Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

"Wellness check" every 24 hours policy?

Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United-1K, Marriott-Titanium Ambassador, Hyatt-Globalist

Staying at the Hyatt Regency Mission Bay in San Diego and they've come to my door every day for a wellness check. I've had my do not disturb on the door because I don't want house keeping or anyone rooting through my stuff. With all the "green" policies you would think it's a welcome sight but not here.

8pm every time. They usually knock on the door and say "house keeping", I yell back "no thanks". Then they knock on the door again and say "security wellness check" and some other mumbled stuff.

The first time they said it was state law and I called them out on that since I've stayed 50 nights in California in various hotels in 2019 alone and never had to deal with this. Now they say it's policy.

What a ridiculous policy. I won't be staying here again purely for this annoyance.

I've heard of this happening in Vegas but in a sleepy part of town in San Diego? Give me a break
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
By other reports, if you don't like this policy, you'll have to find another chain.

Staff entering rooms?
Old Apr 17, 2019, 9:53 pm

As was discussed in another thread recently, a lot of hotels across the nation, both small and chain, are moving to this policy as a result of the shooting in Las Vegas. It is becoming more and more common, and in fact in some places hotels will physically enter your room and check on you every single day regardless of the sign, and in some places the policy is still a little more lax but getting more strict.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by CloneCones
What a ridiculous policy. I won't be staying here again purely for this annoyance.
Please make sure you tell someone you feel this way. Preferably, tell someone at the hotel as well as someone at the corporate level. (Just make sure not to make front line employees feel badly...they don't set policy.)

If hotel chains don't hear from people who hate the policy, this type of security theater will continue. Unless hotels start screening luggage, this type of policy will never stop anyone intent on engaging in domestic terrorism.
markko and notquiteaff like this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 6:38 am

I've had the 'privacy please' sign up the entire time at my current Hyatt Regency stay. They called my cell phone on day 11 of 13 asking if there was anything I needed. Probably checking to see if I was still breathing. Don't know if they've tried to enter the room.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: Delta GM, Delta Amex Plat,
I understand this as an annoyance and a frustration as a guest but this is a security & life safety practice. Welcome to 2019.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Interestingly, I had an issue at this very property last weekend. I had the DND sign on the door, the room had already been serviced and the staff had seen me, and while I was out at dinner, housekeeping entered the room and provided turn down service. I found this totally unacceptable.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Bfhause
I understand this as an annoyance and a frustration as a guest but this is a security & life safety practice. Welcome to 2019.
EXACTLY. There are far worse things to worry about than this. AND - I don't consider it "security theater" for them to be monitoring what is going on in their facilities. If you truly have something to hide in your hotel room, then you have issues... IF you are in there, and truly don't want to be disturbed THEN use the deadbolt!
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line is that this is not changing and, if anything, it is expanding to other chains and one-off properties.

Don't jump ship until you are certain that you have lined up alternatives.

For what it is worth, it may be called a "welness" check, but it is more. It is also taking a look to see whether there is anything weird going on in the room.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by lighthouse206
EXACTLY. AND - I don't consider it "security theater" for them to be monitoring what is going on in their facilities.
It's nothing but security theater unless they're searching your luggage. It's incredibly easy to hide a huge amount of weapons and ammo like that. The whole thing is a huge waste that does nothing, very similar to the TSA.
mixmastermark and iluv2fly like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by wackyducky
I've had the 'privacy please' sign up the entire time at my current Hyatt Regency stay. They called my cell phone on day 11 of 13 asking if there was anything I needed. Probably checking to see if I was still breathing. Don't know if they've tried to enter the room.
That may just be "luck of the draw." I just finished an 8 day stay at a Hyatt, and on day 6, I got a call from the front desk confirming that I did not want service that day. However, day 5 was the first day I had not left the DND sign out. So the call was not "gee, we haven't heard from the guest in a long time" and was instead just the variations you get among different employees.

Last year I did stay at a Hyatt that called me every single day I left the DND sign out. No problem. HOWEVER, if instead that was an 8 AM knock on my door, I would absolutely check out. I have things to do at 8 AM.

In general, do y'all know the statistics on suicide in hotel rooms? Maybe it shouldn't be a surprise that it is high, because lonely people are more likely to commit suicide, and we can all imagine that sitting in a hotel room all alone for days on end would be a lonely experience. An afternoon phone call is a legitimate "wellness check." An 8 AM knock on the door, or entering the room when I'm not there, is not.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jn in ca
HOWEVER, if instead that was an 8 AM knock on my door, I would absolutely check out. I have things to do at 8 AM.
Yeah me too. It's called sleeping.

Anyone who wakes me up at 8am when I'm on vacation is getting yelled at until at least noon.
iluv2fly and chicaloca453 like this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Zelucifer
It's nothing but security theater unless they're searching your luggage. It's incredibly easy to hide a huge amount of weapons and ammo like that. The whole thing is a huge waste that does nothing, very similar to the TSA.
Sounds like you've thought it out....

Anyway - a) a lot of criminals aren't that smart, and b) knowing your room is subject to inspection at any point will dissuade at least some people who are up to no good from choosing a Hyatt.... and "up to no good" can mean a lot of things, not just activities like what you are referencing.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
Sounds like you've thought it out....

Anyway - a) a lot of criminals aren't that smart, and b) knowing your room is subject to inspection at any point will dissuade at least some people who are up to no good from choosing a Hyatt.... and "up to no good" can mean a lot of things, not just activities like what you are referencing.
Given that all of this arose from a single incident at a high-rise hotel next to a location where masses of people congregate, this seems like a stretch. More likely, the next Las Vegas-style shooter will simply check in the same day.

I guess after that we'll get twice-daily wellness checks.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 9:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, American Platinum, Southwest A-list
Originally Posted by wackyducky
Wow...that’s a long time to go without someone coming in to at least do a towel refresh and empty the trash cans! 😁

I know I can make it 2 or 3 days without housekeeping, but the old towels start to pile up real fast and at some point, the TP supply starts to dwindle! I suppose someone could “raid” the housekeeping carts to replenish room supplies without ever having a proper room cleaning, but that’s not a route I want to go down!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.