Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Fee to Send Back Left Item

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: none
OP, try explaining to the hotel how important you are and why it's in their best interest to send the item to you. If you explain it to them as well as you did in your post here, that should do it.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Do you have a Partner in the location who could pick it up for you? I must admit that I have left items in hotels in Asia and they have returned them to me with no charge.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 5:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Perhaps not so relevant to Hyatt or current times, but I left my favorite pillow at a Bay Area Days Inn in 1995, and they shipped it to me free of charge. If TA had existed back then, I would have posted one of those glowing reviews that most people dismiss as fake.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I have left items at various hiltons across the US and never have they charged me to ship it back. But I always expect them too.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would not expect them to gouge their customers who have the misfortune to have left items behind.
Would you also not expect them to mark up a bottle of wine or a bottle of water by 300-1000% like they do? Luxury hotels are all about gouging customers.
DutchessPDX likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:45 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Would you also not expect them to mark up a bottle of wine or a bottle of water by 300-1000% like they do? Luxury hotels are all about gouging customers.
Yes, but they're also supposed to be all about providing service and dealing with unusual situations/requests.

I'd expect a service fee for returning an item from a limited service property, but at a luxury property, certain services should be included in the room rate (or the concierge's tip in places where this is the norm).
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Certainly shipping something within the domestic US may be under $10. International can be much more expensive. If you don’t ship via a postal service, it can easily be $50-100 even for a smallish item.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
A PH is supposed to be a luxury property, so I would not expect them to gouge their customers who have the misfortune to have left items behind.
Personally, I expect a luxury property to gouge their customers on pretty much everything.

Originally Posted by izzik
Think of it as "shipping & handling" charge.
If you don't like it, chalk it up to a learning experience and adjust expectations for future
This is my take on it: The hotel must store the item securely, obtain the right packing material to ship it safely, pack it properly, go to the post office, fill out customs forms, and stand in a (possibly long) line to return the item back to you. I would expect any hotel -- especially a "luxury" one -- to add a hefty charge for that (and I would be eternally grateful if they didn't).

After leaving things behind, myself, I now allocate five minutes before leaving a hotel room to examine every nook, cranny, safe, and wall outlet to ensure that I have everything important. Sometimes lessons learned painfully are learned well.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:18 pm

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
My wife left two rings (of no value other than sentimental) at the Hyatt Miami last month; they had outsourced their lost and found to a website ILostMyStuff.com. It was $22 to ship the items back via UPS, which was the only option offered. The $22 didn't bother me a whole lot since it was our mistake and they did have to spend some time packaging it up, but shipped via USPS it probably would have been $2. Oh well.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 7:56 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Just a reminder of what's been stated in the OP, as many recent posts seem to have ignored it:

1) The hotel is forcing OP to pay double prevailing rates to get his lost item back while
2) refusing to itemize the actual cost; all while
3) the hotel refuses to allow OP to use his preferred shipping provider.

Originally Posted by mikew99
Personally, I expect a luxury property to gouge their customers on pretty much everything.
Yet many luxury properties do not, as already mentioned several times in this thread.

Last edited by gengar; Mar 5, 2019 at 8:44 pm
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:03 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Implicitly I would draw a line between stuff you ("voluntarily") purchase in a luxury hotel (minibar, F&B, gift shop, etc.) and issues that are more of an emergency matter. I wouldn't expect a luxury hotel to charge me a fee for helping (police report, cancel credit cards, new hotel key card, perhaps information regarding how to replace a passport) after a pickpocket situation or for calling an English speaking doctor and I wouldn't pay (or even normally tip) for minor questions, local maps, etc. To me, the item left behind is closer to an emergency situation.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:11 pm

A PH is supposed to be a luxury property, so I would not expect them to gouge their customers who have the misfortune to have left items behind.
I think the exact opposite. They gouge you on everything else, why wouldn't they gouge you on this?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Heh heh.

When I worked for Hyatt as a graduate student, I left a tie in a room that I stayed in as an employee comp. They were very nice about agreeing to send it to me. No charge was discussed.

Instead, it showed up at my university office C.O.D. Fortunately, the kindly secretary paid it, and I paid her back. Had I known that, I'd have just skipped it. It was a cheap tie.

Had a H.I. Express charge me Priority Mail flat envelope rate to return a pillbox. A Maritim in Berlin charged about $30 to return a few DVDs in a small case. I could've just bought new ones for a few dollars more.

Does not surprise me that a P.H. would charge extortionate shipping rates, since their room rates are also high. The fancier the hotel, the more they tend to nickel and dime you (IME).
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by audio-nut
I think the exact opposite. They gouge you on everything else, why wouldn't they gouge you on this?
This is an inaccurately narrow view - it's obvious that luxury hotels offer plenty of complimentary / loss leader services at a higher standard than non-luxury hotels. It's silly to argue that because luxury hotels charge higher prices for certain services, that they should therefore charge (or charge more) in every instance and for every possible service.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:35 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by JackE
I've left my dignity behind at a few properties with no way to get it back, so consider yourself lucky.
Well at least you had some dignity to begin with ...

For the OP, as you are in the USA and Hyatt is a USA based company I would contact the Hyatt Corporate office and ask for their assistance. Explain the issue in a simple letter that you are happy to pay for reasonable charges but what you are being quote seems out of line not withstanding the fact that the hotel will not document the charges. Attach all correspondence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.