Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Am I missing something? Hyatt rewards seems very generous?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Am I missing something? Hyatt rewards seems very generous?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:37 am

They're one of the best out there
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond; IHG Platinum; Bonvoy Gold; AA Platinum Pro and United Premier Silver (DH = AA EXP)
Originally Posted by feetsdr
Looking for the least expensive but quality property... prefer breakfast included.
There's some stipulations with Hyatt regarding breakfasts. You have to be a World of Hyatt member and book directly to receive free breakfast at some properties (Hyatt Place, not sure about Hyatt House). And breakfast is usually only included in the US - not in the EU. There are not many properties with free breakfast. And I believe you have to be pretty high on the elite list to get club/breakfast benefits at full service hotels.

If your spend is through credit card, I don't think you can beat Hilton Honors with a stick. Continental breakfast for gold and diamond (which comes as a benefit with ascend and aspire cards, respectively) at most locations, even ones that don't offer breakfast to every guest. We find that the value of booking at Hiltons translates directly to about $20/person/night, so we often stay at Hiltons even if there is another property that is slightly better, more convenient or cheaper because the breakfast benefit makes up for those deficiencies (within reason - we aren't going to turn down a $100 discount somewhere else or something that is miles away from our ideal location to save $40 on breakfast).
EdofFX likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 12:26 pm
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
[QUOTE=TravelLawyer;31017633]There's some stipulations with Hyatt regarding breakfasts. You have to be a World of Hyatt member and book directly to receive free breakfast at some properties (Hyatt Place, not sure about Hyatt House). And breakfast is usually only included in the US - not in the EU. There are not many properties with free breakfast. And I believe you have to be pretty high on the elite list to get club/breakfast benefits at full service hotels.

Free breakfast in available at Hyatt Place in India as well. Just redeemed a few nights last month with no status, and breakfast was free.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

We get all our points from credit card spend.
You are going to like the Hyatt CC once you can get it. That card plus the Hyatt program itself will result in several free nights during the year as you move toward Globalist, which is generally the best top hotel status.

Globalist has a lot of perks including free parking on point stays, quite valuable in cities.

2 status nights per $5000 spend anywhere with Hyatt CC.

As someone mentioned, if Hilton locations work better for you, consider their Aspire card.
luvFclass likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Loving the current promo too. My first w/Hyatt - don't know how generous they are typically but this one is great IMO.

Meanwhile a couple true believers in the Marriott forum are raving about how good that promo is. Double points!!! So on your ~$150 room, you earn a bonus 1,500 points. Which at the way the program is going I'd value at about ~600 WOH points. LOL.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Loving the current promo too. My first w/Hyatt - don't know how generous they are typically but this one is great ..
This one is pretty good. 3500 net for cat 1 Hyatt House/Place nights. And the nights count toward status.

Nothing.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 6:47 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors, UA Mileage Plus
In general, I find most of the hotel programs to offer similar levels of return on spend. The biggest difference is that Hyatt hasn’t had as much of a deval throughout the years as Marriott or Hilton.

If you were used to spending 20k Hilton points on a room and now that room costs 60k, it seems awful even though you are likely earning 3x as many points now as well. Of course any banked points you have would be worth significantly less.

Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:33 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
70% of Marriott is your crappy CY/RI/SHS/TPS-type property. Many people don't need or want a program that has a property in Small Town USA.
I love Hyatt, but the small footprint is more problematic than you might think.

It probably depends on how you define Small Town, USA.

Tallahassee is the capital of Florida with probably 300,000 in the metropolitan area. Little Rock, also a capital, with 200,000 people. Mobile has about 200,000 people.

I suspect there are at least half a dozen Marriott properties in each of those cities, but no Hyatts.

I'm no huge fan of CY/RI/TPS/etc., but when I suspect Marriott is in practically every city large than 100,000 people, and for those of us traveling regularly outside of "major" metropolitan areas, it makes Hyatt a a more difficult program.

I don't expect Hyatt to match Marriott's footprint (it would be a different hotel and program if it did), but I'd happily take another 20 Hyatt Places scattered around the country.
writerguyfl, strickerj and Harv62 like this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:57 pm

Thanks. We travel for ourselves / pleasure. Not business. Looking for the least expensive but quality property... prefer breakfast included.

We get all our points from credit card spend.

So $5,000 spend on their credit card for most things is 5K points = equiv to 20K on Hilton, which would take 20K/ 3 points per dollar = $6,666 spend. Marriott 20K points would take $10K spend. IHG? that'll take $20K general spend.

I guess it's like when I saw a new sheraton hotel needing 'only' 10K points thought that was an opening deal. Nah, sheraton points were worth 3x marriott points.

Stayed at that hotel a couple times / felt I got burned / over spent my points once I realized my bad math.
Some other considerations:
  • HH and MR give you the fifth night free, so if you typically take long stays, that can skew the analysis away from HY
  • HH Gold benefits surpass both MR and HY comparable status and can be gotten simply via credit card. So if breakfast and the occasional upgrade are interesting, HH seems to have a leg up.
That said, I currently collect Chase UR points almost exclusively via Freedom Unlimited card for normal spend and Chase Sapphire preferred for dining and to allow transfer of points to Hyatt... or UA or WN or...
Old Apr 20, 2019, 1:35 am

YEARS ago I swore off Hyatt - we were at a property in Washington DC with my little kids (15 years ago?) and they wanted to charge extra for us to use the pool. wasn't mentioned on the website, etc about the extra fee.
which Hyatt property in Washington DC?
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:38 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Everybody else goes for the 10 points per $, TRIPLE POINTS promo!!!, OMG get the credit card and earn another TWENTY POINTS and DIAMOND status!!! Only to then require half a billion points for a week's holiday...
LOL are you looking at Hilton?

