Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt new policy only 1 bottle of water per room

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt new policy only 1 bottle of water per room

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lighthouse206
Seriously people??? You DO realize the water that comes out of the tap in your room is likely just as pure as whatever is in the bottle?
That really depends on where you are.

I'm not talking about third world countries either. The tap water in Vegas smells like sulphur.

I live in San Francisco where the tap water is great and I drink it all the time. But there are parts of the country where I would not.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Aventine
Are you a frequent guest? I have never gotten premium water at a US property as a Globalist.
HR Indianapolis placed a card in my room to have me look in the fridge. They put 4 small bottles of Pelligrino in the fridge. I was upgrade to the Deluxe Suite.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Seriously people??? You DO realize the water that comes out of the tap in your room is likely just as pure as whatever is in the bottle? Bottled water is horrible for the environment and I applaud Hyatt for trying to cut back on it (if, in fact, they are..)
You must live a sheltered life and never have to travel to places where the tap water is BAD.
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
That really depends on where you are.

I'm not talking about third world countries either. The tap water in Vegas smells like sulphur.

I live in San Francisco where the tap water is great and I drink it all the time. But there are parts of the country where I would not.
The tap water in West Lafayette, IN (home of Purdue University) is incredibly hard and tastes awful.
BearX220 and Visualp like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by pentiumii
Go to the gym and see if they are providing them for the exercise room. I forget now where I was, but unlimited water there. And, point taken, probably has more to do with the maids carrying all of that water than the .25. In any case, a rotten deal.
I even fill up my reusable water bottle sometimes in the gyms at hotels, usually it’s filtered.
mixmastermark likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
Good riddance!

The single-use plastic bottles (of tap water...Dasani, Aquafina, etc) are an absolute pestilence on the environment. I'm not going to go on a tirade and say everyone who are drinking these in American hotel rooms are part of the problem, but... When traveling internationally, in some places tap water isn't suitable to drink, so bottled water is certainly a necessity at times. In most developed countries, plastic bottled water is unnecessary and incredibly wasteful.

I always travel with a large, refillable water bottle in my carry-on. You may have noticed, in the last 3-4 years, nearly every major American airport has installed filtered water refilling stations above the drinking water fountains (usually located next to the restrooms).

Once at the hotel, to fill up my personal water bottle, I always hit up the fitness center, as they'll typically have a filtered water dispenser. You can also check the hotel ice machine, as many ice machines have a water dispensing faucet built in, since ice machines already filter their water for the ice cubes.

In most of their Hawaiian properties, Hyatt forgoes bottled water in the room completely, leaving instead two, new refillable water bottles. I love this. On top of that they have filtered water dispensers located throughout the property to conveniently refill throughout the stay.

My environmental footprint is already bad enough while traveling, so if I can keep an additional 3-5 plastic water bottles each day out of the landfills/oceans, ^
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mixmastermark
Good riddance!

The single-use plastic bottles (of tap water...Dasani, Aquafina, etc) are an absolute pestilence on the environment. I'm not going to go on a tirade and say everyone who are drinking these in American hotel rooms are part of the problem, but... When traveling internationally, in some places tap water isn't suitable to drink, so bottled water is certainly a necessity at times. In most developed countries, plastic bottled water is unnecessary and incredibly wasteful.

I always travel with a large, refillable water bottle in my carry-on. You may have noticed, in the last 3-4 years, nearly every major American airport has installed filtered water refilling stations above the drinking water fountains (usually located next to the restrooms).

Once at the hotel, to fill up my personal water bottle, I always hit up the fitness center, as they'll typically have a filtered water dispenser. You can also check the hotel ice machine, as many ice machines have a water dispensing faucet built in, since ice machines already filter their water for the ice cubes.

In most of their Hawaiian properties, Hyatt forgoes bottled water in the room completely, leaving instead two, new refillable water bottles. I love this. On top of that they have filtered water dispensers located throughout the property to conveniently refill throughout the stay.

My environmental footprint is already bad enough while traveling, so if I can keep an additional 3-5 plastic water bottles each day out of the landfills/oceans, ^
Yeah, how many of those "reusable" water bottles do they go through? And how much more plastic is in them as compared to a flimsy disposable plastic water bottle? If I am there for a 2 or 3 night stay, I'm sure that using those bottles and throwing them out at the end of the trip is a lot more plastic than 4-6 disposable water bottles.

Like most "environmental" initiatives, it's just about making people feel better about themselves, not about about actually doing anything useful.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Good riddance!

