pool is a roughly 15 foot diameter 1 foot deep circle right next to the main pool (at the southwest corner). I wouldn't really call that its own pool, even though it may technically be separated. There is the main pool, a quiet (nominally adults only) pool at the north end, and a small pool reserved for spa customers.
projectmaximus likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 1:38 pm

Looks like (you can check recent instagram postings) even though people are staying in the Regency Suite, the hotel is still saying there are not suites available and all of them are under construction.

Really odd position here.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 4:27 pm

Location: Live: PWM/KBXM/BGR; Work: DCA/DFW/Everywhere; Play: LAS/MUC/MLE
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, mlife Noir, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by RioAg
Any ideas on how to snag a Regency Suite- which is actually one of the villas?

I dont see any availability, but do know they arent being renovated (only the true suites are being renovated, I believe).

Cheers
Looks like (you can check recent instagram postings) even though people are staying in the Regency Suite, the hotel is still saying there are not suites available and all of them are under construction.

I think we pretty much established earlier in the thread that the villas are only being used for friends of the owners/managers or for influencers, and that the construction is likely a ruse. Par for the course in PR if so. At one point early last year, though, the villas were available for sale on hyatt.com for 10-11 months out. So, who knows.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 8:30 pm

I believe the Miss World Competition was held here last month and I could imagine they allowed the participants into the suites. Same with the Filming of Fantasy Island Season #1 that was discussed last year. (Incidentally the production crew for Season #2 had set up shop in the condo bldg I stayed at last week so I guess the show is back filming in Puerto Rico)
Old Jan 19, 2022, 2:27 am

Originally Posted by MechMachine
I have a 7 night stay here in July as of now but may prune it to less; will definitely report back! Even though this property seems to be having some growing pains it seems worth a shot for potentially getting good value. Just a word of note to anyone looking at this property; Hyatt is changing this from a Cat 3 -> Cat 4 effective the 25th of March 2021. Additionally the current promo for the "Bonus night" for this property (Stay 2 nights get 3rd free, 3 nights, 4th free and also from what I saw 5 nights 6th free with the 3rd night free too) is ending on April 1st. Since this is a new property 500 bonus points per stay also ends on April 1st but it may be extended from other properties I had seen. So if you are interested in booking at current rates please heed this nycflyer17 ; I am glad I saw a few news articles and did it beforehand.

As of this writing property is open for bookings until ~April 2022. It looks like Regency Suite awards are available for redemption starting in the 2nd week of February 2022. So in theory you could lock these in at Cat 3 for the next few days; or book a Standard and hopefully have some assurance you could get upgraded as the category is bookable. I will be curious to see if the property opens up these earlier; will definitely be asking about suites when I get to the property as the description of these seem to include either a Jacuzzi or Plunge pool in each suite; even Junior. Hyatt hasn't specified categories yet - just "This is a Suite" in room listings; usually its Standard/Premium.

In looking at the reviews for this property it seemed to spike in positive reviews when it hosted the US Open and then after many more reviews online have mentioned issues with service times and restaurant openings. Hopefully things improve by July. I wonder if Hyatt flew staff in for the event? The good news is it seems this property now has a General Manager (few people above were mentioning staff refusing manager/claiming manager not on site azepine00 ). I don't know if I can post info here but if you look in recent reviews online a manager has been providing feedback with his name and phone number/email on few review sites; so fetch it from there.
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
The categories are, at least as of now, specified -- when you look at points bookings you'll see the double/double & the King ADA suites as "standard" suites for 20k/night and the 1B Deluxe as "premium" suites for 24k/night.

I seriously doubt, however, that the hotel has fully processed/updated the website... the pictures for the suites look just like regular rooms, whereas my strong hunch is that the 1075sqft suites are in fact the villa-like units that are signed on-property as "Regency Suites" (visible with their private pools on the map on the bottom of my post above). 20k or even 24k/night for those (or even better, 12k/night + a TSU for a 4 or 5 night stay) would be a great deal indeed...
Just bumping this for visibility due to recent suite questions. In March of 2021 several weeks in early February 2022 were bookable with points for the suites/villas. In hindsight I could have booked it back then instead of going in July but I didnt want to wait.

