Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt House Shelton, Connecticut - REVIEW thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt House Shelton, Connecticut - REVIEW thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2019, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Hyatt House Shelton, Connecticut REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Stayed here a few nights in Connecticut and enjoyed it for what it is. Much better than HP Milford or New Haven. I'd rather drive and stay at this HH than at any of the other choices in CT.

The studio room with kitchenette and full sized fridge is my favorite room. Very comfortable Hyatt grand bed!

Bathroom - simple shower/tub combo with excellent water pressure and temperature.

Breakfast - had a fresh made-to-order omelette station. Omelettes were fine.

Fresh berries came in a fruit salad. Mainly, blackberries and a few blueberries mixed in there. Very basic items like an alterating waffle or French toast every other day. They'll give you styroform and you can take away as much as you desire.

Last edited by Aventine; Mar 29, 2019 at 7:14 am
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I stayed at the Hyatt House for several weeks when I first took a job up here. Agree that it is much nicer than the Hyatt Place in Milford (which I also used frequently) and the location is much better as well. There's food options and a supermarket near by which add to the convenience.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:25 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz

We had a nice stay last summer; the rooms facing away from the road outside are very quiet with open fields and woods. I recall being able to see 4th of July fireworks from other towns in the area. The welcome amenity was memorable...
Old Mar 29, 2019, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian

We had a nice stay last summer; the rooms facing away from the road outside are very quiet with open fields and woods. I recall being able to see 4th of July fireworks from other towns in the area. The welcome amenity was memorable...
I didn't get any welcome amenities but FD let me choose any beverages from their store fridge. Nice to get something other than water.
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

They also said they upgraded their wifi. It was fast enough for me.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:28 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Hyatt House Shelton, CT = Attractive Points Redemption

HYATT house Shelton

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

HYATT house Shelton

830 Bridgeport Ave Shelton, CT US 06484

Hyatt House Shelton, CT = Attractive Points Redemption (10 Photos)

HYATT house Shelton

I needed a quick overnight somewhere in Southwest CT and thought it would be a good occasion to try a Hyatt House brand hotel for the first time and make progress for the free night award reached every 5 brands.  I noticed the HH in Shelton CT costs the minimum 5k Hyatt points and considering that most people value Hyatt points at somewhere between 1.5-2.0 cents per point, booking this hotel on points is a no brainer.  The cash rate was slightly above $100 when I booked at the last minute and while I am not familiar with average rates during the year for this hotel, I cannot imagine that it would be so far below $100 that someone could conclude that booking with points is bad value.  Unless you are seriously strapped for points, most people should be able to afford booking this property for 5k pts.  After my stay I came out positively impressed with this brand compared to other brands of a similar level I have seen before, for example Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Homewood Suites, Courtyard, Residence Inn, TownePlace Suites, etc.

IMG_4191.jpeg

In the immediate area of the hotel there are a couple of restaurants (Chili’s and Long Horn Steakhouse) and several others either a short walk or drive away.  The hotel has a shuttle bus which can bring guests within 3 miles of the hotel Monday to Friday which can be useful to people who are in Shelton on business.  I drove to the hotel (free parking) so I did not need the shuttle but I though it is a good feature for a Hyatt House brand hotel to provide this service for guests.

IMG_4190.jpeg

Room

For a quick stay on the cheap, I got exactly what I needed: the room was clean, relatively new, and functional.  I do not think HH hotels are included in the Globalist upgrade program so I expected to receive the rooms as booked (I had two rooms) but both were upgraded to a “studio with sofa bed”.  The studio only sells for $10 more than the entry level room so it’s not a major upgrade but a good gesture nonetheless and it shows they pay attention to which clients have status or not.  The room had a full kitchen with equipment to cook, a dishwasher, oven/microwave, and regular size fridge and freezer.  The room was generally in good condition but if there is minor nitpicking I could do, I would say I wish they had a stand-alone shower rather than the shower in the bathtub.  The power plugs should also be by the bedside rather than having to reach behind the night tables.

IMG_4186.jpegIMG_4187.jpeg

IMG_4185.jpeg

Bar and Billiards

I did not go to the bar in the evening but it seemed to be a nice place to hang out; in addition I thought it was nice to have a pool table for guest use.  

IMG_4184.jpegIMG_4188.jpeg

Dining

Breakfast is free for all guests which I understand is standard for HH.  I thought the offerings were decent relative to competitor brands listed above from Hilton and Marriott groups.  Bananas did not look particularly appetizing, but instead of only having standard hotel fruits, they had blackberries and blueberries which I appreciated.  The breakfast potatoes dish was an extra not always found in traditional boring North American breakfasts, and they also offer a rotation of omelets of the day which stands out from other hotels chains.  

IMG_4196.jpegIMG_4197.jpegIMG_4198.jpeg

Overall

Obviously this hotel won’t be confused with a Grand Hyatt, but if someone has the right expectations for the brand, I can recommend this hotel.  Not only I found the room to be on par or better than similar competing brands, but also there were extra features which were better than expected (room upgrade, shuttle bus, pool table, breakfast) and they could be useful to some guests. Quickly comparing rates with nearby properties in Shelton, I found prices to be very similar between Hyatt House, Hampton Inn, Hilton Garden Inn, Residence Inn, and Courtyard, with HH being at the low end of the range therefore good value for the money comparatively speaking. If I had to pay cash I would have no hesitation returning there, and if points redemptions are available and remain at 5k then it’s a slam dunk.  My brief experience at this hotel will also help me see with a more favorable eye other Hyatt House hotels in the future and makes me more likely to book at HH than before my stay, if local alternatives are low-end Hilton or Marriott properties.

Hyatt House Shelton, CT = Attractive Points Redemption

Would you like to write a review on the HYATT house Shelton?

No, thank you.
Yes
wrldwide1 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I had the same studio suite for 10 days and also enjoyed my stay in CT. I would love for the shower tub combo to go but I understand at this price point.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 5:54 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I wish all Hyatt Houses were this nice.
Old Sep 10, 2021, 8:03 am

I stayed here for one night last week, and thought I'd give a short update on the experience during the pandemic. My impression in terms of the hard and soft product was similar to that of previous reviewers - it's a very nice Hyatt House location. Was recognized as Globalist during check-in (which amounts to little in a Hyatt-house, but it's often a good indicator of attention to details). No upgrade, but the base room books into either a king room or a studio suite. I found the studio suite comfortable, pretty clean, and altogether pleasant. It was very good value for points (it's a cat 1, and rates at the time of my stay were north of $200).

Some Covid-specific issues:
- Breakfast is operating as a buffet, in a pre-Covid style (there is hot food, and it is self-serve from communal dishes). It's very substantial compared to what many other places are offering right now.
- Covid safety was terrible. The hotel does not require masking of either staff or guests indoors, in violation of Hyatt policy. All employees were unmasked during my stay.
escape4 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.