Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Six to eight weeks for credit on an SLH stay

Six to eight weeks for credit on an SLH stay

Old Apr 27, 19, 5:25 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: AA Exp., Bonvoy something, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Posts: 526
Six to eight weeks for credit on an SLH stay

I feel like Iím in a parallel universe.

I stayed at The Academy in London on a three night reservation in early April. I tried to extend my stay for three additional nights but was unable to do so using the app. The front desk said they would extend it. I asked about getting credit for the nights and was assured by front desk staff that as I was extending an existing reservation I would receive credit for the stay.

Fast forward: I didnít get an invoice after checking out and had to call twice to receive one. The invoice is for all nights at the hotel, but I only received three room nights on WoH.

I called Hyatt and they at first said theyíd check with the hotel and grant credit for the stay. Nothing. I called back, they said it would take two weeks. I called after two weeks, now they claim it will take between six and eight weeks to get credit for the stay,

i dont get it. The invoice is clear. The hotel extended a booking made via the app. Six to eight weeks?

Iíve never experienced anything like this with WoH, or Hyatt until now. Itís kind of shocking,

Has anyone else experienced this kind of service failure? Any suggestions?
embarcadero1 is offline  
Old Apr 27, 19, 6:05 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Posts: 19,627
Yes...it's called "Marriott Bonvoy"
Dsm2m2 likes this.
UA-NYC is offline  
Old Apr 27, 19, 7:54 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: AA Exp., Bonvoy something, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Posts: 526
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
Yes...it's called "Marriott Bonvoy"
I have an allergy to all things Marriott. But thanks for the suggestion 😊
embarcadero1 is offline  
Old Apr 28, 19, 5:40 am
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: LGA/JFK/EWR
Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Posts: 19,627
Originally Posted by embarcadero1 View Post
I have an allergy to all things Marriott. But thanks for the suggestion 😊
Me too that's why I am now over here.

Good luck and report back.
embarcadero1 likes this.
UA-NYC is offline  
Old Apr 28, 19, 6:45 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Posts: 5,387
That sounds similar to how long it sometimes took for MLife stays to get posted when the partnership between Hyatt and MLife was new. So yes, I've experienced that in the past with a long time lag for Hyatt to post stays. Put the receipt in a safe place and keep checking every week or so.
embarcadero1 likes this.
iflyjetz is offline  
Old May 13, 19, 8:57 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: AA Exp., Bonvoy something, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Posts: 526
Update!!

After a mere 275 emails, of which 274 were clarifications of the first one sent, they corrected their mistake and credited my account just four weeks after my stay.

Apparently, this is a speed and efficiency record in these cases.

Hyatt used to be unusual in that their agents could fix problems like this. I don’t know if it has to do with the boundary between Hyatt and Hyatt affiliated hotels (e.g., SLH), but the performance is shocking.

Anyone else find WoH to be uncharacteristically awkward/slow/obstinate in giving credit for nights stayed?

FWIW, a WoH agent quoted this thread to me in one of our dozens of sunboptimal email exchanges. I’d hoped that this thread might spur faster than usual responses, and I fear that may have happened, which makes the whole matter even more shocking. How much employee or customer time are they willing to sacrifice to prevent making a mistake? Did they bring Kafka back from the dead to design their error recovery process? I’m joking. Not really.

This is was a low stakes transaction for them. I have 60 nights so far this year, so the two nights they tried to pocket aren’t exactly game changing for them, even though it was very frustrating for me since I couldn’t get the invoice I needed to be reimbursed for my hotel expenses in London.

Anyone else experience something thing like this? I hope it is not a sign of things to come.
embarcadero1 is offline  
Old May 13, 19, 1:31 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 7,195
Do you know if the problem was the first three nights or the last three nights?

I can certainly understand that the hotel staff could have booked the entirely wrong rate plan for the extra nights, since you have to book via WoH to get credit.

I'm also not sure why you didn't just make another separate three night booking, instead of trying to extend a stay or rely on hotel staff.
craigthemif is offline  
Old May 13, 19, 9:50 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: AA Exp., Bonvoy something, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Posts: 526
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Do you know if the problem was the first three nights or the last three nights?

I can certainly understand that the hotel staff could have booked the entirely wrong rate plan for the extra nights, since you have to book via WoH to get credit.

I'm also not sure why you didn't just make another separate three night booking, instead of trying to extend a stay or rely on hotel staff.
- Because the app didn’t work
- Because I’m not willing to spend time checking in and out just to stay in the same hotel

i stay at Hyatt for work. I don’t work to stay at Hyatt. That’s the deal.
embarcadero1 is offline  
Old May 13, 19, 10:54 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: TPE LAS LHR
Programs: BA Meltdown Gold, OZ♦+ (flying BR/UA), WoH♦, HH♦. Gaming: Mlife Noir, TR7*
Posts: 4,826
Originally Posted by embarcadero1 View Post
- Because the app didn’t work
- Because I’m not willing to spend time checking in and out just to stay in the same hotel

i stay at Hyatt for work. I don’t work to stay at Hyatt. That’s the deal.


