Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Chicago Athletic Association - Unbound Collection REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2023, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Post # 165 details what is included with Founders Fee https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35169864-post165.html
Print Wikipost

Chicago Athletic Association - Unbound Collection REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2022, 1:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by h8stn4d
I can't explain being denied a corner room w/view, but for some reason this hotel does not (or is not required to) offer suite upgrades. It is one of the Suite Ineligible Properties, see:

https://help.hyatt.com/en/hyatt-term...att-terms.html
This wasn't true when they first became a Hyatt. There were lots of early reports of upgrades to very nice suites, although arguably the Founders Rooms facing the park are nicer than some of the smaller and darker suites looking over side streets.

When I stayed here, I was supposedly upgraded into a Founders Suite but was given a Founders Room (and I rejected the nonFounders suite they showed me).
Old Mar 23, 2022, 12:43 pm

Stayed here 3 nights on a cash rate; 2 nights paid 3rd night was free but wasn’t qualifying on the 3rd.

They didn’t take off the founders fee as a globalist but I will get it taken off from my concierge.

Had a 2 doubles room. Was asked before checkin if I actually needed the double room or wanted a king. I confirmed and they gave me a slight upgrade to floor 17 with a partial view of the park. No suite upgrades available. Room had 3 windows, 2 faced directly the building in front viewing the alley/fire escape, 3rd had a view of the park and waterfront. Could see the park from the other windows when looking at an angle. Was pretty satisfied to have this. Better than have a view of a brick wall!

Breakfast was being served the full menu on mondays and Tuesday’s now it seems like it’s offered 7 days a week in the drawing room with the menu available online. You can get breakfast and lunch food. Apparently the menu is served from 7-2pm but got conflicting information from the server vs front desk. We ate at 10am both days no problem. Just given breakfast cards at front desk on checkin to present to servers and they took care of the bill. It was also available for room service but we didn’t take advantage.

Had brunch at Cindy’s and it was packed. Good food and happy to see the property getting business during these times.

Restaurants are still closed on mondays and tuesdays according to the property but I saw on Resy they were accepting reservations on these days in the future so things seem to be opening back up which is nice.

The room itself was decent. Got housekeeping all 3 nights without needing to ask. One night they forgot to refresh the water so had to ask and it was brought up promptly. I will say the windowsills were a bit dusty. The fan in the bathroom worked intermittently; and a switch on the wall was missing the cover over the dimmer. These were quite minor and I felt were a product of the property not being as busy with covid and not being noticed. Easily correctable.

One improvement I would say is the bathrooms with the tubs needing perhaps a curtain and a mat in the shower. Not having either; the water gets everywhere even being careful taking a shower and it makes everything quite slippery; id suggest a room with a dedicated shower next time rather than a tub.

Location is decent for a visit; quick to touristy spots which was good for my stay! And the historical nature of the hotel is beautiful; got me in the chicago spirit as I used this hotel as a base to explore the city. If you didn’t necessarily need to be in this area I’d probably go with one of the centrics next time; the rates are better and include a more predictable room/breakfast situation.
59Impala likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2022, 8:44 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WOH - Globalist, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Had a 1 night award stay last weekend - wanted to be by the Millennium Park/Theater District, so this fit the bill. The location cannot be beat for touristy things, that's for sure. The hotel itself is really cool, with abundant architectural details. It was fully sold out for the weekend, so no globalist upgrade - received a base room looking into the courtyard/alley. The room was tiny and dark, but the space was well utilized, and the bed was very comfortable. The shower with only a single glass panel and no door was an odd choice, and water pressure was non-existent (possibly because of a high floor). No coffee maker in the room, but one can be requested (Keurig). It was fine for an overnight, but I would start feeling claustrophobic after a couple days. I do not believe you can redeem TSUs here (exclusion in T&C).

