Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Serious Privacy violation at Grand Hyatt Jakarta - What to do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Serious Privacy violation at Grand Hyatt Jakarta - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2019, 11:16 pm
Original Poster

I finally received the contact email for the general manager (the staff sure seemed to take their time providing it!) and sent a detailed email. I won't include the entire email, but this is my request and based on this thread feel it's reasonable:

For me to stay at this hotel again, I would really like to understand what happened.
  • How did this process break down, given that I was under the impression I was marked private.
    • Was the original promise from the first incident not real, and was i not marked private?
    • Was this status accidentally removed at some point?
    • Was the person on the phone just negligent in checking?
  • How do I know this will never happen again if I stay?
    • Is there something that can be demonstrated that the process is being fixed?
    • Is it possible to check in under a fake name? I don't know if this is legal in Indonesia.
Also, my night was ruined. I'm not sure if the above will make me feel comfortable at this property. I feel it would be appropriate for a voucher for one night at a comparable Hyatt property, or the equivalent in points.
My Globalist concierge also replied, offering to give me a call about it. Given her hours are 8am-4pm CST, that's a bit difficult but I'll try and connect with her this week.
Maestro Ramen likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 3:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
I stayed at a Centric where the FDA flat-out lied to my face. (I blame her, not Hyatt.) Simple solution: I don't stay there anymore. End of story.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xinmpg
I finally received the contact email for the general manager (the staff sure seemed to take their time providing it!) and sent a detailed email. I won't include the entire email, but this is my request and based on this thread feel it's reasonable:

My Globalist concierge also replied, offering to give me a call about it. Given her hours are 8am-4pm CST, that's a bit difficult but I'll try and connect with her this week.

So reply and resolution to the thread:

The privacy status was never actually enabled, despite being told it was. My fault for never verifying as was suggested in this thread. I've been assured it is now enabled and the staff is aware. I'll give the hotel a shot again in the next month or two, and also have a friend test as suggested.

I've been offered a complimentary two nights at the Park Hyatt Jakarta when it opens in a few months. I'm very happy with that offer and think it more than makes up.

I'll also have a friend check their privacy once I check in
peter42, MSPeconomist, GK8 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:18 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Hello all,

I've had an incident at the Grand Hyatt Jakarta and the hotel staff seem uncaring or a bit oblivious to the seriousness of this. So, I'm hoping I can get some advice from this group as to how I should escalate this. I'm a Globalist member, and I've stayed at this hotel either using cash or points at least 10-15 nights a year for the past three years.

During my last stay, a troublesome person I wish to avoid called the hotel at about 2am to enquire if I had checked in. The hotel confirmed when I arrived, and when I was checking out. This caused a significant amount of hassle for me which I won't get into. Suffice to say, my evening and remainder of stay there was ruined.

Now, I could understand "these things happen", except this is the second time it did happen. The same issue occured in December of 2017. At the time, the hotel manager assured me I would permanently be marked as "private/incognito" so that no one could ever call up to enquire about my status. Obviously this did not happen, or their process failed.

I raised my concern to the front desk staff, and they attempted to act concerned but obviously did not understand the significance of why this was a problem. I asked to speak with management, but only had contact back from another local manager in the hotel. I was offered 20% off of a night's stay in the future. Ha? Honestly, I'm not sure what I should expect or ask for, but this seems almost pathetically considering nightly room rate is sometimes as low as $135 USD.

Any advice or suggestions how or who i should escalate this issue to? I'm a globalist, so not sure if there is a special method there. A free night may be nice, but honestly I would rather be somehow convinced something is being done so this doesn't happen again.

And please. Let's not derail the thread with speculation about who or what this troublesome person is all about. It's probably not what you think, and it's not significant to my point. But yes, it did literally cause me to lose sleep, drastically change my agenda, and cause significant stress the next few days.
Don't assume that your record is marked permanently "private/incognito" - request that every time you check in. I have had the same problem and I give them a fake name to put on guest list in case someone I want comes. I have never had a problem once I requested at time of check-in. Some (DC ritz) remember and do it automatically. Second, I have a private detective friend who - like on tv - calls standing by the front desk and asks to be connected to your room and watches what the clerk does - he says it is 50% effective.
xinmpg likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 11:09 am

Programs: HAL Platinum, JetBlue, KrisFlyer, NWA, USAirways, Alaska Air
Hello all,

I've had an incident at the Grand Hyatt Jakarta and the hotel staff seem uncaring or a bit oblivious to the seriousness of this. So, I'm hoping I can get some advice from this group as to how I should escalate this. I'm a Globalist member, and I've stayed at this hotel either using cash or points at least 10-15 nights a year for the past three years.

During my last stay, a troublesome person I wish to avoid called the hotel at about 2am to enquire if I had checked in. The hotel confirmed when I arrived, and when I was checking out. This caused a significant amount of hassle for me which I won't get into. Suffice to say, my evening and remainder of stay there was ruined.