Not at all condoning what happened, but just for future reference you should not have to check-out / check-in again to extend a reservation by making a new one. Just go to the FD and confirm with them that you'll be able to stay in the same room if you book additional nights via a new reservation, then book it. If they can allow extending the existing reservation, they can do it this way too.
gengar is online now  
Old May 13, 19, 11:09 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: AA Exp., Bonvoy something, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Posts: 526
Originally Posted by gengar View Post
Not at all condoning what happened, but just for future reference you should not have to check-out / check-in again to extend a reservation by making a new one. Just go to the FD and confirm with them that you'll be able to stay in the same room if you book additional nights via a new reservation, then book it. If they can allow extending the existing reservation, they can do it this way too.
Iím glad to hear that this worked for someone. Thatís the way I thought it would work for me, but thatís not what happened.

The front desk extended the reservation after the app failed. They took another credit card imprint, but nothing else. Then... Four weeks of confusion. Seems like it should be easy, right?

embarcadero1 is offline  
Old May 14, 19, 1:09 am
  #11  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: TPE LAS LHR
Programs: BA Meltdown Gold, OZ♦+ (flying BR/UA), WoH♦, HH♦. Gaming: Mlife Noir, TR7*
Posts: 4,826
Originally Posted by embarcadero1 View Post
Iím glad to hear that this worked for someone. Thatís the way I thought it would work for me, but thatís not what happened.

The front desk extended the reservation after the app failed. They took another credit card imprint, but nothing else. Then... Four weeks of confusion. Seems like it should be easy, right?
I think you misunderstand; I wasn't referencing your particular situation. I get that the app failed to extend your reservation. All I'm saying is that - in the future - if you can make a separate reservation and the FD can block your room, checking-out / checking-in again is not necessary.
embarcadero1 likes this.
gengar is online now  
Old May 14, 19, 1:11 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 7,195
Originally Posted by embarcadero1 View Post


- Because the app didnít work
- Because Iím not willing to spend time checking in and out just to stay in the same hotel

i stay at Hyatt for work. I donít work to stay at Hyatt. Thatís the deal.
Then you don't understand how hotels work.

You make another separate reservation. You go to the front desk and say "I've made another reservation to stay longer". The agent extends your stay in the same room.

No matter what you have to pass by the front desk to get your key validity extended, so I don't understand why you think you can magically do everything on an App.
craigthemif is offline  
Old May 14, 19, 11:06 pm
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: AA Exp., Bonvoy something, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Posts: 526
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
Then you don't understand how hotels work.

You make another separate reservation. You go to the front desk and say "I've made another reservation to stay longer". The agent extends your stay in the same room.

No matter what you have to pass by the front desk to get your key validity extended, so I don't understand why you think you can magically do everything on an App.
I always thought I knew how hotels work, but thanks for pointing out that I donít. Super helpful. I get it now. You understand how hotels work while I rely on magical thinking.

Iím not sure how a super expert such as yourself thinks reservations get made and will beg here with my words for your enlightenment.

When the app failed, my stone-age, magical thinking brain gave me three choices: call the number and wait (hard pass), fire up the website on this hotelís semi-functional WiFi (pass) or stop by the front desk (the one I went for, likely due to not understanding hotels with the millennial wisdom you clearly bring to this task).

I guess Iíve been accruing nights in hotel rooms for all these years by the grace of god since you say this is relying on magic and it turns out that I donít know how hotels work. Thank goodness I havenít been jailed for staying at hotels without knowing how they work!

Please, oh great hotel guru, show us the way.
embarcadero1 is offline  
Old May 14, 19, 11:14 pm
  #14  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Programs: AA Exp., Bonvoy something, UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Columbia Record & Tape Club Triple Diamond VIP
Posts: 526
Originally Posted by gengar View Post
I think you misunderstand; I wasn't referencing your particular situation. I get that the app failed to extend your reservation. All I'm saying is that - in the future - if you can make a separate reservation and the FD can block your room, checking-out / checking-in again is not necessary.
I think I understand what youíre saying.

The FD asked me to settle my bill three separate times - once for each of the three reservations on this stay. The two original reservations were made via the app. The third, which should have extended the first over the weekend, was made by asking the FD to extend the first.

I dont know why, but the FD insisted that I settle the bill - which I understand as checking out - three separate times. Thatís precisely what I was hoping to avoid. If Iíd been able to make a reservation through some other means, Iím not sure it would have been different. I presume this is peculiar to this hotel or to the complications of the SLH/Hyatt relationship.
embarcadero1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread