Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

2800 point expiring end of the month - anything useful I can do with them?

Old Mar 5, 19, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Flying Club, Avios, Shangri La

So I have 2,800 (woohoo) points expiring at the end of the month.

Seems you need at least 5k to transfer them into Airmiles, and more for a free night's stay somewhere. No plans to stay in a Hyatt any time soon. Is there anything useful I can do with them? Give them to someone even?
Old Mar 5, 19, 3:02 pm

You can extend them by having any kind of transaction. Or yes, you can give/transfer them to someone, though the terms say that is supposed to be specifically for them to make an award booking. Not sure if/how that is enforced after the transfer is complete. I believe if you transfer even 100 points to someone else, it should extend the expiry of the rest of your points as well.
Old Mar 5, 19, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you had an upcoming stay in a Hyatt, you might be able to use the points to "purchase" some onsite perk.

Maybe you could purchase some points to have enough for something useful to you; sometimes this is cost effective.
Old Mar 6, 19, 3:30 pm

Programs: Avis Chairman's, Hertz Au+ , IHG Au, Hyatt, Honors Au (Amex), Marriott Pt & Life Au, Accor Ag
Arrow

WantOnlinePoker, the need for the receiver of a gift of points to have a specific reservation was abolished a few years ago. The old forms asked for the Res. #. So Spaceh0pper can give those points to any friend by using this form..
Old Mar 6, 19, 4:29 pm

If you have Chase Ultimate Rewards points and one of the premium Chase credit cards (Sapphire/Reserve/Ink Plus), you can transfer some points (1k min) to your Hyatt account to extend the expiration date by 2 years.
Brendan, ginmqi and elg26 like this.
Old Mar 6, 19, 4:32 pm

Programs: Avis Chairman's, Hertz Au+ , IHG Au, Hyatt, Honors Au (Amex), Marriott Pt & Life Au, Accor Ag
Good idea, Tth6133. Trouble is, the OP lives in the UK, while those Chase cards AFAIK are available only for US Citizens/ residents !
Old Mar 7, 19, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
You can book C+P on Cat 1 property, it is 2500 points + cash.
Brendan likes this.
Old Nov 19, 19, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA, DL, LH, VX, HA
Originally Posted by WantOnlinePoker View Post
You can extend them by having any kind of transaction. Or yes, you can give/transfer them to someone, though the terms say that is supposed to be specifically for them to make an award booking. Not sure if/how that is enforced after the transfer is complete. I believe if you transfer even 100 points to someone else, it should extend the expiry of the rest of your points as well.
Are there any low cost transactions that can achieve this? For example, airlines often offer magazines at relatively cheap points prices, at least if you're going to forfeit the rest.
Old Nov 19, 19, 4:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Hyatt currently has a sale on points.
Old Nov 19, 19, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Hyatt currently has a sale on points.
Not on the lowest amount, which is $24 for 1000 points.
Old Nov 19, 19, 5:42 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
As I mention in Extending Points Expiration Date , any sort of transaction - even making a points reservation and canceling it later - appears to reset the expiration clock.

If there are no plans to stay with WoH in the future though, I'd just try to gift them to someone else.
Old Nov 24, 19, 2:30 pm

Gengar, that's good for those of us with larger balances to know, but the trouble here is that the OP has only 2800 points, while the cheapest room costs 5000.
Or the OP can try Karung99's idea of C&P.
Old Nov 24, 19, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
Gengar, that's good for those of us with larger balances to know, but the trouble here is that the OP has only 2800 points, while the cheapest room costs 5000.
Or the OP can try Karung99's idea of C&P.
Yes, I only mentioned it because of the apparent cash and points possibility.
Old Nov 25, 19, 2:29 am
Ynj

Programs: haining
Hyatt has a program in China where you can earn 100 hyatt points,

Your hyatt points will be extended.

This is an exclusive activity in China. If you need, please contact me.
Twitter @Yangnengjie311
Old Nov 25, 19, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by gengar View Post
As I mention in Extending Points Expiration Date , any sort of transaction - even making a points reservation and canceling it later - appears to reset the expiration clock.

If there are no plans to stay with WoH in the future though, I'd just try to gift them to someone else.
From the FAQs it says this no longer works:

Please note that, if a member redeems points for an award reservation and either cancels that reservation or does not actually check-in on the appointed date (i.e., no-shows), that will not count as a redemption of points and will not affect the measurement of that memberís World of Hyatt activity.
https://help.hyatt.com/en/faqs/world...ogram.html#/15

Search this Thread
Search Engine: