Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Grand Reserve Puerto Rico REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Grand Reserve Puerto Rico REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Old Nov 23, 2021, 6:35 am
  #271  
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Programs: WOH - Globalist, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Posts: 242
Having been here a couple days, I will have to say that it really looks like the new management have turned things around since our last stay. Starting with an upgrade to a deluxe beachfront room, friendlier staff (many are new and have no knowledge of prior problems, and seem much better trained), new casual and reasonably priced food options, it's finally living up to its potential.

A few improvements:
- Beachfront has been cleared of large rocks just to the right of main pool. Still not really swimmable due to shallow water and abundance of seagrass.
- New sports bar, Sand Trap, is open every day for a casual dinner and drinks. Reasonable prices and creative whiskey cocktails.
- Breakfast and dinner at Water's Edge is not limited to just a buffet, although the dinner menu is very limited.
- Outdoor pavillion and event space look to be in regular use now, and don't look abandoned.

Negatives:
- Food truck appears to be gone
- No service of any kind (not even towels) at the club pool. Perhaps that will restart when the club fully reopens.

On a side note, apparently over a hundred Miss World contestants are staying here this week. The competition itself is off-site.
sch_flyer is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2021, 5:54 pm
  #272  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: New York City, United States.
Posts: 2,623
Originally Posted by projectmaximus
Anyone waiting on word about the kids club (as I had been after a previous guest mentioned it opening for limited hours on the weekend) will be saddened to know that I reached out to the hotel directly and they said they do not have a kids club. When I mentioned the previous guests' comment they replied that there is a general activity that occurs poolside that has been getting referred to as "kids club" but it is simply part of the general hotel activities and parents of young children still need to be present. There's no actual physical kids club nor is there any way to leave young kids unattended.)

On the bright side, the hotel replies to emails very promptly.
Do all of the restaurants offer "kids Menus"?
What type of offerings?
This is suppose to be so "family friendly" But I know that steakhouses and Sushi restaurants typically don't.have Kid's menus

I'm less concerned with food prices that I am with
Food quality and ease of reservations.
How is the breakfast quality in lounge? Enough outdoor seating for the Covid skittish?
writetorich is offline  
Old Nov 26, 2021, 7:44 pm
  #273  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 40
Im finishing up a stay. Overall a very good experience and definitely a steal if your using points. Lounge is not open for breakfast yet so it is still in the restaurant for globalist. The buffet includes a kids station with colored pancakes and whipped cream and sprinkles.
The pool bar has a $8 hot dog and fry meal that my kids enjoyed. We also are a couple of dinners at the Sand Trap sports bar where they enjoyed the wings. Had reservations for the Asian restaurant and they changed their mind. There is a pizza place with $15-17 pizzas but we never ate there either. There is an automatic 15 percent service charge on everything plus tax so actual price is about 25 higher than list.

Lounge at night has had a couple of small appetizers, cookies and chips. Good for a snack but not enough for dinner. It has an outside seating area but was closed on the day it rained. I dont believe any of the other main restaurants have outside seating although there is a grab and go market. There is lots of outside area in which to eat. It is just a matter of getting the food to the outside tables.
Jjfab is offline  
Old Nov 29, 2021, 10:06 am
  #274  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 38
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Due to COVID-19, lots of good restaurants were offering grab and go dinners, including a bottle of wine (depending on local regulations). For instance, I have fond memories of a grab and go steak dinner at aHR where they kindly offered to put real plates and silverware, including a steak knife, in the bag. At another HR, grab and go dinner was grilled salmon, again with real plates and silverware and of course wine. IME most hotel restaurants are willing to prepare any item on their menu as grab and go. In fact, I know a HR that preCOVID-19 had a full room service menu that could be picked up at the Market (grab and go) if one wished before midnight or otherwise delivered to the room 24/7, presumably using mostly disposable stuff. It was a cost-effective way (for both the hotel and the guest) to have 24/7 room service.
Ah so we may have just been mixed up on terminology? I call that take out or take away. Most of the restaurants on premises allowed take out from what I recall.
Antshill is offline  
Old Nov 29, 2021, 3:41 pm
  #275  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: New York City, United States.
Posts: 2,623
Originally Posted by Braswch
As you see too if you get oceanfront, 1st floor then you can go in and out your sliding door straight to your patio and then onto the beach and ocean.
If you get the second floor then you have a balcony, but you have to go out your front door down the stairs and around.
I much prefer the 1st floor personally.
Seems generally they put Globs in oceanfront if available.

Are the suites available yet?
I heard that ground floor has Concrete walls " for privacy ' and second floor has glass enclosure

My understanding is that you can not access pool /beach directly from your patio.

But your photo seems to belie that Is this arrangement only on certain rooms?
do most of the ground floor patios have concrete barriers that require you to exit and enter via your room's front door?
Thanks to All who have stayed for taking the time to reply
writetorich is offline  
Old Nov 29, 2021, 3:57 pm
  #276  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 38
Originally Posted by writetorich
I heard that ground floor has Concrete walls " for privacy ' and second floor has glass enclosure

My understanding is that you can not access pool /beach directly from your patio.

But your photo seems to belie that Is this arrangement only on certain rooms?
do most of the ground floor patios have concrete barriers that require you to exit and enter via your room's front door?
Thanks to All who have stayed for taking the time to reply
Beach front rooms are nowhere near the pools. There is one of the beach front buildings thats next to the smaller pool (I never went to that pool so not sure what that one looks like).

The ground floor patios for the beachfront rooms do not have a barrier and you can walk through the sliding door if you leave it unlocked. The other buildings away from the beachfront are concrete patio/balcony enclosed so you can only access via front door... unless of course you hope the little concrete wall...

