Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt new policy only 1 bottle of water per room

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt new policy only 1 bottle of water per room

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

depends on location and brand/price ?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by diamond_46
Checked in to Hyatt tonight and told new Hyatt policy is one bottle of water per day per room. Woman at desk gave us a card from Hyatt stating the policy. Called Hyatt and verified this applies to all Hyatt’s. Policy went into effect 7 days ago according to Hyatt representative. Cost to Hyatt probably less than .25 a bottle. Absolutely horrified with this new policy.
do you mind sharing which hyatt this was? very odd. i was just at a hyatt last weekend and no issues getting water.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by blahmeh14
A Hyatt I recently stayed at provided no water in the room, and asked that WoH members who wanted their free water go to the front desk and show ID to get a coupon, and then go to the market and use that coupon to buy a water. They refused to give out coupons for your whole stay in advance so you had to go to the front desk every day for a new one.
Where is this? Did they tell you to keep it secret?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Staying hydrated with 6 bottles at HR Tashkent plus 2 not pictured. 8 bottles as usual and a fridge full of them in the Club Lounge. I don't expect this kind of indulgence at CONUS properties in 2 weeks time.
OsakaWino likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:32 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by avatexrs
Horrified?
I'm "horrified" by people who regularly consume single-use plastic bottles. But I know that I am in minority carrying a refillable water bottle when I travel.
Kacee likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 11:41 pm

Originally Posted by JackE
Things that are not horrible for the environment:
* Recycled, recyclable bottles
In the US, at least 75% of single-use plastic bottles are not recycled.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 12:45 am

Originally Posted by dayone
I'm "horrified" by people who regularly consume single-use plastic bottles. But I know that I am in minority carrying a refillable water bottle when I travel.
Many parts of the world do not have potable drinking water flowing from the tap. While I would prefer sanitized and recirculated glase bottles, these are not always practical or available everywhere. Single use glass bottles use far more energy to produce and recycle than PET bottles do, which of course contributes to carbon emissions.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
In the US, at least 75% of single-use plastic bottles are not recycled.
Don't want to go too OT, but in recent years, it's been about 30% for HPDE/PET bottles in the USA. The bigger concern to anyone claiming to care about the environment is how energy-inefficient most recycling is, not to mention the limited use for recycled plastics (it's not as if recycling plastic bottles makes plastic bottles). As others have mentioned, if Hyatt truly cared about the environment, they wouldn't be using plastic at all.

Last edited by gengar; Mar 8, 2019 at 1:56 am
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:06 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

Many parts of the world do not have potable drinking water flowing from the tap. While I would prefer sanitized and recirculated glase bottles, these are not always practical or available everywhere. Single use glass bottles use far more energy to produce and recycle than PET bottles do, which of course contributes to carbon emissions.
And what is potable drinking water from the tap for many and consumed by many without issue may not be without risk of disturbing the stomachs of many others.

The bottles of water would probably be used less by hotel guests if the glasses in the hotel rooms were more certainly known to be clean. But given the cost-cutting goals involving hotel housekeeping service, my bet is that the glasses are host to more pathogens than if housekeeping services weren’t so squeezed in the interest of cost-cutting goals.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder

And what is potable drinking water from the tap for many and consumed by many without issue may not be without risk of disturbing the stomachs of many others.

The bottles of water would probably be used less by hotel guests if the glasses in the hotel rooms were more certainly known to be clean. But given the cost-cutting goals involving hotel housekeeping service, my bet is that the glasses are host to more pathogens than if housekeeping services weren’t so squeezed in the interest of cost-cutting goals.
Talk about a one-trick-pony. Your posts have one theme and one theme only: cost cuts are screwing everyone over. There's another phrase for "cost cutting" and it's called "efficiency gaining." Efficiency gaining is what enables us to fly around the world for a tiny fraction of what it once cost, it has allowed virtually everyone to afford a smart phone, made it possible to offer free overnight delivery, and has allowed people to (in many cases) live better. Cost cutting does NOT always mean screwing over people: cutting wages, demanding more work, or in your (latest) example: leaving contaminated glassware in rooms.

Finally, municipal water in virtually **every** major metropolitan area in the USA, Canada, and Europe is perfectly safe. Yes, there have been some well-publicized issues (Flint) but beyond that, there are no issues with the water that will cause stomach problems in an average human. So please, stop spreading rumors and false information. Fun fact: most bottled water comes straight out of the municipal tap! Here in Texas, a major source of bottled water comes from lovely Pasadena: a community known for it's oil refineries and chemical plants. IF there is ONE place where I'd prefer to not drink the municipal water, it's probably Pasadena.... yet millions drink bottled water that originated from there.
laxsnaogg likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
Finally.
Thank God!
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Many parts of the world do not have potable drinking water flowing from the tap.
And most large hotels in those places have in-house filtration systems.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:37 am

And most large hotels in those places have in-house filtration systems.
Does this have anything to do with the topic?
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by gengar
in recent years, it's been about 30% for HPDE/PET bottles in the USA. .
If you're saying that 70% of HPDE/PET bottles are recycled, you'll need to cite a source.

The recycling rate for PET plastic bottles in the US was 28.4% in 2016, reflecting a decline of 2.4% in collection volumes, according to the latest figures from National Association for PET Container Resources (NAPCOR) and The Association of Plastic Recyclers (APR).
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:44 am

If you're saying that 70% of HPDE/PET bottles are recycled, you'll need to cite a source.
Would you mind taking your completely OT, and endlessly repeated, discussion elsewhere?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.