Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Am I missing something? Hyatt rewards seems very generous?

Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:25 am
Original Poster

YEARS ago I swore off Hyatt - we were at a property in Washington DC with my little kids (15 years ago?) and they wanted to charge extra for us to use the pool. wasn't mentioned on the website, etc about the extra fee. I was and still am looking for a quality / low cost hotel. Over the years I read how the fancier hotels add all kinds of fees, figuring they have business guests and most don't care. Or just people with money to burn.

Yeah, I hold a grudge for a long time.

From a credit card I opened a while ago, I got an email recently that the Hyatt points were expiring soon because of inactivity (nice that they sent that).. There was about 5,000 miles in the account. We're taking a trip soon (our little kids are both graduating from grad school : ) and I'm using the loads of points I've accumulated with Marriott, Hilton and IHG. I looked what I can get with hyatt.... I use awardmapper.com to see whats in the area when needing to use points... do you have something better?) and seeing that Hyatt's properties are typically 5K - 8K - 12K, in areas where I am using 15K - 20K - 25K at the other chains.

Have I been shooting myself in the foot avoiding Hyatt? at least to get their credit card and the sign up bonus?

Because we've been opening accounts with all the other companies, Chase isn't letting us open a Hyatt account right now. Am I missing something? Hyatt points DO go farther?

THANKS!
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:30 am

I travel 50-70% for business staying exclusively at Marriott, IHG and Hyatt properties. Hyatt is by far superior to the formers in service levels, elite benefits, and point redemptions
embarcadero1 likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by feetsdr
YEARS ago I swore off Hyatt - we were at a property in Washington DC with my little kids (15 years ago?) and they wanted to charge extra for us to use the pool. wasn't mentioned on the website, etc about the extra fee. I was and still am looking for a quality / low cost hotel. Over the years I read how the fancier hotels add all kinds of fees, figuring they have business guests and most don't care. Or just people with money to burn.

Yeah, I hold a grudge for a long time.

From a credit card I opened a while ago, I got an email recently that the Hyatt points were expiring soon because of inactivity (nice that they sent that).. There was about 5,000 miles in the account. We're taking a trip soon (our little kids are both graduating from grad school : ) and I'm using the loads of points I've accumulated with Marriott, Hilton and IHG. I looked what I can get with hyatt.... I use awardmapper.com to see whats in the area when needing to use points... do you have something better?) and seeing that Hyatt's properties are typically 5K - 8K - 12K, in areas where I am using 15K - 20K - 25K at the other chains.

Have I been shooting myself in the foot avoiding Hyatt? at least to get their credit card and the sign up bonus?

Because we've been opening accounts with all the other companies, Chase isn't letting us open a Hyatt account right now. Am I missing something? Hyatt points DO go farther?

THANKS!
Its not an apples to oranges type comparison. You need to see how many points you earn per stay. 5000 Hyatt points are equivalent to 20,000 Hilton points. Hyatt has a much more limited footprint, so not as many chances to earn or burn.

Hyatt does have some very nice properties. I prefer their Asian HR, GH and similar hotels. I am rarely wowed by their American properties.
EdofFX likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Hyatt does have a more stable earn/burn proposition.

But only people paying attention seem to notice. Everybody else goes for the 10 points per $, TRIPLE POINTS promo!!!, OMG get the credit card and earn another TWENTY POINTS and DIAMOND status!!! Only to then require half a billion points for a week's holiday...
downinit, luvFclass and EdofFX like this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by craigthemif
But only people paying attention seem to notice. Everybody else goes for the 10 points per $, TRIPLE POINTS promo!!!, OMG get the credit card and earn another TWENTY POINTS and DIAMOND status!!! Only to then require half a billion points for a week's holiday...
You are 100% correct. And these are "smart" ppl who don't seem to realize they've been had. I explained it to a friend and he understands but does not want to switch regardless. He wants a status match before trying out Hyatt.
I stopped trying.
luvFclass likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Hyatt does have a more stable earn/burn proposition.

