Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Paid a Non-Canellable Rate for a Special Event. Now the Event Has Been Cancelled

Paid a Non-Canellable Rate for a Special Event. Now the Event Has Been Cancelled

Old Apr 10, 19, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion

I paid a prepaid "Special Event" rate of $550 per night per room (2 rooms = $1100 total) for a May 18th stay at the Hyatt Regency in Santa Clara. The event was to be The Rolling Stones but has now been postponed due to Mick's heart surgery. With the "special event" now gone, the rate for the same standard room is $150.
Just curious if anyone on the forum has ever been able to reverse a non-cancellable prepay under circumstances like this.
Should I start with the hotel, the 800#, or my Globalist Concierge? Or is it not worth persuing?
Old Apr 10, 19, 11:15 am

Programs: FORMER Hyatt Diamond Loyalist, now Globallist
[QUOTE=TravelStar;30985840]I paid a prepaid "Special Event" rate of $550 per night per room (2 rooms = $1100 total) for a May 18th stay at the Hyatt Regency in Santa Clara. The event was to be The Rolling Stones but has now been postponed due to Mick's heart surgery. With the "special event" now gone, the rate for the same standard room is $150.
Just curious if anyone on the forum has ever been able to reverse a non-cancellable prepay under circumstances like this.
Should I start with the hotel, the 800#, or my Globalist Concierge? Or is it not worth persuing?[/QUOTE

Interesting situation. I would definitely reach out and explain the situation. You are Globalist, so if they are going to do it, it will be for you. I'd personally start with the 800 Globalist number and tell them the situation. You can always let them know, when they reschedule, you will be back. I think your Status gets this done.If the 800# person is unhelpful ask to escalate to a MGR.
Old Apr 10, 19, 11:33 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TravelStar View Post
I paid a prepaid "Special Event" rate of $550 per night per room (2 rooms = $1100 total) for a May 18th stay at the Hyatt Regency in Santa Clara. The event was to be The Rolling Stones but has now been postponed due to Mick's heart surgery. With the "special event" now gone, the rate for the same standard room is $150.
Should I start with the hotel, the 800#, or my Globalist Concierge? Or is it not worth persuing?
I'd start with the property, as they are the ones that would have to waive the cancellation policy. They obviously know the "Special Event" is no longer occuring and should be prepared for something like this.
MSPeconomist and writerguyfl like this.
Old Apr 10, 19, 1:33 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by skj View Post
I'd start with the property, as they are the ones that would have to waive the cancellation policy. They obviously know the "Special Event" is no longer occuring and should be prepared for something like this.
That's also where I'd start - at the property.
Old Apr 10, 19, 2:01 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
I'm lazy, and this would be the type of thing I'd send an email to my Hyatt Concierge about and fully expect it to be handled without me.

What's the point of having a concierge if they do not handle these types of things?

If it wasn't handled, then I'd contact the hotel directly.
59Impala and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Apr 10, 19, 4:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Centurion
I called the hotel and they were great! Cancelled no problem. Thanks for all your help!
Old Apr 10, 19, 4:35 pm

Wow, great customer service.

I wonder if an airline would be so nice to refund your non refundable airfare... HA!
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 10, 19, 8:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I had a similar situation, but the special event was to have been held at the hotel, so it was no problem. It also wasn't an especially high rate, but when the hotel's restaurant canceled the event, it was beyond the cancellation deadline. I'm a frequented guest at the property, so obviously the front desk understood that they should help me in the circumstances.
Old Apr 11, 19, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler View Post
Wow, great customer service.

I wonder if an airline would be so nice to refund your non refundable airfare... HA!
Par for the course with Hyatt. I've never found them to be unreasonable, with only one exception: Zilara Cancun. Even there, with some prodding, they did the right thing.

Search this Thread