Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place to offer early check-in to Globalists & Explorists

Old Mar 23, 19, 1:01 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Plat/HY-Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/Gold for Life

I am staying at a Hyatt Place this weekend and received an email asking whether I wanted to customise my experience. I looked and found that they were offering a 9am checking at no cost. Yes, please!
Hyatt issued a Press Release on Friday explaining what is happening:
True to its heritage as a consumer-driven brand committed to research and innovation, the Hyatt Place brand leveraged guest and colleague insights to create a differentiated and optimized offering that fits the needs of today’s travelers. The brand piloted the early check-in, late checkout experience across 14 hotels globally in 2018 in diverse markets, including Melbourne, New York, Amsterdam, Chicago and Bangkok. Consumers responded positively to the added flexibility during their stay, no matter their membership tier level.

Knowing that elite World of Hyatt members have late checkout upon request as part of their existing benefits, this was designed to allow all membership levels an opportunity to take advantage of confirming early check-in or late checkout upon availability, with the big difference being the ability to reserve an extended stay window before departing on a trip:

Early check-in:
  • World of Hyatt Globalists and Explorists can reserve 9 am or 12 pm early check-in for free
  • World of Hyatt Discoverists and Members can reserve 9 am or 12 pm early check-in for a fee, starting from $10 USD, pricing varying by location

Late checkout:
  • World of Hyatt Globalists still receive 4 pm late checkout upon request, as part of their existing elite member benefits
  • World of Hyatt Explorists and Discoverists still receive 2 pm late checkout upon request, as part of their existing elite member benefits
  • World of Hyatt Members can reserve 2pm late checkout for a fee, starting from $10 USD, pricing varying by location

Understanding the ability for members to confirm an early check-in or late checkout prior to arrival provides more confidence and control when it comes to booking their stay. World of Hyatt members can reserve early check-in or late checkout at participating Hyatt Place hotels when booking on Hyatt.com within seven days of arrival, or by a few simple clicks within the World of Hyatt mobile app within seven days of arrival, or via the pre-arrival email received a couple days before their stay, all subject to availability.

Hyatt Place early check-in and late checkout member experience is another key step in Hyatt’s commitment to listening to guest and member feedback and caring for their needs. Whether traveling for business or leisure, allowing members more convenience and less stress to come and go at times that work for their schedule helps make the most of their travel journey.

Old Mar 23, 19, 4:14 am
Original Poster

And my first experience - an epic fail at the Hyatt Place Heathrow where - when arriving at 1015, the room was not ready.
Old Mar 24, 19, 12:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Markie View Post
And my first experience - an epic fail at the Hyatt Place Heathrow where - when arriving at 1015, the room was not ready.
Did you have a 9 am check in time reserved/confirmed?

I'm surprised since many airport hotels have already been doing this and should be accustomed to guests coming and going at all hours. Surely the hotel had some early checkouts and it should have been extremely easy to have housekeeping do the room before 10 am.
Old Mar 24, 19, 3:01 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
When did they get you into the room?
Old Mar 24, 19, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by notquiteaff View Post
When did they get you into the room?
I got in around 1045, so not too bad a wait.
Old Mar 24, 19, 6:14 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AS MVPG, Marriott Plat, Honors Dia, IHG Plat, ...
I got in around 1045, so not too bad a wait.
so not quite “epic”
Markie likes this.
Old Mar 24, 19, 6:27 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum
Thanks for the news. This is a helpful benefit that I hope other chains will follow and add. There are trips that I can use an early check in, and Hyatt will be my first choice for those trips.
Old Mar 24, 19, 6:48 am

I think that if you have a confirmed 9am checkin and they can't get you in until 10:45, that's a pretty big problem. Are they ok with me occupying the room until 5:45 when I have 4pm checkout?
MSPeconomist, NJNY and GUWonder like this.
Old Mar 24, 19, 7:32 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Am I the only one who views this as a downgrade for most travelers?

In many facilities, particularly those not in major cities, hotels have been doing this for years and for free for all travelers.
Old Mar 25, 19, 7:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cfabar1 View Post

In many facilities, particularly those not in major cities, hotels have been doing this for years and for free for all travelers.
Many hotels will continue to do this for free, but with a more commonly used infrastructure to charge for such service, being charged for it will become more common than it would otherwise be.

For me, there are two weaknesses with this Hyatt approach: most Hyatt hotels aren’t offering this; the early-check-in requests aren’t going to be all that useful for long-term planning since the requests/reservation (for early checkin) get handled within 7 days or less of arrival. But none of this is any skin off my back, since I will continue to manage without early check-in availability.

The downside of early check-in is that many of the better rooms available for upgrading for the night don’t become available until late in the afternoon or an hour or so after guaranteed late-check-our for top tier elites has taken place.
Old Mar 25, 19, 1:49 pm

Do most hotels offer this? Early check in based on availability when you get there, sure. I've checked in at 7am before.

But, confirmed early check-in? Even as globalist, When letting them know that I will be there early I always get a response that they will try, but they cannot guarantee that a room will be ready until the stated check-in time (which is fair)

There is a big difference between a confirmed early check-in time and an early check-in that is subject to availability upon arrival.
Old Mar 25, 19, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Hyatt Diamond, M/SPG Plat Prem, National Exec Elite, mlife platinum

I don't know any hotels (other than $$$ Peninsula with it's "flexible" check in/out times) that will confirm an early check in for free "for all travelers" earlier than the day of arrival.

For discoverists and non-status, the ability to pay to confirm it in advance is surely a good thing (many hotels do offer this for a fee, such as mlife, lots of hiltons, etc.) -- and the payment would provide a pretty sound assurance that the room will in fact be ready when promised (and if not, presumably the property wouldn't quibble about refunding the payment, at a minimum).
Old Mar 25, 19, 6:08 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: M&M SEN; AC SE100k; Qatar Plat; HH Dia; SPG AMB100; Hyatt Globalist; Fairmont Plat

I have been denied check-out later than 1pm at some Hilton family hotels as a Diamond even when the hotel was not full.

I am sure you are right that some hotels have been providing this for free for years, but we could most likely come up with a list equally as long of which hotels do not.

I view this as a welcome improvement for HP.

Search this Thread