Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Marriott status match/challenge -- Platinum treatment better than Globalist Hyatt

Marriott status match/challenge -- Platinum treatment better than Globalist Hyatt

Old Mar 17, 19, 4:36 pm
Original Poster

Arrow Marriott status match/challenge live now -- Plat. treatm better than Globalist Hyatt

Marriott is offering a status challenge right now for those with top competitor status. You can call Marriott Rewards customer service at 801-468-4000 and tell them you want Platinum. You then have 90 days to complete some stays. Probably won't last for long.

I'm trying Marriott Platinum and am pleasantly surprised. Suites have been offered without a battle and the breakfast is on par with Hyatt. 4 pm late check out offered proactively. Welcome amenity. Way more hotels. Strangely, I felt valued.

Even better, Marriott only requires 50 nights for Platinum (compared to 60 Hyatt), and Marriott's credit card gives you 15 night automatic credit, which means you only really have to stay 35 nights for status equivalent of 60 at Hyatt (or 55 if you have the World of Hyatt credit card).

I think Hyatt has gone downhill lately. I'm disappointed by Hyatt gifting Globalist status to probably around 10,000+ people on American Airlines and want all of us to go out of our way to do 60 nights with them.

I think what really made me reconsider Hyatt is a recent trip to the Andaz New York. They recently reclassified all of their standard suites in a very phony way to show how little they care about Globalists. Before, Andaz Suites used to be standard suites for upgrades. Now, they have recategorized all Andaz Suites and claim the ones on the higher floors, above floor 4 I think, are Premium Suites (these were priced around $10 more than the standard suite), even though they are the EXACT same suite and used to be a standard suite before all of these World of Hyatt changes. What a joke! So now only the first few floors are standard suites to limit the number of Globalist upgrades. These kind of games are dishonest and driving me away from Hyatt. Literally same view, same room (not any bigger) just on a slightly higher floor. Mind boggling that they would go to these lengths (reclassifying) to try to avoid giving Globalists upgrades.

Has anyone else tried Marriott recently? Maybe the grass is greener...

Last edited by bmcarr; Mar 17, 19 at 7:10 pm
Old Mar 17, 19, 5:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by bmcarr View Post
I'm trying Marriott Platinum and am pleasantly surprised. Suites have been offered without a battle and the breakfast is on par with Hyatt. 4 pm late check out offered.
I find this hilarious considering the number of threads and posts in the Marriott forum where people are complaining about the exact opposite experience.
Markie, myperks, jsrdelta and 6 others like this.
Old Mar 17, 19, 5:42 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

There's a reason Bonvoyed has been added to the modern lexicon.
Kacee and solewalker like this.
Old Mar 17, 19, 6:37 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, AS, UA, WN; Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, SPG
Thanks for sharing. You must be extraordinarily lucky to such a streak of good luck. I'm sure your stay experience itself is great, but their IT is a nightmare.

In my limited experience with Bonvoy, their system has been pretty horrible. ~50% of my stays do not post automatically, no follow through by hotels promising to e-mail me folios (which is required for retroactive posting of stays). I pretty much gave up on claiming credit for 30% of my stays with them last year, because it was too much work to call hotels just to ask for receipts.
Old Mar 17, 19, 6:39 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
More over-the-top stuff with respect to both programs.
There are only ~10K AA top elites who are offered Glob status. It's pretty safe to assume that many are already Globs and it's further safe to assume that most who aren't Globs are not going to change hotel programs just because of this offer.
But more importantly, something that elites with any program seem to never take into account - more members of a loyalty program means more hotels in that program means more options to everyone in that program. Hyatt has a small footprint; the thing that this program needs is more members so that there are more Hyatt hotels. This is basic business - as demand increases, rational businesses will increase supply in order maximize profits.

As far as the Marriott program goes, here are my comments
The breakfast offering is not as good at most domestic Marriott lounges when compared to domestic Hyatt lounges. International offerings are comparable.
I'm staying at a Marriott tonight; I have still never experienced any of the problems that have been cited on the Marriott forum. And there are more than a few posters there that say the same - no problems.
I suspect the vast majority of 'problems' is former SPG loyalists complaining about Marriott and former Marriot loyalists complaining about how the addition of SPG has screwed up the program. In fact, if you read the posts, you'll find a very common theme where they state that the problem is due to the 'other' program being merged into their legacy program.
I am writing this from one of my favorite domestic Marriott lounges (SFO airport waterfront) where everything regarding my reservation has been executed perfectly by Marriott.
Old Mar 17, 19, 6:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What's your basis for considering Starriott/Bonvoy Plat to be equivalent to WOH Glob? Five NIGHTS of SNAs versus four STAYS or up to seven nights each for TSUs? Top published tier versus third published tier from then top? My Hyatt Concierge versus hoping that your phone call to Bonvoy is answered in less that a couple hours and gets you a minimally competent agent who isn't aggressively rude?
Old Mar 17, 19, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by iflyjetz View Post
I suspect the vast majority of 'problems' is former SPG loyalists complaining about Marriott and former Marriot loyalists complaining about how the addition of SPG has screwed up the program. In fact, if you read the posts, you'll find a very common theme where they state that the problem is due to the 'other' program being merged into their legacy program.
Well, what you say...it's actually nothing of the sort. It's a piss poor "leadership" team that has merged extreme incompetence with a distinct lack of ethics, and make the UA/CO merger look almost rosy by comparison.