You could have paid 20K a night for a standard suite or 24K for premium suites at Category 3 prices before the properties category change and award chart changes. Even better; you could have booked standard at 12K and used a TSU. Based on my prior message both the description for the standard and premium suites at that time contained descriptions of plunge pool or jacuzzis. I am inferring the property defines the premium suite as the villa on the very end that is the largest that has hosted receptions in the past and the standard as the other 3 villas. This based on the description at that time of both categories having some sort of plunge pool or jacuzzi.

With that in mind with the category changes the property is now standard room 12/15/18; standard suite 21/24/27 and premium suite 24/30/36. In theory if you got extremely lucky you could book an off peak standard and apply a TSU if standard suite was available and get 2021 prices before the category change in the future. But this seems unlikely. They seem to purposefully be holding back inventory on the suites. Perhaps they find it more valuable to sell with packages like weddings or events or conferences rather than giving away a valuable asset for nearly nothing via point redemptions.
projectmaximus likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 1:23 pm

Completed an enjoyable stay at the HR Grand Reserve PR over the long weekend. 3 nights on 3 FNCs. 2 adults + 2 young kids. Booked a double room garden view from Fri-Mon.

Check-In
In-app was upgraded two levels to their highest level rooms (since suites are clearly not bookable anytime) to the oceanfront double room. However app-check in did not work and required check in at the front desk. We were the only guests checking in when we arrived at 4:30p and it was very quick and smooth.

Hard Product
There are 20 two-floor buildings for guests, with 4 of those buildings along the waterfront. The waterfront buildings offer 12 units per floor, so assuming they are all laid out in similar fashion, this means that there are a total of 24 "oceanfront" rooms, 24 "Oceanview" rooms (second floor facing water), and 432 "garden view" rooms.

Oceanfront basically means you can walk out your patio straight out onto the beach. But it isn't that close. Doesn't make it inconvenient, and doesn't really affect the quality of the view too much, but what it does is potentially place many more strangers between you and the water. It was pretty routine for folks to be lounging in chairs directly in front of our patio. Didn't bother me much, but my wife didn't like it and I guess it does detract from the feeling of isolation and tranquility.

I am far from a seasoned resort-goer (or high-end hotel guest). I can count on two hands the number of resorts and/or the number of 5-star hotels I've stayed at. From that perspective, this hotel seems like an excellent property. Overall I felt it is maintained very well, there are few signs of aging (yes it is recently remodeled so it should look nice), I live in a nice area of Miami and yet I thought the combination of weather and natural aesthetics here in Puerto Rico and particularly at the resort would attract me to come visit more. The common areas are very elegant and the rooms are nicely appointed for my taste. Pool is very grand...actually annoyingly so lol. When you have little kids and are trying to gather lots of belongings and move around...I almost wish there were bridges or walking paths to cross the pool rather than walk all the way around. The views all around are quite impressive...especially from the vantage points where you can see the ocean from the pool.

I now regret not walking around to explore more of the property...being in the first building from the facilities I never walked beyond our building. I understand there is another pool on the east side, as well as the notorious villas. Fitness Center was adequate but to my dismay the cardio machines aren't connected to the telecom so the TVs on them don't work. Didn't utilize the spa area but as noted there's a small, secluded pool here as well. Got a peek at the conference area, this does seem like a nice property for a conference or a wedding. Lots of other ballrooms and outdoor dining/reception spaces as well.

Regency Club Lounge
Lounge was ok. Still in its soft opening so only available 1-7p, with some hors d'oeuvres served from 4-6p. They promptly pack up at 6 as I saw a few sad folks miss out walking in just past 6 on a few occasions. At other times they still have a few soft drinks, coffee, tea and water, and some nuts/chips/bars, as well as beer and wine for a fee. Ate at 787 Prime once, made the reservation online pretty easily. Was a bit surprised by the prices but again maybe my perspective is skewed (ordered a $95 ribeye). Probably could have found the menu online first. No worries though, our restaurant bill came to just under $200 and it makes me feel better to have something on the hotel bill after a luxurious award stay lol.

