Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Fee to Send Back Left Item

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I left a coat at Le Meridien Phuket - they sent to me for free because they said I am such a valued guest.

I left shirts with Le Meridien Bangkok, they sent for reaonable rate.

Sheraton HK threw out an expensive adapter I forget and didn't tell me I left. Next time I said they should've told me. They ended up buying me a new adapter at Fortress.

I would be upset at a high markup if you Globalist. At globalist, should be at postage cost or even free.

Non- globalist, reasonable fee is to be expected. But note term reasonable
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gengar
That's horrible, especially for a luxury hotel. At the very least they should allow your choice of any shipper than can be scheduled to pickup at the hotel. Claiming they can't ensure delivery of the item with other shippers is just silly.

Also, just for the record:

Palace Hotel Tokyo - did not charge any additional fees to ship back a damaged piece of luggage via EMS.

Doubletree South Bend - I mistakenly left a few toiletries in the room including a case that was no longer produced, so I really wanted it back. They didn't even charge me to box up and ship the stuff back to me. Again, a Doubletree.

Agreed 100%.
Generally I find that cheaper hotels don't nickel and dime you as much as expensive properties.

Back before free wifi was ubiquitous, it was always the cheap questionable roadside motels that had free wifi, while the expensive ones would charge something ridiculous for it.

And, before that, it was free HBO -- again, in the cheap places.

These days, a look at the brands that give free breakfast to non-elites. It's the cheaper brands -- Hyatt Place and House, Holiday Inn, etc. At higher end properties they will price gouge you for breakfast.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Generally I find that cheaper hotels don't nickel and dime you as much as expensive properties.
Again, the key distinction is what specific services. As noted in other posts, there are plenty of complimentary services offered by luxury hotels at a higher standard than non-luxury properties (if those non-luxury properties offer those services at all). It's not a good claim that, because a luxury property charges more for breakfast (and I mean... shouldn't it?), then that property will or should charge more for every other service offered. Anyone who has stayed at a luxury property knows that's not true.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Again, the key distinction is what specific services. As noted in other posts, there are plenty of complimentary services offered by luxury hotels at a higher standard than non-luxury properties (if those non-luxury properties offer those services at all). It's not a good claim that, because a luxury property charges more for breakfast (and I mean... shouldn't it?), then that property will or should charge more for every other service offered. Anyone who has stayed at a luxury property knows that's not true.
+1

My hunch is that most of the "of course they'll gouge you" posts are from folks who rarely if ever pay cash to stay in/find value in Park Hyatt or better hotels. Sure the rates for the rooms and F&B are high, but service is generally great including things like helping to return lost items. The problem here isn't the surcharge for using the hotel's preferred provider, it's the hotel's refusal to let OP pay for another option!
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Not all PHs are equal either. Some will really go the extra mile and others won't. OP, just bypass the concierge or front desk and tell the GM how it's going to work. Any reasonable GM should be willing to facilitate you getting your stuff back without obscene costs.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have stayed at several luxury hotels. and I find that they have more of a tendency to charge for everything, unless if you have status.

I'm not talking about charging less vs more; I'm talking about charging at all vs it being complementary. I would argue that if you are paying $1000 / night for a room, you should have more of an expectation of a complementary breakfast than if you are paying $60 / night.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
I have stayed at several luxury hotels. and I find that they have more of a tendency to charge for everything, unless if you have status.

I'm not talking about charging less vs more; I'm talking about charging at all vs it being complementary. I would argue that if you are paying $1000 / night for a room, you should have more of an expectation of a complementary breakfast than if you are paying $60 / night.
But that's just counterfactual. It's far and away the high end properties (and not all of them of course) that charge for wifi, parking, breakfast, microwaves, and so forth, and lower end properties that give them for free. So when people expect the opposite I don't find that very realistic.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
But that's just counterfactual. It's far and away the high end properties (and not all of them of course) that charge for wifi, parking, breakfast, microwaves, and so forth, and lower end properties that give them for free. So when people expect the opposite I don't find that very realistic.
That is exactly my point.

I'm saying that it would be reasonable (ie, logical) to expect to have these things included when you pay a lot of money.

However, that is not the case in the world of hotels.

It would make no sense in any other industry. Consider the airline industry. Imagine if Y had free drinks and food (to go with the crappy economy seats) but passengers in F had to pay $16 for a cocktail and $100 for a meal to enjoy with their lie-flat seats.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 5:52 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
And again, it does no good not to specify which specific services are being discussed. Blanket generalizations based on limited "tendencies" don't make for meaningful discussion when there are many obvious contradictions.

Last edited by gengar; Mar 6, 2019 at 8:43 pm
Old Mar 20, 2019, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Thanks everyone for your comments and responses. It is interesting to see such divergent views on this. I tend to agree with those who think this skews towards nickel and diming, but also understand the other points of view.

I think what I'll do is send one more email succinctly expressing how this spoils my view of an otherwise great stay (and one that left me eager to return on an upcoming trip). I'll also let them know that if they want to charge me the marked up amount that they can go ahead, and I'll pay it, but I won't be returning to this property ever again. I don't normally post on Tripadvisor, but I may do it there as well. Some hotels seem to respond to that. By the way, I realized I never shared which PH property this is, but in case you were wondering, it is the PH Saigon.

Thanks again
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by troyb
Thanks everyone for your comments and responses. It is interesting to see such divergent views on this. I tend to agree with those who think this skews towards nickel and diming, but also understand the other points of view.

I think what I'll do is send one more email succinctly expressing how this spoils my view of an otherwise great stay (and one that left me eager to return on an upcoming trip). I'll also let them know that if they want to charge me the marked up amount that they can go ahead, and I'll pay it, but I won't be returning to this property ever again. I don't normally post on Tripadvisor, but I may do it there as well. Some hotels seem to respond to that. By the way, I realized I never shared which PH property this is, but in case you were wondering, it is the PH Saigon.
Thanks for the update. The times I’ve had short stays at this property they seemed fairly reasonable. The email followup seems like a good idea, unless you phrase it in a threatening way. I wouldn’t mention the review at all.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: Globallist
Seems like a value vs no value scenario. Either you want it back at X cost or you don't. It sounds like a pita for them and you.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:50 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
I left an iPhone at the Park Hyatt Tokyo (I know, I know) and didn't realize until I got home. Strangely, they did not reach out — but when I emailed they quickly responded that they indeed had my iPhone. It was sent by UPS the next day and I had it two days later. No charge.

I am guessing it varies per property. I'd expect them to charge more than just shipping.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by creativeguess1
Seems like a value vs no value scenario. Either you want it back at X cost or you don't. It sounds like a pita for them and you.
Hospitality, customer service, etc., are all a PITA. That's why people are willing to pay such a premium for luxury hotels - because the personnel should be motivated and competent to resolve PITA issues.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 1:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caliform
I left an iPhone at the Park Hyatt Tokyo (I know, I know) and didn't realize until I got home. Strangely, they did not reach out — but when I emailed they quickly responded that they indeed had my iPhone. It was sent by UPS the next day and I had it two days later. No charge.

I am guessing it varies per property. I'd expect them to charge more than just shipping.
Wow.

I think Japan is just different though. As I posted in the GH Tokyo thread, when I left a bag of dirty clothes there, and noticed while I was still in Tokyo, they laundered and pressed them for me at no charge. I was very surprised -- I was fully expecting to pick up a bag of dirty clothes.

If you expect Japanese levels of service anywhere else in the world you are most likely going to be disappointed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.