Now, I could understand "these things happen", except this is the second time it did happen. The same issue occured in December of 2017. At the time, the hotel manager assured me I would permanently be marked as "private/incognito" so that no one could ever call up to enquire about my status. Obviously this did not happen, or their process failed.

I raised my concern to the front desk staff, and they attempted to act concerned but obviously did not understand the significance of why this was a problem. I asked to speak with management, but only had contact back from another local manager in the hotel. I was offered 20% off of a night's stay in the future. Ha? Honestly, I'm not sure what I should expect or ask for, but this seems almost pathetically considering nightly room rate is sometimes as low as $135 USD.

Any advice or suggestions how or who i should escalate this issue to? I'm a globalist, so not sure if there is a special method there. A free night may be nice, but honestly I would rather be somehow convinced something is being done so this doesn't happen again.

And please. Let's not derail the thread with speculation about who or what this troublesome person is all about. It's probably not what you think, and it's not significant to my point. But yes, it did literally cause me to lose sleep, drastically change my agenda, and cause significant stress the next few days.
When I checked into that very same hotel a couple of years ago, I had a privacy -related event as well. I'm female. My flight had arrived at midnight KL time. By the time I arrived at the hotel it was close to 1AM. I walked in to check into my room and saw the lobby was filled with businessmen from the region. Needless to say, a lone female checking in at that hour turned heads. Now, I was there for business, but not the kind of monkey business they may have imagined. Several of them moved closer as I stood at the counter to check in. When the clerk handed my key, she loudly said my room number and pointed to the elevator I should take. I took a deep breath, pushed the key back to her and said, "And now you're going to upgrade me to a safer floor, and you are not going to announce my room number to all of these men standing around. Otherwise I would like to talk to the manager." She looked very shaken and did what I asked. As she was redoing my room, I asked her, "Would you want any of those men knocking on your door at 3AM?" She shook her head. I said, "You need to always keep the safety of all your guests in mind, especially the women who come here. I am here on business with the Lord Mayor and his staff. I am not here to meet men."

This is one of the greatest challenges females face traveling in certain regions of the world. Even after decades of women traveling on business, there are some men who think you are there for "other" reasons. We learn to be awake, aware, and very assertive about our needs... or, suffer the consequences.

@xinmpg, on your complaint form to Hyatt, I would also mention that there is a discussion on a road warrior website, and you are not the only one who has been challenged by lack of training about privacy issues at this hotel. I don't stay there now when I go. That's the fallout for Hyatt of ignoring this incredibly important part of training the front of the house.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by BSpeaker
When I checked into that very same hotel a couple of years ago, I had a privacy -related event as well. I'm female. My flight had arrived at midnight KL time. By the time I arrived at the hotel it was close to 1AM. I walked in to check into my room and saw the lobby was filled with businessmen from the region. Needless to say, a lone female checking in at that hour turned heads. Now, I was there for business, but not the kind of monkey business they may have imagined. Several of them moved closer as I stood at the counter to check in. When the clerk handed my key, she loudly said my room number and pointed to the elevator I should take. I took a deep breath, pushed the key back to her and said, "And now you're going to upgrade me to a safer floor, and you are not going to announce my room number to all of these men standing around. Otherwise I would like to talk to the manager." She looked very shaken and did what I asked. As she was redoing my room, I asked her, "Would you want any of those men knocking on your door at 3AM?" She shook her head. I said, "You need to always keep the safety of all your guests in mind, especially the women who come here. I am here on business with the Lord Mayor and his staff. I am not here to meet men."

This is one of the greatest challenges females face traveling in certain regions of the world. Even after decades of women traveling on business, there are some men who think you are there for "other" reasons. We learn to be awake, aware, and very assertive about our needs... or, suffer the consequences.

@xinmpg, on your complaint form to Hyatt, I would also mention that there is a discussion on a road warrior website, and you are not the only one who has been challenged by lack of training about privacy issues at this hotel. I don't stay there now when I go. That's the fallout for Hyatt of ignoring this incredibly important part of training the front of the house.
Way to go, You are an example for my girls
Old Mar 26, 2019, 8:39 pm

great handle Dread Pirate Jeff. (Hopefully someone at Hyatt will tell OP "As you wis

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Jeff
Let's make this about you for a moment. Lets say, for whatever reason, someone wants to do you harm. Could be a partner, a colleague, whatever. Do you want to wait until that person attacks you in the hotel lobby after calling around to figure out where you're staying, and THEN call the police after the fact? Or do you think, just perhaps, random strangers should not be able to get info about whether you're staying there or not before hand, making it just that much harder to do you harm?

I'm sorry, but you absolutely SHOULD expect at least that from the hotel you're staying at, and if they give out any information at all about you and someone shows up and does you harm, that hotel should absolutely be liable for significant damages in a lawsuit to follow.