Agreed. I keep on thinking my 500K Marriott points will last me a long time, but that's 6 nights at a high end property. Then poof all gone.

I am three months into my Hyatt relationship and I have loved it so far, even as I'm still a Lowly Discoverist for another two weeks. Loving the current promo.
luvFclass likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks. We travel for ourselves / pleasure. Not business. Looking for the least expensive but quality property... prefer breakfast included.

We get all our points from credit card spend.

So $5,000 spend on their credit card for most things is 5K points = equiv to 20K on Hilton, which would take 20K/ 3 points per dollar = $6,666 spend. Marriott 20K points would take $10K spend. IHG? that'll take $20K general spend.

I guess it's like when I saw a new sheraton hotel needing 'only' 10K points thought that was an opening deal. Nah, sheraton points were worth 3x marriott points.

Stayed at that hotel a couple times / felt I got burned / over spent my points once I realized my bad math.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Hyatt's loyalty structure has gotten extremely generous with the new (starting March 1) Milestone Rewards.
While Hyatt's footprint remains tiny, that can be offset by getting night credits for spend on the new Hyatt card.

Hyatt still uses static award night pricing, while other chains have gone to dynamic pricing. This makes a big difference when hotel cash prices are high.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
other chains have gone to dynamic pricing.
Who does that other than Hilton?
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Hyatt's loyalty structure has gotten extremely generous with the new (starting March 1) Milestone Rewards.
While Hyatt's footprint remains tiny, that can be offset by getting night credits for spend on the new Hyatt card.
"Tiny" is relative esp with Two Roads/SLH/accelerated Hyatt openings. I think for us loyal, legacy Starwood folks, it feels about right, and doable for all the major markets many of us long traveled to.

70% of Marriott is your crappy CY/RI/SHS/TPS-type property. Many people don't need or want a program that has a property in Small Town USA.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by feetsdr
Thanks. We travel for ourselves / pleasure. Not business. Looking for the least expensive but quality property... prefer breakfast included.

We get all our points from credit card spend.

So $5,000 spend on their credit card for most things is 5K points = equiv to 20K on Hilton, which would take 20K/ 3 points per dollar = $6,666 spend. Marriott 20K points would take $10K spend. IHG? that'll take $20K general spend.

I guess it's like when I saw a new sheraton hotel needing 'only' 10K points thought that was an opening deal. Nah, sheraton points were worth 3x marriott points.

Stayed at that hotel a couple times / felt I got burned / over spent my points once I realized my bad math.
If you're primarily doing un-bonused CC spend, then Hyatt almost always comes out on top. Especially because Chase Freedom Unlimited gives 1.5x points for every dollar which is immediately transferrable to Hyatt. So you only need to spend about $3,300 for a free night at the cheapest Hyatt hotels.
DCAFly and feetsdr like this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Marriott has a lot of cases where they have very few "base" rooms, so they upsell on the "view" room or whatever. And a 3rd floor view of a parking lot costs 25% more than the 1st floor view of the parking lot.

Whereas with Hyatt (in general, I'm sure there are some exceptions) hotels generally have the base room available, and the base room costs whatever the hotel category says it should cost.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
"Tiny" is relative esp with Two Roads/SLH/accelerated Hyatt openings. I think for us loyal, legacy Starwood folks, it feels about right, and doable for all the major markets many of us long traveled to.

70% of Marriott is your crappy CY/RI/SHS/TPS-type property. Many people don't need or want a program that has a property in Small Town USA.
Let me know what Hyatt you recommend in Brussels, Belgium.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Coming to Marriott very soon.

This article from 2004 indicates Hilton and Intercontinental went dynamic pricing almost 15 yrs ago: https://www.businesstravelnews.com/M...-Fixed-Pricing
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
I believe that Hyatt generally provides the best free night award redemption value amongst the major hotel loyalty programs. There are exceptions as every program has sweet spots and special opportunities. One area where Hyatt falls short is that there is no 5th night free on free night awards.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.