As others have mentioned, the valet parking stand is not on Michigan Ave, it's on Madison (easy to turn in from either N or S direction on Michigan Ave.). We had breakfast in the Drawing Room - can confirm that at least on Sunday it's served until 2 pm, and includes lunch options, which is great! No check to sign as a globalist, all taken care of. The service level overall is pretty high - closer to a Park Hyatt than to a Regency.

More things of note - Cindy's Rooftop, while difficult to get in for dinner, really empties out at night, and is a great spot for nightcap, especially if the weather is nice. There's no pool at the hotel, what used to be the pool is now just a large space used for events.
59Impala likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2022, 3:10 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Have a stay here in May and just checked pricing. Rates have gone up pretty much. Glad I already booked.

looked at the points calendar and came across this…. Must be an error…. Regency Club??

Old May 11, 2022, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by 59Impala
Have a stay here in May and just checked pricing. Rates have gone up pretty much. Glad I already booked.

looked at the points calendar and came across this…. Must be an error…. Regency Club??
Yep looks like an error. The rates for May and June are back to 12k/15k/18k

We have a 2-night weekend stay here in June. Wondering if anyone can speak to Cindy's. Is the food worth it (given all the other delicious food in the city) or should we just go for drinks? I'd like to go in the morning or at least during the day when we can see the park so I'm not sure if they'll accept reservation for just drinks? I recall reading hotel guests get priority but not sure how that works. If anyone's visited Cindy's recently, please let me know! TIA
Old May 11, 2022, 9:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Skramer86
Yep looks like an error. The rates for May and June are back to 12k/15k/18k

We have a 2-night weekend stay here in June. Wondering if anyone can speak to Cindy's. Is the food worth it (given all the other delicious food in the city) or should we just go for drinks? I'd like to go in the morning or at least during the day when we can see the park so I'm not sure if they'll accept reservation for just drinks? I recall reading hotel guests get priority but not sure how that works. If anyone's visited Cindy's recently, please let me know! TIA
Didn't try food there, but the drinks are delicious.

The view is nice, but you don't need reservations during the day. It's not that busy and if the weather is nice, you can always order in the bar and go to the balcony.

There are apparently 4 bars at the hotel. There's a speak easy that requires reservation and has some interesting but expensive drinks.
Skramer86 likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 4:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat, Alaska MVP
I went to Cindy's last August. The food was good, but somewhat pricey. If you have other culinary stops planned, I think you could do well with just getting drinks. Here are some pics from my visit:

Skramer86 likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 7:50 am

Thank you both! We'll plan to get a drink at Cindy's as long as the weather's nice and it's not too crowded. Can't wait to visit. I'll post a review afterwards!
Old May 16, 2022, 8:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Cindy's is expensive and it is a SCENE. Go for drinks, enjoy the view, and get dinner elsewhere.
fezzington and Skramer86 like this.
Old May 23, 2022, 9:45 am
formerly a193991

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
From what I have read so far, I understand they are pretty stingy with upgrades for Globalists. Especially a TSU cannot be used. Will be here this coming weekend. Hotel seems pretty fully, it was totally sold out a couple of times when I checked availability and rates.

looks like all deluxe rooms and suites are sold out, except for the "1 King Bed Founders Room". Standard rooms available on points, which is a rare sight in my view. Will be interesting to see, if I "just" get my booked room (which would be ok),

looks like 2 wedding rehearsals are taking place this weekend according to the app. These groups must have secured the suites et all.

Last edited by 59Impala; May 23, 2022 at 2:11 pm
Old May 23, 2022, 7:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
From what I have read so far, I understand they are pretty stingy with upgrades for Globalists. Especially a TSU cannot be used. Will be here this coming weekend. Hotel seems pretty fully, it was totally sold out a couple of times when I checked availability and rates.

looks like all deluxe rooms and suites are sold out, except for the "1 King Bed Founders Room". Standard rooms available on points, which is a rare sight in my view. Will be interesting to see, if I "just" get my booked room (which would be ok),

looks like 2 wedding rehearsals are taking place this weekend according to the app. These groups must have secured the suites et all.
I was there on a weekend when it was sold out for a wedding. The room I got was pretty small. The front desk was really nice and had offered a corner room but housekeeping was taking forever. The room I got was pretty small, but I didn't really spend much time in the room so it was alright.
Old May 25, 2022, 11:27 am

