Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Chicago Athletic Association - Unbound Collection REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 17, 2023, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Post # 165 details what is included with Founders Fee https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/35169864-post165.html
Print Wikipost

Chicago Athletic Association - Unbound Collection REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2019, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Nice timing - good full review

https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....hyatt-unbound/
Old Nov 11, 2019, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Good stay at a truly amazing property...has an awesome history, and glad Chicago could keep it & renovate it vs. selling it as a tear-down.

Pros:
- good gym, cool decor
- great breakfast (though a bit slow)
- didn't get my room til 3:15pm, so property gave me a $50 F&B credit
- Game Room is just a really cool thing, celebrates the property's history
- Nice location across from Millennium Park; good transit w/the El and buses
- rooms just have a cool style - love the "vaults" at the end of every bed
- view from Cindy's on the roof is great

Cons:
- end of the day, it's a historic property, so you just have to accept that everything will be a bit smaller & more compact
- had to get a 2BR room so no upgrade understandably, but was also in the back of the property...room was very dark due to minimal natural light
- I get the refillable water concept...doesn't mean I have to love it though
- Biggest con IMO...the lobby is on the 2nd floor, so in reality the ground floor is a high traffic entryway. Shake Shack line is pretty insane in there, also a lot of people going in and out for Cindy's. So can be a bit of a mosh pit esp. if you have bags

End of the day - great experience, but not necessarily rushing back next trip
Old Jul 29, 2020, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
We just received an email this morning that the Chicago Athletic Association has ceased operations until March 1st of 2021!
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bcosinteno
We just received an email this morning that the Chicago Athletic Association has ceased operations until March 1st of 2021!
Wow, that’s tough news. I hope no other properties follow suit.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
WOW, just when I was thinking of taking advantage of the free Glob parking there for a late summer or early fall stay.

When something like this is announced, it makes me wonder whether the place will ever re-open.

It's especially curious given the amount of outdoor (restaurant and bar) dining space on the roof deck this place has. There might also be some sidewalk tables for the burger joint on the ground level near the front entrance and lower lobby.
Old Jul 29, 2020, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's a bummer...was looking forward to a return to see any changes a year later. HC it is...
Old Nov 7, 2020, 7:56 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Considering a stay here with friends next year over labor day weekend.
Does anyone have experience using a TSU here? I have not seen any comments on this.
The website does not show if a suite is a standard or premium suite, but I presume the "Junior Suite 2 Double Beds" is the standard suite, being the cheapest of the suites.
What about the next category "Junior Suite 1 King Bed Madison View"? Standard or Premium?

Appreciate any comments. Thanks.
Old Nov 7, 2020, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 59Impala
Considering a stay here with friends next year over labor day weekend.
Does anyone have experience using a TSU here? I have not seen any comments on this.
The website does not show if a suite is a standard or premium suite, but I presume the "Junior Suite 2 Double Beds" is the standard suite, being the cheapest of the suites.
What about the next category "Junior Suite 1 King Bed Madison View"? Standard or Premium?

Appreciate any comments. Thanks.
They are one of the properties that are excluded from TSUs.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 6:08 am
formerly a193991

They are one of the properties that are excluded from TSUs.
thanks. True. I finally did find the list of exemptions. Too bad...
Old Nov 8, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In this hotel, be careful not to confuse Founders Rooms and Founders Suites. The former are very large historic rooms with sofas, desks, etc. and views toward the park and lake on a low floor. Mine was down half a flight of stairs from door and bathroom. Some of their suites are less attractive as they only have windows looking toward a side street and don't seem to get much natural light. IIRC their standard suite is really a junior suite with a unique room divider; they look smaller than my Founders Room was.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 12:05 pm

thanks. True. I finally did find the list of exemptions. Too bad...
Where?
Old Nov 8, 2020, 1:41 pm
formerly a193991

Originally Posted by Daftryan
Where?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32805586-post28.html
Old Nov 9, 2020, 4:00 am
formerly a193991

Does anyone know, what the "Founders Fee" of 75 USD is??? is this another name for "destination fee" or "resort fee" and may be waived for Globalists?

Old Nov 9, 2020, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IIRC that's exactly what it is
59Impala likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 7:39 am

Does anyone know, what the "Founders Fee" of 75 USD is??? is this another name for "destination fee" or "resort fee" and may be waived for Globalists?

It's $25 per night, which is a fairly standard level for a resort or destination (a.k.a. junk) fee. PreCOVID-19, Glob benefits here (drinks and a very nice served breakfast) were worth this much IMO, but of course Globs should be exempt from the fee. To me, the real ripoff charge here is the valet parking fee, which seemed high even for downtown Chicago, especially given that you must navigate and drive to (and FIND!) the side street valet parking stand, with hotel staff at the main entrance being useless here.
59Impala likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.