Heres a video from my garden view room + the beachfront area buildings https://share.icloud.com/photos/0o35...UYzc8UzSgV553A
writetorich likes this.
Antshill is offline  
Old Nov 30, 2021, 5:27 pm
  #277  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: New York City, United States.
Posts: 2,623
KIDS AND reef is covered in sea urchins

Originally Posted by hp12c
I.......... One of the employees warned that the reef is covered in sea urchins, so careful swimming out to there without decent water shoes. ..........
Uh if traveling with little ones who like to flop on their bellies in shallow water, will water shows suffice?
Does Anyone suggest/ feel more protective gear is prudent for kids,
For myself, water shoes are fine. I asking about kids




hpc thanks the awesome review,
The redaction is mine , not the O.P.
writetorich is offline  
Old Nov 30, 2021, 5:34 pm
  #278  
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Philadelphia
Programs: SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Loews Platinum
Posts: 629
Sea Urchins

Exactly where are they? And where is the "reef"?
Braswch is offline  
Old Nov 30, 2021, 8:41 pm
  #279  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 40
The reef is a long way out. Easily over 500 feet from shore and probably closer to 1500. I never saw anyone go out to it. The first 50-75 feet from shore is Sandy bottom with some occasional small rocks. And then the bottom is grass covered. If you can step around the small rocks getting in and out, you and kids will be fine without any shoes.
Jjfab is offline  
Old Dec 6, 2021, 2:37 pm
  #280  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: New York City, United States.
Posts: 2,623
CDC no longer rates Puerto Rico on its1 to 4 level

This is pretty interesting to me.
Before it \was a 4 , then revised to a 3.
Also the US Virgin Islands have stopped being assessed as well
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...l-notices.html
writetorich is offline  
Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:21 pm
  #281  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Taipei
Posts: 1,111
Originally Posted by writetorich
This is pretty interesting to me.
Before it \was a 4 , then revised to a 3.
Also the US Virgin Islands have stopped being assessed as well
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...l-notices.html
I believe Puerto Rico's vax rates are higher than any single state. So now that they have the vaccine, as well as pretty wide use of vax passports and mask mandates, this makes sense. The situation was far worse before the vaccine.
projectmaximus is offline  
Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:35 pm
  #282  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: New York City, United States.
Posts: 2,623
Originally Posted by projectmaximus
I believe Puerto Rico's vax rates are higher than any single state. So now that they have the vaccine, as well as pretty wide use of vax passports and mask mandates, this makes sense. The situation was far worse before the vaccine.
The criterion is based on several variables,
Even with an improvement P.R. would go down to a 2 or ( to be extreme) a 1
My point is that P.R as well as U.S. Virgin islands are NOT rated. assessed. any longer, Just like New York, California are not given a 1 to 4 risk assessment.

For the longest time P.R. was at level 4

4- Avoid travel to these destinations. If you must travel to these destinations, make sure you are fully vaccinated before travel.

3- Make sure you are fully vaccinated before traveling to these destinations. Unvaccinated travelers should avoid nonessential travel to these destinations.

2- Make sure you are fully vaccinated before traveling to these destinations. Unvaccinated travelers who are at increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19 should avoid nonessential travel to the these destinations.

1-Make sure you are fully vaccinated before travel to these destinations.


I felt is was discriminatory to assess Puerto Rico and U.S Virgin Islands. This list is for International travel only.

Most countries are level 4. The "country" of Puerto Rico was level 4 for the longest time. This has a very bad effect on tourism. The distinction between level 4 and level 3 is huge.. Obviously I am calling Puerto Rico country to point out how us territories were improperly assessed / rated on this list
writetorich is offline  
Old Dec 7, 2021, 12:23 pm
  #283  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SJU
Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
Posts: 1,520
Originally Posted by writetorich
The criterion is based on several variables,
Even with an improvement P.R. would go down to a 2 or ( to be extreme) a 1
My point is that P.R as well as U.S. Virgin islands are NOT rated. assessed. any longer, Just like New York, California are not given a 1 to 4 risk assessment.

For the longest time P.R. was at level 4

4- Avoid travel to these destinations. If you must travel to these destinations, make sure you are fully vaccinated before travel.

3- Make sure you are fully vaccinated before traveling to these destinations. Unvaccinated travelers should avoid nonessential travel to these destinations.

2- Make sure you are fully vaccinated before traveling to these destinations. Unvaccinated travelers who are at increased risk for severe illness from COVID-19 should avoid nonessential travel to the these destinations.

1-Make sure you are fully vaccinated before travel to these destinations.


I felt is was discriminatory to assess Puerto Rico and U.S Virgin Islands. This list is for International travel only.

Most countries are level 4. The "country" of Puerto Rico was level 4 for the longest time. This has a very bad effect on tourism. The distinction between level 4 and level 3 is huge.. Obviously I am calling Puerto Rico country to point out how us territories were improperly assessed / rated on this list

PR is the safest place you can be on US soil wrt Covid. It has the highest vaccination rates and masks and other common sense measures are taken seriously by most of the population.
EuropeanPete likes this.
chewy3 is offline  
Old Dec 7, 2021, 5:45 pm
  #284  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: New York City, United States.
Posts: 2,623
First flyertalker to eat breakfast at the club

Please post about the experience and the non breakfast offerings throughout the day.

Tomorrow is the Hard" opening of the club lounge
writetorich is offline  
Old Dec 8, 2021, 10:40 pm
  #285  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Programs: Nectar Card
Posts: 1,091
How have folks been getting to/from the property from the airport? (Or rather, what do folks recommend if not a rental car?)

I see the "Transportation" section of the property website suggests a preferred service provider, but wondering if there are decent alternatives.
futuramadramallama is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.