Hairs in beds - what do you do?

Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist Marriott Gold AA EXP
Hairs in beds - what do you do?

What do you do when you are ready to fall asleep, your kids are already in bed, and you realize the bed sheets clearly were not washed? I found a sticky substance and several hairs on the bed sheet. My son said he found hairs in his bed too.

Refund of points?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bbriscoe34
What do you do when you are ready to fall asleep, your kids are already in bed, and you realize the bed sheets clearly were not washed? I found a sticky substance and several hairs on the bed sheet. My son said he found hairs in his bed too.

Refund of points?
I would want the night comped and to change rooms IMMEDIATELY (if paying cash). If points, then would want points refunded and to change rooms same night. The property can decide if they would be generous enough to throw some extra points your way.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

It was three days ago -I've been travelling ever since. Who do I contact?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can try the GM but things like this are better dealt with in the moment. 3 days later can appear to some low end properties like you're fishing for points and crying wolf. I'm not doubting your story but I've dealt with properties that would do nothing after the fact.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

It was very late at night. I'm not going to change rooms or wait for housekeeping at that point. 2 of my kids were already asleep. Luckily they'd already brought an extra set of sheets for the couch, so I put the bottom one on the bed and flipped the top sheet upside down and went to bed. But still....
Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was very late at night. I'm not going to change rooms or wait for housekeeping at that point. 2 of my kids were already asleep. Luckily they'd already brought an extra set of sheets for the couch, so I put the bottom one on the bed and flipped the top sheet upside down and went to bed. But still....
Very reasonable with kids asleep.
I would have taken photos at least and shown them to FD or Duty manager at checkout. Do you have any?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:34 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Well apparently hairs arent an impediment to staying there. I would send an email and express disappointment at the standard of housekeeping and see what you get. Personally unless the FD is notified immediately its a bit of a wash. I am not sure photos are that helpful, its not like people cant fake that as well.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:06 am

Programs: CX DM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton DM, Marriott Plat
I have once had unchanged bed sheet with blood from previous guest, did get an upgrade to a premium suite on my next stay. That was all.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:35 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
No way I’d request a full refund of points three days after the fact. Complaints like this need to be registered immediately or not at all.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
Move on! It is way too late to complain about this now. How do you expect the property to be able to verify the grounds for complaining after 3 days?

I'm sure worse things could happen to you than this IMO.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The very first thing I do when I walk into any hotel room is check the bathroom for cleanliness (ie, no hairs ANYWHERE), and then undo the bed, checking the sheets, pillow cases, etc - any foreign matter found, I demand the room be re-cleaned, or I am moved to another room.

I wouldn't wait to be checking for cleanliness, it should be the very first thing when you walk in the door.

On top of that, I travel with $1/flatpack Lysol wipes which I use on the nightstand and TV remote.
HMPS likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Delta Platinum
I must echo the above posts. Unfortunately, after you check out is not the time to address the problem. A simple call to the front desk to get your concerns noted would be the minimum. Then on check out you can bring it up to the MOD. Without any documentation of the incident during the stay, I doubt that you'll get anywhere. Can always try to reach out to corporate.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
It doesn’t seem fair to contact corporate if the property itself was never contacted.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

can always talk to management (or ownership) at hotel, especially if you are returning there, but do not ask for much if anything when after the fact
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:41 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
The difference between a Man and a Mouse is the Mouse asks on the internet what to do 3-4 days after the fact.

The Man would have handled the matter with the front desk then and there, teaching a valuable lesson to the young .

The Mouse also taught the young mice a lesson.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.