Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Thompson Chicago - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thompson Chicago - REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2021, 1:26 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Breakfast is back at the Thompson. Love the decor and location. Nice recognition as well. Jr Suite, looks like the same as the previous photos. Great use of a 1-4 award night especially now that they are doing breakfast, otherwise the the pancake place across the street is OK.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 3:04 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rbAA
Breakfast is back at the Thompson. Love the decor and location. Nice recognition as well. Jr Suite, looks like the same as the previous photos. Great use of a 1-4 award night especially now that they are doing breakfast, otherwise the the pancake place across the street is OK.
Thank you for sharing, I am there next week. Any tips or reviews you can offer of breakfast?
Old Oct 18, 2021, 7:28 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Thank you for sharing, I am there next week. Any tips or reviews you can offer of breakfast?
Try the halibut Benedict as it's yummy.
Old Oct 18, 2021, 4:25 pm

Thanks, I cancelled my reservations at CAA since I wanted a confirmed suite. Hope Thompson lives up.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Thanks, I cancelled my reservations at CAA since I wanted a confirmed suite. Hope Thompson lives up.
I checked in online and the Jr. Suite room showed up, so I didn't have to ask. YRMV though. Overall, I found that they were proactive in their recognition (Globalist) and even offered/mentioned the 4pm late checkout without an issue, though the housekeeper did stop by about 1pm to ask about when I was checking out. I did leave about 2pm. Much better than expected after reading some of the recent posts here.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 8:19 am

Staying there this weekend, will provide my review. I have 3 rooms booked. How's breakfast work? Specific $ per person?
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Staying there this weekend, will provide my review. I have 3 rooms booked. How's breakfast work? Specific $ per person?
It's order from the breakfast menu, which was quite extensive, but it's seems it's one entre, coffee and juice per person. I had the halibut benedict which was very good, and the bill came back as -0-. However, it did show at the $24 on the hotel bill but they removed the charge, so watch it.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 8:31 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
It seems the supply chain issues have hit this hotels bath amenities. They only have the lotion and shampoo in the DS Durga. The conditioner is from Badgley Mischka and there is no body wash, only bar soap from another brand. I asked the front desk and they seemed unaware of it and said it must be the supply chain issues.
Old Oct 26, 2021, 6:33 am

Was just here this past weekend. As expected was upgraded to a junior suite, asked for a better suite if possible but they were sold out (no big deal).

Had three rooms and all were close to each other which was nice.

This is a very pet friendly hotel, no charges for either of my small dogs which was very nice.

Deep soaking tub in the junior suite is very very nice.

Breakfast for six of us was fully covered by Glob benefits, although I did have to ask them to wipe it at checkout. Valet which is $75 a night was waived due to this being a points stay.

Late checkout offered and given with no issues.

Fairly good location, velvet taco nearby is very good.

Overall great stay, good service, can't complain.
​​​​​
​​​​​
​​​
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2021, 11:15 pm

This place feels overwhelmingly cheap, maybe people are happy to travel again but this isn't luxury.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 12:06 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by parrotheadmjb
This place feels overwhelmingly cheap, maybe people are happy to travel again but this isn't luxury.
I think prices are luxury
Old Nov 14, 2021, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by 59Impala
I think prices are luxury
I really wish this was.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by parrotheadmjb
I'm not clear on what your expectations were, but the Thompson is not the epitome of a super-luxury hotel. Never did they claim they were and no one here seems to classify it as one. It's a very good hotel property for the level it's in. Maybe you need a more opulent lobby? Gold plated fixtures? Compared to similar properties, it's excellent, with an exceptional restaurant attached. Moderation in your expectations may be in order, as compared to the other Chicago-area Hyatts (PH excluded) it's one of my favorites.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 8:09 pm

I'm not clear on what your expectations were, but the Thompson is not the epitome of a super-luxury hotel. Never did they claim they were and no one here seems to classify it as one. It's a very good hotel property for the level it's in. Maybe you need a more opulent lobby? Gold plated fixtures? Compared to similar properties, it's excellent, with an exceptional restaurant attached. Moderation in your expectations may be in order, as compared to the other Chicago-area Hyatts (PH excluded) it's one of my favorites.
Eh, the brand statement on the Hyatt website is "A combination of innovative design and crafted luxury in unique locations, set apart by an unprecedented level of personalized hospitality, private spaces and bespoke journeys." Thompson, like Andaz, is trying to punch a hair above its weight.

Now, in fairness to Thompson, all the decent properties got kept by the Pomerancs as SIXTY hotels. Hyatt got all the misfits, which all of us are finding out while enjoying our $11 breakfast credit at Gild Hall.

You've got to build a brand from something.
Old Nov 14, 2021, 8:32 pm

state side i can't say any category 4 or lower hyatt properties ooze luxury.
rbAA likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.