Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Can I put second Guest on award stay and not show up?

Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:51 am
Original Poster

I booked an award stay for a friend in Singapore and have used a suite upgrade award. I added them as a second guest. Will this be a problem for check in? I know Hyatt has been cracking down on 2nd guest reservations but most of what I read seems to be more related to paid stays. I just want to make sure they don't have a problem checking in. If I did a guest of honor, I'm not sure I'd be able to use the suite night award but I'd love to know if I'm wrong. Also, I selfishly want to get credit for the nights since I am told GOH does not credit nights to the actual globalist but please correct me if I am wrong. TIA
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:28 am

Your breaking the rules. Whether you get caught is another matter. The likelihood of getting caught in Asia is probably higher than other places.

To your other questions:
1. GOH not eligible for TSU.
2. GOH does not give you qualifying nights.

Why not just play by the rules?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Do GoH.

Wasting a TSU and having your friend turned away wouldn't be much fun for either of you... ID checks in Singapore are far stricter than in the US...
Old Apr 21, 2019, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by craigthemif
Do GoH.

Wasting a TSU and having your friend turned away wouldn't be much fun for either of you... ID checks in Singapore are far stricter than in the US...
I'm not condoning this but how do you get caught? Different guests arriving at different times, on different flights, coming from different places, is commonplace. I've certainly reserved a room and had my guest check in early, and I showed up that evening.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm not condoning this but how do you get caught? Different guests arriving at different times, on different flights, coming from different places, is commonplace. I've certainly reserved a room and had my guest check in early, and I showed up that evening.
I've had a US (S. Cal) property tell my wife (checking in early on a reservation booked my name with her name added through the e-concierge) that I needed to stop by and show my ID. I was street parking the car, so stopped by the desk a few minutes later, but I suppose that is one way of cracking down. Not sure what the property would have done if I did not stop by though.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Depending on the location, there are properties which carefully monitor individual check-ins for fraud. As noted, more common in Asia than elsewhere, but not unknown elsewhere.

If your friends get bagged, they will be charged the rack rate for the room and your account may be closed.

If they don't, you will get away with it.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 3:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by slippahs
Not sure what the property would have done if I did not stop by though.
Charge rack rate for the room and any upgrade or benefits granted?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Depending on the location, there are properties which carefully monitor individual check-ins for fraud. As noted, more common in Asia than elsewhere, but not unknown elsewhere.

If your friends get bagged, they will be charged the rack rate for the room and your account may be closed.

If they don't, you will get away with it.
I think you hit the nail on the head... at the end of the day, what this person is doing IS fraud. Lying for financial gain (to get points he's not entitled to, the TSU suite, etc.) is, essentially, the definition, no?
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Follow up question. Suppose I was not a globalist and just booking for a friend, what would be the proper procedure since GOH does not exist for discoverist and explorist?
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by iexaltu
Follow up question. Suppose I was not a globalist and just booking for a friend, what would be the proper procedure since GOH does not exist for discoverist and explorist?
I think you can call in and make a reservation for someone else using your points - they just won't get any WOH perks nor will you get any credit.

Hyatt is also extremely generous in allowing you to gift/transfer points to anyone - so you could also do that, gift them some points.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread. The rack rate thing sounds like nonsense to me. Your friend never agreed to pay the rack rate (or any rate) and actually never did anything remotely fraudulent (checking in for a res where you are a registered guest is certainly not fraud) so the hotel is going to have a hard time claiming that he owes them anything. You, on the other hand...

You can book an award night for another person (it's explicitly allowed in the T&C). However they will not "inherit" any status from you unless you are a globalist making a GoH reservation. You just book it in their name. They will get the credit for the stay (not you).

Suite upgrade awards, however, cannot be applied to a reservation unless you are a guest.

The only fraudulent thing that's happening here is that you are applying the TSU, and you are trying to get credit for the stay when you did not stay. The booking itself is fine. (If you are receiving anything for it, that's selling points, which is expressly against the T&C, though probably not fraud since you never said that you weren't accepting anything for it. That won't stop them from closing your account if they want to, though)

You can also just transfer the points to your friend, although booking it for them is likely easier.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 10:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
There is a lot of misinformation in this thread. The rack rate thing sounds like nonsense to me. Your friend never agreed to pay the rack rate (or any rate) and actually never did anything remotely fraudulent (checking in for a res where you are a registered guest is certainly not fraud) so the hotel is going to have a hard time claiming that he owes them anything. You, on the other hand...
The friend isn't checking in without providing a credit card, though, and if the primary no-shows, things could get interesting. Hyatt awards explicitly mention that awards are "redeemed at check-in," and if the hotel wants to be a stickler for the T&Cs, it seems unlikely that a guest could (officially) redeem an award from a Hyatt account that isn't theirs.

There are a lot of places where this wouldn't be a big deal, but I wouldn't put Singapore on that list.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Again, just to be clear, you can book an award for anyone. The problem here is the TSU (and the attempt to receive qualifying night credit despite not being there)
TerryK and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond

You can book an award night for another person (it's explicitly allowed in the T&C). However they will not "inherit" any status from you unless you are a globalist making a GoH reservation. You just book it in their name. They will get the credit for the stay (not you).

Suite upgrade awards, however, cannot be applied to a reservation unless you are a guest.

The only fraudulent thing that's happening here is that you are applying the TSU, and you are trying to get credit for the stay when you did not stay. The booking itself is fine. (If you are receiving anything for it, that's selling points, which is expressly against the T&C, though probably not fraud since you never said that you weren't accepting anything for it. That won't stop them from closing your account if they want to, though)

You can also just transfer the points to your friend, although booking it for them is likely easier.

The fundamental point is that the booking is fine. However the person in whose name the reservation is made does not, and will not, show up. Therefore a no-show and no elite credit, etc. Any hotel can decide not to provide a room booked in one person's name to another, no matter what is listed in the notes on a reservation... Therefore if the third party still wants a room for the night, he/she will have to pay whatever the hotel decides to charge for the night. That often is "rack rate" for such walk ups.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I booked an award stay for a friend in Singapore and have used a suite upgrade award. I added them as a second guest. Will this be a problem for check in?.....I selfishly want to get credit for the nights..........
It really depends on how "persuasive" your friend is and how much a risk taker he/she is. It may work or it may not depends on FDA handles it. It is not allowed by T&C. As others stated, no issue with booking awards for others even without WoH status. The issue is using suite upgrade as well as trying to receive night credit while not present.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.