Globalist Breakfast + Parking
Speaking of...since lounge isn't serving breakfast yet, the breakfast is available at the Water's Edge restaurant. We had the buffet every morning, I never inquired if there was an alternative option. Buffet is supposed to be half price for my older kid and free for my younger kid. We were only charged for two adults (no kids) on two mornings, and on another morning we were charged for 2 adults and 2 kids. I never said anything since I figured it wouldn't really matter to me.

I think self-parking was $17 per night while valet was $24ish?? Globalist free parking is only available for self-park and not valet. However the self-park lot is actually closer and more convenient to all the rooms than the valet/lobby location.

Checkout
I forgot to request a late checkout at the time of checkin, so I was somewhat at the mercy of the front desk and "availability." The online checkin offered me up to 4pm checkout but as I mentioned, online checkin failed. I asked the night before checkout and was told to check back the next morning. I didn't mention my globalist status, and since this is a resort I don't think it is required anyway. The following morning I requested and was granted a 2:30p checkout. All breakfast and parking charges had been wiped off the bill proactively.

Service
We are fairly low-maintenance and didn't really have a lot of needs or all that much interaction with staff. All front desk interactions were very friendly and helpful, bellboys were solid, service at 787 Prime was extremely good, service at Water's Edge breakfast varied from good to excellent depending on the day. Service in the lounge was good. The one and only time we almost ordered a drink from the swim up bar, there was no one to take our order and by the time someone showed up several minutes later we'd decided not to get any drinks. But on the whole the service was above average from my experiences.

Value
This has been part of a long visit to Puerto Rico, and perhaps our feeling is influenced by the overall great time we're having, but I 100% expect to be back in the future assuming this remains a cat 4 (it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't). My son told all the workers at checkout that we would see them next year. It is definitely worth a Cat 4 cert or 15k points.

Miscellaneous
-Will be so much better for us if/when they open the Camp Hyatt Kids Club. They have the location and the signage, so it seems like the intention eventually is to make this available.
-My wife (who is very susceptible to bug bites) had some of the worst bites she's had here at the beach and pool. For her, this was a major negative of the experience. Hotel does provide bug spray in the room and we had our own as well, but still not enough. We all suffered quite a few bites actually.
-It's been mentioned many times but I'll reiterate, this resort is very isolated so you need to have a car (or hire a service) to go anywhere off property. It was a 10-minute drive to get to the main road where the nearest business of any kind is located.
-Wifi was decently fast and seemed to cover most of the property, at least wherever I went.

Last edited by projectmaximus; Jan 19, 2022 at 1:31 pm
Old Mar 17, 2022, 5:15 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, United Silver
Anyone have any experience staying here over Easter? We're going over Easter/Spring break with two younger kids and was wondering if they do an egg hunt etc.

Still a no go on the suites?

Thanks!
Old Mar 30, 2022, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA-Gold, HH-Diamond
Completed a 4-night stay here this past week with Mrs. Goat and BabyGoat (who is now 17) using a combo of (1) FNC and points. Following are our comments and perceptions.

The Good:
  • The property is beautiful and well maintained.
  • The big pool is sufficiently large and never seemed crowded. Ample lounge chairs were available. There is also a second, medium-sized pool that is quieter.
  • Our room was spacious and had very high ceilings. Most of the buildings with guest rooms are 2 stories and we were on the second floor. No buildings have elevators.
  • Regarding food at the restaurants, the quality was good and "The Market" being open 24/7 was excellent. The Lattes from the market were some of the best I've had anywhere.
  • Resort Fees were waived due to staying on points. Otherwise, they would have been 18% of the room rate.
  • All staff wore masks 100% of the time, even though very few guests did. This greatly increased our comfort level at the property.
  • An interesting array of cats and Iguanas on the property. One Iguana kept us company poolside and even climbed onto a pool chair next to us.
@ ErieMiles: The Kids Club by the pool seemed to be operational - they had activities listed and were installing Easter decorations throughout the pool area while we were there. The Suites were occupied but we have no info on who or how they were acquired.