Please share your experience afterwards! I'm particularly interested in how Cindy's and the game room work for guests! I read guests gets preferential treatment when it comes to reservations? (Game room has a rotation of 30-min reservation I think someone said.)
Also the breakfast looks pretty nice, especially in the lovely drawing room with the fireplaces. I'm looking forward to that during our stay in mid-June!
Old May 25, 2022, 1:39 pm
formerly a193991

Please share your experience afterwards! I'm particularly interested in how Cindy's and the game room work for guests! I read guests gets preferential treatment when it comes to reservations? (Game room has a rotation of 30-min reservation I think someone said.)
Also the breakfast looks pretty nice, especially in the lovely drawing room with the fireplaces. I'm looking forward to that during our stay in mid-June!

​​​​​​​

Got a welcome letter for my checkin tomorrow. Currently standard rooms are now sold out, a junior suite, corner room and king founder room opened up. Will be interesting to see what I get.

will report back
Skramer86 likes this.
Old Jun 6, 2022, 11:36 am
formerly a193991

Got a welcome letter for my checkin tomorrow. Currently standard rooms are now sold out, a junior suite, corner room and king founder room opened up. Will be interesting to see what I get.

will report back
so, no upgrade whatsoever. I checked in before leaving ZRH, and room was already assigned and ready (w/room number showing). King corner Madison, as booked. No upgrade although better rooms for sale. 2nd room was on points, so waited for checking in that room, did so only at the hotel. No upgrade either. All rooms were sold out now, I guess other Globs were upgraded who checked in earlier. We arrived at 7:30p.

i find it great how other hotels upgrade already the day before in the app. I mean, there is a 72h cxl policy here, so the hotel knows the guest would arrive.

the standard rooms are very gloomy and small. Would never book this room again.
breakfast was just ok. Nothing special, would have expected more. Anything off the menu for Globs included. Coffee was self serve only, no real cups available, just the carton ones…. Not nice for such a location that wants to be exclusive.

the atmosphere was nice to experience. Location is superb. But would not book again, due to the „gloominess“ of rooms. We just like it brighter, so that is just us.

there was no coffee maker in the room. After the first night we are typically awake around 4am due to jet lag. We went out the hotel around 5am hoping to find some open coffee shop - nada. The night porter was helpful and said we should ask the FDA, they always drink coffee and would for sure give us some. The FDA arranged for a Keurig to be delivered to our room, was about 5:30a by then. That was nice. Downside: Coffee maker was never replenished with new capsules or creamer on our 3 night stay, used stuff just removed.

wifi was very bad, it took ages for all 4 of us until it connected, then had to log in again every day.

Cindy‘s was spectacular for the view from the terrace. Drinks were excellent. Food could only be eaten while seated, so we skipped that. Ordering drinks at the bar was a nightmare. No real queue, and people ordered from anywhere along the bar. I dont know how people can eat food at the bar, when other guests keep pushing from behind to order drinks….

long queues on street level to enter the elevator, which takes you to Cindy‘s. As a hotel guest, you can take the other 2 elevators going to the rooms, and Cindy‘s as well. You need the room key to get to Cindy‘s. So that is an advantage.

did not use the game room, very crowded and loud. There are 30-min slots. But fun atmosphere.

overall a good hotel, not the best (and not #8 as per Condenast in my view), I personally will not stay again, but would opt for the Centrics or PH. A GH would be nice for Chicago.
BThumme, Skramer86 and sch_flyer like this.

Last edited by 59Impala; Jun 6, 2022 at 12:34 pm
Old Jun 6, 2022, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Booked 3 different nights in the fall for football weekends...when prices are $350-$450 + the crazy Chi/IL taxes on top, cat 4 certs are a steal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.