We need to be fair though. Bottom line is that Hyatt's earn & burn is not that different from Hilton. Without any promos if I am not mistaken you earn 6.5 pts on the dollar with Hyatt Globalist and 20 pts on the dollar with Hilton. With credit card it's 6.5+5 for Hyatt and 20+14 for Hilton. If you value Hyatt points 3-3.5x Hilton then Hyatt comes out ahead by a bit but Hilton's promos tend to be a bit more generous especially if triple points so in the months where that promo is active, Hilton wins by a nose. No major differences overall. And if you use your Hilton points at top end properties like Conrad Bora Bora or Waldorf Astoria Maldives then the ratio Hyatt:Hilton is lower than 3 to 1 so Hilton's earn and burn is better. I realize not everybody goes to these exotic locations but I am just saying.

All that said, I do enjoy the Hyatt on-property experience and their premium hotels more, plus the 4 suite upgrades * 7 nights each confirmed at booking - this is the best in the industry as far as I know. But strictly in terms of earn & burn the differences are not massive in my humble opinion so let's not bash Hilton too harshly, not that you even mentioned the word Hilton in your post though
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by escape4
LOL are you looking at Hilton?

We need to be fair though. Bottom line is that Hyatt's earn & burn is not that different from Hilton. Without any promos if I am not mistaken you earn 6.5 pts on the dollar with Hyatt Globalist and 20 pts on the dollar with Hilton. With credit card it's 6.5+5 for Hyatt and 20+14 for Hilton. If you value Hyatt points 3-3.5x Hilton then Hyatt comes out ahead by a bit but Hilton's promos tend to be a bit more generous especially if triple points so in the months where that promo is active, Hilton wins by a nose. No major differences overall. And if you use your Hilton points at top end properties like Conrad Bora Bora or Waldorf Astoria Maldives then the ratio Hyatt:Hilton is lower than 3 to 1 so Hilton's earn and burn is better. I realize not everybody goes to these exotic locations but I am just saying.

All that said, I do enjoy the Hyatt on-property experience and their premium hotels more, plus the 4 suite upgrades * 7 nights each confirmed at booking - this is the best in the industry as far as I know. But strictly in terms of earn & burn the differences are not massive in my humble opinion so let's not bash Hilton too harshly, not that you even mentioned the word Hilton in your post though
Of course one might think that I am bashing Hilton but I wasn't intending to be specific.

It's a more general comment about how some people think Radisson is the best because you get 20 points per $. Or that your credit card strategy should determine your hotel chain preferences. Or that people want fast tracks to status then complain about too few upgrades, etc.

Call me old-fashioned, but the Hyatt award chart has been 5k-30k since as long as I can remember, and award category adjustments are pretty fair. I'll take that any day over dynamic pricing or 10:1 up:down award category adjustments, even if at a given point in time your maths might still work for earn:burn for the rapidly-devaluing hotel chains.
eefor jfp likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
I love Hyatt, but the small footprint is more problematic than you might think.

It probably depends on how you define Small Town, USA.

Tallahassee is the capital of Florida with probably 300,000 in the metropolitan area. Little Rock, also a capital, with 200,000 people. Mobile has about 200,000 people.

I suspect there are at least half a dozen Marriott properties in each of those cities, but no Hyatts.

I'm no huge fan of CY/RI/TPS/etc., but when I suspect Marriott is in practically every city large than 100,000 people, and for those of us traveling regularly outside of "major" metropolitan areas, it makes Hyatt a a more difficult program.

I don't expect Hyatt to match Marriott's footprint (it would be a different hotel and program if it did), but I'd happily take another 20 Hyatt Places scattered around the country.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tistical_areas

Two of those three cities listed are in 130s for MSA...Little Rock is high 70s. I can live with that, as the vast majority of my travels are top 25 in the US. I get that others need coverage everywhere.

Agreed that a few more HPs are needed though, I have found a couple gaps in my travels. Have to stay at a crappy CY next week for a night and not happy about it!
Old Apr 20, 2019, 8:01 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by craigthemif
award category adjustments are pretty fair. I'll take that any day over dynamic pricing
I agree with the latter statement, dynamic pricing takes away from our FT deal-sniffing abilities. I don't like it at all. That is why I mentioned the Hilton top end properties, that is the only way to get more value for the Hilton points (and at the low end too). Anything in between is dynamic and my brain feels useless.

Regarding your first statement above, yes it is fair but I see that as a liability. If I look at the last 5-10 points redemptions I made with Hyatt, almost all of them went up 1-2 categories this year, so Hyatt knows what it's doing because they are eliminating bargains efficiently. I prefer a hotel chain which picks hotel categories like a bunch of clowns, if you know what I mean
Old Apr 20, 2019, 9:20 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
I have no meaningful status with Hyatt other than having a Hyatt credit card from Chase and I hate the Hyatt terms used for Elite level. What is a Discoverist anyway?

Yet, I like Hyatt because I am being treated better there than being a Marriott Bon Bon Gold at Marriott properties. I have always been offered 2 pm late checkout at Hyatt without even asking. Hyatt award redemption rates are fair and fairly stable, unlike HH and MR where they constantly devalue their points. Now MR wants peak pricing for peak periods, which is just another way to devalue the already lousy redemption.

Hyatt does have the footprint limitation. But this can be easily solved by having another program as backup. I choose my hotel based on what is most convenient.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.