Legacy Marriott vs. legacy SPG pro and con arguments is just a sideshow. Both sides are fairly united against Arne & his band of jokers.

IMO it's so bad that folks like me (900 Starwood nights in 9 years) moved to Hyatt with neither a match nor even a challenge; I'm just blackballing giving that company any $$$.
cmx likes this.
Old Mar 17, 19, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
What's your basis for considering Starriott/Bonvoy Plat to be equivalent to WOH Glob? Five NIGHTS of SNAs versus four STAYS or up to seven nights each for TSUs? Top published tier versus third published tier from then top? My Hyatt Concierge versus hoping that your phone call to Bonvoy is answered in less that a couple hours and gets you a minimally competent agent who isn't aggressively rude?
I agree that the agents at Hyatt are definitely better. But, Hyatt used to be so much better to its elites, turndown, welcome amenities, recognize your status at check-in, proactively offer you a better room, etc. I felt like they would go out of their way for you to make sure you had a nice stay and that you felt valued. Now they basically scrapped that great program, just copied Marriott's program. The elite benefits are virtually identically the same as Marriott. Nothing really different (except the TSU), but I am sure you know there is extremely unavailability issues associated with those. Hyatt should go back more to how it was with World of Hyatt, a lot more happy people. Now, I ask myself why go out of my way to stay at a Hyatt? You are entitled to the exact same thing at Marriott (4pm checkout, breakfast, suite)?! And Marriott has so many more locations. The cheapest move Hyatt has made lately is the food in the clubs been so cheapified its sometimes not even worth going to eat. The differentiation from Marriott is what made Hyatt so unique and special. Now it's totally gone.

Last edited by bmcarr; Mar 17, 19 at 7:28 pm
Old Mar 17, 19, 8:29 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
I've gotten one too many lockouts that constitutes a suite at Hyatt properties to be enthused about Hyatt 'suites'. That's not to say I haven't gotten suites at Hyatt properties, but more than 50% of my TSUs have yielded a normal king room with a lockout attached to it.

The only non-Hyatt hotel where I've been given a lockout is the NY Times Square Sheraton.
Old Mar 17, 19, 8:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
I'm glad to hear you've enjoyed your Marriott status. It's certainly easier to maintain than Globalist.

But on a systemwide basis, Plat breakfast benefit is not on a par with what Globalists get. Not even close.

I won't otherwise belabor the current, um, challenges of having been bonvoyed.
Old Mar 17, 19, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA Au Marriott Pt
Honestly, Iím surprised that Hyatt has not done a status match to bring in disgruntled folks that have been Bonvoyed.

Old Mar 17, 19, 11:55 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
Funny as so many of us SPG loyalists are furious at the CS and IT issues brought about by Marriott. I have been testing Hyatt out and have liked what I have seen so far (lifetime titanium over at Marriott and now Globalist at Hyatt). My last stay at HK Hyatt Regency I was upgraded to a Suite which I preferred over the Sheraton I normally take - however the Sheraton gave full buffet breakfast vs Hyatt's CL breakfast and had a much bigger and well-stocked gym. I am guessing full buffet breakfasts in Asia for Marriott will be better than Hyatt CLs, but will have to compare in the US over the summer where Marriott's breakfasts (and SPG's to be fair) have always been subpar.

I am trying PH Istanbul and the STR Istanbul next week to compare. The week after back to HK and most likely will take Regency, though might try GH.

Overall, I am enjoying Hyatt. It feels more like SPG. However, the tiny footprint is a serious issue towards requalification or globalist. Going to Switzerland next month and fthere is nothing whee I am going whiles tons of Marriott choices. There are ample Hyatt choices in cities but not where I like to vacation. Trying to figure out if i think I can qualify by spend.
Old Mar 18, 19, 12:08 am

This looks like either trolling or done by a Marriott employee. Low post count is a dead giveaway. No one joins FT to shill for Marriott
UA-NYC, cmx and craigthemif like this.
Old Mar 18, 19, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by bmcarr View Post
I agree that the agents at Hyatt are definitely better. But, Hyatt used to be so much better to its elites, turndown, welcome amenities, recognize your status at check-in, proactively offer you a better room, etc.
I get all this stuff.

"Thank you for being a globalist" -- constantly. Every phone call; every check-in, every check-out. FWIW I find this "status recognition" completely worthless but if you think it doesn't happen you are clearly not a globalist.

Turndown service -- at every single full service hotel

Welcome amentities -- well over 50% of the time

Upgrades to a higher room category -- 100% of the time at full-service hotels.
Old Mar 18, 19, 12:36 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SHLTP View Post
Funny as so many of us SPG loyalists are furious at the CS and IT issues brought about by Marriott. I have been testing Hyatt out and have liked what I have seen so far (lifetime titanium over at Marriott and now Globalist at Hyatt). My last stay at HK Hyatt Regency I was upgraded to a Suite which I preferred over the Sheraton I normally take - however the Sheraton gave full buffet breakfast vs Hyatt's CL breakfast and had a much bigger and well-stocked gym. I am guessing full buffet breakfasts in Asia for Marriott will be better than Hyatt CLs, but will have to compare in the US over the summer where Marriott's breakfasts (and SPG's to be fair) have always been subpar.

I am trying PH Istanbul and the STR Istanbul next week to compare. The week after back to HK and most likely will take Regency, though might try GH.

Trying to figure out if i think I can qualify by spend.
You could definitely qualify by points earned or spend.

Search this Thread