Hotel Fee to Send Back Left Item

Old Mar 22, 2019, 7:17 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I left my suit jacket at a Luxury Collection hotel in 2017. I didn't think twice about the hotel charging me to FedEx it back to me. It was my fault and I'm asking them for a service outside of one they'd usually provide a guest and I'd already checked out.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
A PH is supposed to be a luxury property, so I would not expect them to gouge their customers who have the misfortune to have left items behind.
I thought that was the definition of a "luxury property?"

I guess MSPeconomist replied already.
To the comment about how luxury hotels are supposed to take care of their customers, they don't do it for free.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by troyb
Thanks everyone for your comments and responses. It is interesting to see such divergent views on this. I tend to agree with those who think this skews towards nickel and diming, but also understand the other points of view.

I think what I'll do is send one more email succinctly expressing how this spoils my view of an otherwise great stay (and one that left me eager to return on an upcoming trip). I'll also let them know that if they want to charge me the marked up amount that they can go ahead, and I'll pay it, but I won't be returning to this property ever again. I don't normally post on Tripadvisor, but I may do it there as well. Some hotels seem to respond to that. By the way, I realized I never shared which PH property this is, but in case you were wondering, it is the PH Saigon.

Thanks again
I've stayed there before, thought they had poor service. As did PH Siam Reap. I don't think it is quite the same in southeast Asia for Park Hyatts, even though their name technically is the same as that in Tokyo.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 5:50 am

Originally Posted by troyb
great stay (and one that left me eager to return on an upcoming trip)... I don't normally post on Tripadvisor, but I may do it there as well. Some hotels seem to respond to that.
If you plan on returning to the hotel, or HCMC for that matter on an upcoming trip, why not just collect the item in person? Many times I forget my laundry, and would find it in the room closet on my next stay.

i dont think its fair to post a TA review solely for this.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Has OP mentioned how much the hotel said it will cost vs how much he think it should cost? Are we talking about a $100 difference or a $5 difference? That should make a difference.

I think it is reasonable for a hotel to use a preferred carrier. They may already have an account with them and they have a regular pick up schedule with them, so that they don't need to spend extra time and paper work dealing with a new shipping company. If an airline serves Pepsi, it would be troublesome to find you a coke.

I would expect a Luxury Hotel to offer high quality services and I would expect to pay extra for the better services. Luxury does not mean all-inclusive to me. If I order in room service, should I be expected to not tip because I already paid $1,000 for the room? Of course not. Same idea if I ask the Concierge to do something for me, I would tip appropriately even if the Concierge does not charge by request.

Slightly off topic, a free breakfast at a Hampton Inn is not the same as a free breakfast in a white table cloth restaurant in a Luxury Hotel. IMHO.

Last edited by EdofFX; Mar 23, 2019 at 10:38 am Reason: To clarify further
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Id be interested in what they actually quoted you to ship it. Ive seen crazy rates from some SE Asian countries to the US. $100 minimum for UPS is one I recall.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 6:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Id be interested in what they actually quoted you to ship it. Ive seen crazy rates from some SE Asian countries to the US. $100 minimum for UPS is one I recall.
They quoted me about $110 and I had initially found rates that were about half of that. Keep in mind that this is a very small lightweight item - weighs less than 0.5kg and can fit in 30cm x 10cm x 10cm box or even an envelop. So again, not exactly enormous amounts we are talking about. It was more the idea of it that rubbed me the wrong way.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:51 am

Not a hotel -- but a year ago I left a disabiity tag in a Hertz rental car at SFO. I contacted them, and they said they'd send it to me in San Diego for a charge of $26. Not a lot of packaging for something like that. They could have put it in an envelope and mailed it for the cost of a few stamps. I opted to get a replacement at my local AAA-- no charge.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA 4.0 MM Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by gengar
That's horrible, especially for a luxury hotel. At the very least they should allow your choice of any shipper than can be scheduled to pickup at the hotel. Claiming they can't ensure delivery of the item with other shippers is just silly.
Also, just for the record:
Palace Hotel Tokyo - did not charge any additional fees to ship back a damaged piece of luggage via EMS.
Doubletree South Bend - I mistakenly left a few toiletries in the room including a case that was no longer produced, so I really wanted it back. They didn't even charge me to box up and ship the stuff back to me. Again, a Doubletree.
Agreed 100%.
Also, just for the record:

Glad to hear about the Doubletree in South Bend; Go Irish!!

Several years ago, stayed at the Peninsula Tokyo for the first time. Took the hotel's limo (a small bus) to Narita, and used my wife's new digital camera to take photos on the way. (This was pre-iPhones.) Only after going through security at Narita did I discover that I left the camera on the bus. I emailed the concierge and asked for what I thought would be a fruitless search for the camera.

In any event, on my return to work in Chicago two days later, the camera was sitting on my desk (i.e., it made it back before I did). No charge, just a very polite note. One of my partners remarked that had they not been able to find the camera, they would have bought a new one and magically figured out which photos to take before sending it along.

Having said all that, it is very disappointing - and extremely surprising - to hear about the Park Hyatt, and kudos to the Palace Hotel Tokyo as well..
gengar likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:05 pm

Programs: Globallist
Originally Posted by gengar
Hospitality, customer service, etc., are all a PITA. That's why people are willing to pay such a premium for luxury hotels - because the personnel should be motivated and competent to resolve PITA issues.
Budget hotel. Throws it away or someone keeps the item.

Luxury Hotel We will get the item back to you at a cost.

this scenario, seems reasonable to me, again if its at a value to yourself, pay to have it returned. That's LUXURY with a SMILE. I do think it is case by case, this scenario isn't a terrible worst case scenario. I think some staff at different hotels will go out of their way to resolve, sometimes its the luck of the dray, who you get vs policy. This whole thing feels nit picky and it's not even a hotel in the same Country.

nothing wrong with me having an opinion that others would disagree with, wouldn't be the first time.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by caliform
I left an iPhone at the Park Hyatt Tokyo (I know, I know) and didn't realize until I got home. Strangely, they did not reach out but when I emailed they quickly responded that they indeed had my iPhone.
My understanding of the Japan hotel POV is that, as these hotels are occasionally used for...um, "discrete" encounters, they will never initiate contact after a stay, out of an abundance of caution.
caliform likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hailstorm
My understanding of the Japan hotel POV is that, as these hotels are occasionally used for...um, "discrete" encounters, they will never initiate contact after a stay, out of an abundance of caution.
Hmmm... they will certainly email you after your stay asking you to fill out surveys. The email comes from Hyatt, but it clearly says which hotel you stayed at. They should be able to (safely) use that same email address to get a phone back to you.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Chances are that the property uses a vendor to operate its business center and mailroom (quaint term). That has become the norm and those outfits handle everything and accept the liability.

Just like using the room phone to make long distance or overseas calls (on VOIP no less), room service, and dry cleaning, at an upscale place, you can expect upscale prices.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
I left my suit jacket at a Luxury Collection hotel in 2017. I didn't think twice about the hotel charging me to FedEx it back to me. It was my fault and I'm asking them for a service outside of one they'd usually provide a guest and I'd already checked out.
This is a pretty normal service, if you hadn't realized that from the number of people sharing anecdotes. Larger hotels have fairly substantial areas set aside for lost and found because of it!
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:59 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Gold, Hilton HHonors Gold, QF (currently some base metal), LH, Star Alliance, CSA
I was pleasantly surprised to have only been charged 5 to have a jacket sent back from Salzburg to the UK.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.