All they have to do is simply always say "I'm sorry, we are not able to give out guest information" and that's that.
Dread Pirate Jeff - great handle!!! Hopefully someone at Hyatt will tell OP "As you wish"
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If they could somehow demonstrate to me in person the system that was supposed to stop this, and show me how it should work in the future, and explain why the process failed last time and why it won't happen again, I would be happy with that. I've designed controls and systems like this myself. Show me what you have, tell me why it didn't work, and convince me how you're going to fix it. Plus, a discount or points.

Otherwise (and this is what i suspect is going to happen), I won't stay at this property anymore and it will be up to the Hyatt in general to give me points or a night at a comparable property to keep me loyal to the brand. Of course, it will be painful for both the Hyatt and myself to switch loyalties, so I really don't want to do that. 85-100 nights a year is a lot of money for them (most of it at much more expensive properties in HK or SH), and it's also a lot of time for me to build back up my status elsewhere.
I completely agree with you about privacy and I'm not trying to blame you in any way, but did you remind the hotel staff at check in that your stay was to be considered private? Alternatively, did you communicate this in advance either at the time of reservation or in a slow up email to, for instance, the front desk manager or even the GM, perhaps the person who told you the last time that your future stays would be marked "private"?

Of course it shouldn't be necessary to do this and every hotel should simply refuse to tell a caller whether you're there, when you arrived, and when you're scheduled to leave, although if someone calls and requests to speak with you or to leave a message, it's hard to see a good way to answer such inquiries in general. It's not helpful to the caller if a message is taken for someone not at the hotel or it the call is transferred to some fake line for messages, but saying that the person isn't a guest also reveals information.

I'm curious how you found out that the hotel confirmed your presence and also gave the person your arrival time and your departure date. Did the staff member who did it volunteer the details to you?
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Years ago, when the Hyatt on the Bund in Shanghai first opened, I stayed there because it was convenient for my work concerns in that immediate area. At that time, and for a period of about 1.5 years, I had to do some quite confidential work/visits into Shanghai. I ended up staying at HOTB at least on a monthly basis for that 18-month period. During my second stay there, I already let the hotel know that I did not wish to receive any calls, I did not want any caller to know whether I was staying there, etc., etc. In short, the Reception, Operators, and any front line staff were not to acknowledge whether I was at this hotel or not.

The staff at HOTB did their job to perfection. Not once did any of the staff divulge my presence at the hotel. For the first half dozen stays, I even got an associate of mine to call the hotel while I was there to get the hotel staff to put the call through to me or to confirm my check in situation. No information given by the hotel during these tests. And for a few times that I was not even at the hotel, I got my associate to call and check anyway, and the staff gave the similar confidential response.

When my particular work ended, I did not stay at HOTB anymore for a few years. On one occasion after those years, I had the chance to stay there again. I was waiting for a friend to call me in my room to go to dinner, and that call never came. Eventually, my friend called my mobile to inquire where I was because the hotel could not find me as a hotel guest. I had completely forgotten about the confidential status of my stays, and after the few years of absence, the hotel still flagged my stays as such.
This is the way it should work, although I would hope that the hotel won't reveal a guest's presence even if there isn't some special request from the guest for additional privacy.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:54 pm

As mentioned above, there was an event in Jakarta that anyone who knows me moderately well could easily assume I would be attending. I can't change that.

My opinion is hotel staff should never divulge by name, but instead if someone calls that person should have to ask for a specific room number. In this age of emails, sms, whatsapp, and ubiquitous international roaming and wifi, how many people would actually have to call a hotel on a land line to find you? Anyone close should be in contact some other way.
If someone calls and asks to be connected to room 1001, the call should not be put through unless the caller can also give the name of the guest in that room. Otherwise some stalker could see a person in the hotel hallway (entering or exiting a room) that he/she wants to "bother" and ask for the person's room, even if they have never met the room occupant.

Recently in a hotel I had a string of calls in the middle of the night (like around 2-3 am) and the hotel denied that they had put the calls through from their switchboard, so we suspected that someone who was also a guest in the hotel (where I didn't know any other guests at all) was doing it. The solution was to block all calls to my room, regardless of whether it was an outside caller or someone dialing room to room.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If someone calls and asks to be connected to room 1001, the call should not be put through unless the caller can also give the name of the guest in that room. Otherwise some stalker could see a person in the hotel hallway (entering or exiting a room) that he/she wants to "bother" and ask for the person's room, even if they have never met the room occupant.

Recently in a hotel I had a string of calls in the middle of the night (like around 2-3 am) and the hotel denied that they had put the calls through from their switchboard, so we suspected that someone who was also a guest in the hotel (where I didn't know any other guests at all) was doing it. The solution was to block all calls to my room, regardless of whether it was an outside caller or someone dialing room to room.
Agree, my experience is most hotels will not connect if you only ask for a room number - they will ask the name.
On the other hand, contrary to one previous post i saw - I generally do not need the room number, as long as I have the full name of the person.

My experience, esp in asia (and I will be checking into GH - Jkt in 2 weeks) - is calling a hotel and asking them to connect me to "Mr. XYZ" generally results in the phone ringing thru in 10 sec or so...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.