There is packaged water available that comes in non-plastic containers. If Hyatt was just doing this for the environment, they could migrate to non-plastic, disposable/recyclable containers of water. And the options aren’t limited to glass, metal, or plastic.
mixmastermark likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by blahmeh14
A Hyatt I recently stayed at provided no water in the room, and asked that WoH members who wanted their free water go to the front desk and show ID to get a coupon, and then go to the market and use that coupon to buy a water. They refused to give out coupons for your whole stay in advance so you had to go to the front desk every day for a new one.
That is kind of what happened at HH Carlsbad. They didn't need a coupon or anything, but just let me grab from their fridge once a day. They didn't really record anything or check anything, I just went to the front desk and asked for it. They even let me grab milk as a substitute, I looked at the prices in the fridge and the cost for the milk was cheaper than water so they actually made out.

I did go to the fitness center and just brought a bottle to fill up if I needed more water.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:20 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
Why would you "throw out" a reusable water bottle?

The note that accompanies them in the hotel room tells the guest explicitly to keep and reuse it in the future. Using them also trains the average leisure traveler to refill their water bottle on property and helps send the message that single use plastic water bottles are unnecessary. It's not perfect, but I applaud Hyatt for the effort.

Not everyone tosses them. Using it on a week-long Hawaiian vacation can save you money, no need to buy bottled water after you leave the property and explore the island.

For the long flight home, no need to buy yet another plastic bottled (tap) water at the airport.

I always keep them and use them to the point that they crack/break or get lost.

You do you.

I do agree that most environmental initiatives are about patting oneself on the back, but keeping unnecessary plastic hotel water bottles out of landfills/oceans is useful in my opinion.

It's imperative that we think hard about what kind of world we want to leave behind for Keith Richards
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:33 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
I'm not complaining about the change... I love that they made the change. However, there's a few rampant posters on here that are fixated on it. As for your point about manufactured spending, to each their own, but I find the practice to be distasteful to say the least.
We all find things to complain about whether it be changes to the loyalty program, water bottles, how the program is going downhill or a myriad of other things.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why would you "throw out" a reusable water bottle?
Because I stay at a Hyatt in Hawaii about 3 times a year and I don't need piles of them. I also have absolutely no use for them. At home I drink out of a glass. It's just more junk and clutter. It goes in the trash before I leave. I'm certainly not going to lug back a cheap hotel-branded water bottle halfway across the pacific with me.

I do agree that most environmental initiatives are about patting oneself on the back, but keeping unnecessary plastic hotel water bottles out of landfills/oceans is useful in my opinion.
So instead we fill them with thicker (more plastic) reusable water bottles?

I would really like to see numbers on how many of these things Hyatt goes through. There are two in every room for every stay; more than two in the suites (also, real bottled water in the suites -- at least the "fancy" ones)

They like to talk about how many disposable water bottles they save, but I'd guess they in terms of raw plastic they are going through more, not less, with this program.

Don't get me wrong, I like the bottles. They are great for the pool or beach -- way more convenient than a regular disposable water bottle (mostly because you can put ice in them if you want). But I'm not going to lie to myself and pretend that it's doing anything at all for the environment. On my stays alone, they go through about 6 of these things per year. And that's for a total of, maybe, 7 or 8 nights in one room. My stays are definitely shorter than average, but the average stay is still probably under a week. They are probably churning through 100-150 of them per year per room. I'm sure that disposable water bottles would be better for the environment.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:31 pm

Are you a frequent guest? I have never gotten premium water at a US property as a Globalist.
While a glob, I wouldn't say so - it was my first stay at that HR. It was a surprise and appreciated. It could be a new property trying to make a good first impression (they did). It's also possible they pre-assigned that room to me and put the Pellegrino in when I requested early check-in. It's entirely possible my preference for sparkling is in my profile, but I am not sure about that. I'd be curious if future trip reports for this HR show the same.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by gengar
This one just screams of nickel and diming. Yikes.
The end of stay Medellia survey asks in the WOH Globalist section if you got your one bottle of water. Probably the worst top elite benefit I've ever seen on paper.
A 30ct case of water at Costco, etc. retails for about $4. That's 13 cents per bottle. If Hyatts are ready to irritate WoH guests to save 13 cents, that's an interesting retention strategy for a 4* brand.
diamond_46 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Seriously people??? You DO realize the water that comes out of the tap in your room is likely just as pure as whatever is in the bottle? Bottled water is horrible for the environment and I applaud Hyatt for trying to cut back on it (if, in fact, they are..)

Beyond that... I've observed a move to larger single bottles (typically of a premium brand) at some full service Hyatt's... and those cost way more (at retail) than two small bottles of Aquafina.
Things that are horrible for the environment:
* Lead contamination
* Mercury-tainted fish
* Volcanic eruptions

Things that are not horrible for the environment:
* Recycled, recyclable bottles
VegasGambler and nexusCFX like this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:59 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
It seems to me most chains in some way or another are scaling back their use of the in-room bottled water service. I have experienced this not just with Hyatt but other companies such as Hilton and Marriott, but if it is an official change, the Hyatt is certainly the most pronounced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.