The Bad:
  • Housekeeping was unpredictable and stingy with the towels. With 3 people in a room they should leave more than 2 sets of towels.
  • Housekeeping was also supposed to do a "full cleaning" on our 3rd day (including sheet changes) according to the info we got at check-in. Instead, we had to speak to a Housekeeping Supervisor to get our room clean after we got back from an off-property excursion on our 3rd day. A maid cleaned our room later in the afternoon but when we returned we discovered that it wasn't the full cleaning that we were promised and expecting. It was just the usual "light cleaning" that they do on a daily basis. Since it was late and we were checking out the next morning we did not pursue the issue.
  • Our reservation confirmation had an interesting contradiction on it. It listed "Room Type: 2 QUEEN BEDS." Immediately below this it listed "Room Description: 2 Doubles:Seating Area:Private Balcony: Garden View 520 sqft." Needless to say, the room had 2 Doubles, not 2 Queens.
  • The "Grand Reserve" is far more than the property of the hotel - there are affiliated golf courses, villas, timeshares and other accommodations on the land. It is several miles to get to the outermost gate and a few miles more to get to any retail shops.
  • Hotel interior and rooms have marble floors which become very slippery when wet. In our room the floors were a bit gritty.
  • Getting a room near the pool/lobby is wise, unless you like a lot of walking. This is a very large, sprawling property.
  • A 16% Service Charge is baked in to all food, including takeout. The checks still have a line for you to add a tip and it is easy to overlook this when you are asked to sign.
The Ugly:
  • Food wait times were hit-and-miss. Poolside we raised the flag on our umbrella but 30 minutes went by and nobody came for our order. We finally went to the food truck at the pool and a pool server took our order. Another 40 minutes went by and finally a waiter brought us our check, BUT NO FOOD!. Another 30 minutes went by before we were served what we ordered. Unfortunately, our French Fries came without ketchup but we feared that asking for some would have taken a veritable lifetime to appear.
  • The Sand Trap was great when we were seated there, but it had a 90 minute wait one afternoon. we enquired about getting a takeout order but this also had a 90 minute wait because they process takeout orders in the same order as the seated customers.
  • Not enough seating in the bar area in the evenings. Entertainment/DJ plays great music but not everyone can get a seat. Seems like a lot of seating was removed for COVID but not put back.
  • Restaurants are not running at 100%. Some are relocated into different rooms and some are not open at all. Hard to get up-to-date info on what is available.
  • Insufficient posting of activities. For example, there was early morning Yoga on Friday but not on Saturday. Front Desk was not helpful with this.
  • There is no Business Center at this property. We had the Front Desk print out our boarding passes but their process gave us low-resolution barcodes that couldn't be read at the airport.
  • I had 2 Lounge Upgrade certs that expired on February 28, 2022. I could not get even 1 of these extended for this stay which concluded before March 31, 2022.
  • The club had operating hours listed but elsewhere we saw indications that it was closed.
  • As an elite member of World of Hyatt, I was not impressed with how they they treated us. This property seemed to be focused on delivering the bare minimum and not doing anything to exceed our expectations.
  • A car is a MUST unless you are willing to be beholden to the property's hit-and-miss food offerings. I also recommend renting a car because Puerto Rico has plenty to offer in the way of great food that is just outside of the hotel.
Overall our stay was a good one and we would consider going back, especially if the hotel was back to normal operations. Having realistic expectations goes a long way towards being satisfied and I hope the comments above are useful to my fellow Flyertalkers.
Feel free to come back with any questions or clarifications.

SilverGoat
Old Mar 30, 2022, 10:15 pm
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by SilverGoat
Completed a 4-night stay here this past week with Mrs. Goat and BabyGoat (who is now 17) using a combo of (1) FNC and points.
SilverGoat
Indeed, a car is essential at this property. It frees you from resort dining and allows you explore the vicinity. Service still seems to be hit and miss, surprised they have not sorted this out by now, it must be costing them lost revenue

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.