Hyatt Bedding Generally Rough?

Old Apr 23, 19, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Hyatt Bedding Generally Rough?

Long time Marriott & Hilton traveler. Just started staying in Hyatts for a status match and I've noticed the bedding has a "rough" feel to them across all the properties I've stayed (about 10 different). Is Hyatt's bedding standard this way? I'm used to soft/smooth sheets and pillowcases.
Old Apr 23, 19, 10:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What brands and locations are you comparing? A StR should obviously have higher quality linens than a HP in the same country.
Old Apr 24, 19, 4:52 am

Park Hyatt beds are awfully hard ó I much prefer Four Seasonsí customizable beds.

Generally I found Grand Hyatt beds better than Park or Regency.

Sheets are OK... what brand are you referring to?
Old Apr 24, 19, 6:16 am

Never noticed any difference in terms of sheets/towels quality between Hyatt and corresponding Marriott brands.

Hyatt mattresses are harder. However, at the higher end Hyatt brands, Iíve found mattress toppers are available on request. Also the newest generation of Hyatt mattresses are softer.
Old Apr 24, 19, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Hyatt Regency
Hyatt Place
Hyatt Centric
Hyatt

First, the beds themselves seem to sink down more than what I'm used to (less firm). Second the sheets and pillowcases are not silky smooth like I'm used to.
Old Apr 24, 19, 10:08 am

Programs: Lifetime titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Hyatt place and house are about the same for mattresses... hard
Grands are a bit softer and more comfy...

Sheets are not on par with Westin or Marriotts.. yes kinda of rough

I found Westin HB (the real ones in hotel, not the retail ones from mattress stores) are the best
Old Apr 24, 19, 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by hotelfanatic View Post
Hyatt place and house are about the same for mattresses... hard
Grands are a bit softer and more comfy...

Sheets are not on par with Westin or Marriotts.. yes kinda of rough

I found Westin HB (the real ones in hotel, not the retail ones from mattress stores) are the best
I find this to be highly dependent on the properties.

Outside of Hyatt Places and Houses (which are the low end of Hyatt) the only Hyatt that I've stayed in where the bedding felt bad was the HR Tokyo. I couldn't tell if it was the quality of the bedding or if they were just using a lot of starch or something.

Having said that, I don't know what the OP means by "rough". Personally I do not like sateen sheets. I much prefer a percale weave. Percale will not feel as smooth as sateen though (I find a sateen weave to be too smooth -- almost slippery -- which I find uncomfortable). New percale sheets (even very high quality ones) may feel a bit "coarse" or "rough". This goes away with a few washings, and they get a nice soft, but not slippery, feel. Sateen is soft from day 1. As a side note, a percale weave is gives you a lighter and more breathable sheet than a sateen weave, which is another reason I prefer it.
Old Apr 25, 19, 12:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
Percale will not feel as smooth as sateen though (I find a sateen weave to be too smooth -- almost slippery -- which I find uncomfortable). New percale sheets (even very high quality ones) may feel a bit "coarse" or "rough". This goes away with a few washings, and they get a nice soft, but not slippery, feel. Sateen is soft from day 1. As a side note, a percale weave is gives you a lighter and more breathable sheet than a sateen weave, which is another reason I prefer it.
Amazing what one can learn on the interwebs nowadays.
fairhsa likes this.
Old Apr 25, 19, 11:27 am

At some mid to lower end Hilton brands, I find that the sheets are rougher due to low quality rather than starching/weave. I like a cool, crisp sheet, particularly percale which is slightly coarse and a (very) firm mattress, which is why Hyatt beds are up my alley. Conrad sheets (and mattress firmness) appear to be very similar to PH (sample size of Tokyo, Osaka, and Singapore).

If you compare Hyatt sheets to something like Renaissance (which are almost like sateen), I can see why they appear more rough.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
I find this to be highly dependent on the properties.

Outside of Hyatt Places and Houses (which are the low end of Hyatt) the only Hyatt that I've stayed in where the bedding felt bad was the HR Tokyo. I couldn't tell if it was the quality of the bedding or if they were just using a lot of starch or something.
I noticed the same at HR Tokyo - I think it was the starching.
Old Apr 25, 19, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Amazing what one can learn on the interwebs nowadays.
Well, I did my research before I spent hundreds of dollars per set of sheets

Search this Thread