Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt and American Airlines announce enhanced loyalty benefits

Old Mar 5, 19, 7:16 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, 06, GA, Hyatt, Marriott

Earn miles in your sleep and points in the air: American Airlines and Hyatt announce enhanced loyalty benefits.

Expanded relationship will give World of Hyatt and AAdvantage Elite members more reasons to choose American and Hyatt when traveling.

AAdvantage
  • In addition to World of Hyatt points earned through Hyatt hotel stays, AAdvantage Gold, Platinum, Platinum Pro, Executive Platinum and ConciergeKey members will be able to earn one AAdvantage bonus mile for every eligible dollar spent at qualifying Hyatt properties.
  • On top of earning more miles, American’s invitation-only ConciergeKey members will receive World of Hyatt Globalist status as a new way to extend the care provided throughout the entire travel journey.
World of Hyatt
  • In addition to AAdvantage miles earned by flying on American, World of Hyatt Discoverist, Explorist and Globalist members will be able to earn one World of Hyatt bonus point for every eligible dollar spent on qualifying American flights.

Unique to this collaboration, AAdvantage Platinum, Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum members, and Explorist and Globalist World of Hyatt members will also have the opportunity to participate in limited time status challenges. Upon registering, these elite members will be able to immediately enjoy their new loyalty benefits in the reciprocal program tier as they work to maintain that elite tier status. AAdvantage elite members will have access to World of Hyatt elite status benefits, including a dedicated check-in area, late check-out upon request, room upgrades and free premium internet. World of Hyatt elite members will have access to AAdvantage elite status benefits such as priority boarding, free checked bags, free preferred seats and more.

http://newsroom.hyatt.com/index.php?s=20295&item=123803
Old Mar 5, 19, 7:37 am

I was secretly hoping Hyatt and Delta would hook up after Delta lost their relationship with SPG. Oh well... better than nothing.

I'll wait until the details of the "limited time status challenges" comes out but I don't think i'll be flying American more because of this.
Old Mar 5, 19, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, HH Silver
I don't mind status challenges,but I don't care for awarding Globalist status to AA ConciergeKey. Everyone should at least 'earn' their status.
Old Mar 5, 19, 7:49 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Wow, what a one-sided agreement ... One point per $ spent doesn't amount to much for WoH members.

This is potentially a huge devaluation of Glob benefits. Unlike those who obtain Glob via 20 night challenges, but otherwise don't travel much, I assume ConciergeKey members spend serious amounts of time on the road. Thus, the competition for room upgrades will get tougher, lounges will be more crowded, and in general, current Globs will suffer.
MSPeconomist and laptoptravel like this.
Old Mar 5, 19, 8:03 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CIT85 View Post
I don't mind status challenges,but I don't care for awarding Globalist status to AA ConciergeKey. Everyone should at least 'earn' their status.
Originally Posted by skj View Post
Wow, what a one-sided agreement ... One point per $ spent doesn't amount to much for WoH members.

This is potentially a huge devaluation of Glob benefits. Unlike those who obtain Glob via 20 night challenges, but otherwise don't travel much, I assume ConciergeKey members spend serious amounts of time on the road. Thus, the competition for room upgrades will get tougher, lounges will be more crowded, and in general, current Globs will suffer.
There aren't that many Concierge Key members. And those that already travel a lot will have already chosen Hyatt if they were so inclined... This is quite marginal to the upgrade opportunities for "regular" Globalists.
Quinlanty and RedSun like this.
Old Mar 5, 19, 8:10 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, 06, GA, Hyatt, Marriott
I'm still digesting all this but on the surface it appears to be another US-centric move by Hyatt. Partnerships, like properties, are great but it would be nice if Hyatt increased its spread beyond the US a little more.

One Mile at a Time's report suggests in the vicinity of 10k Concierge Key members.

https://onemileatatime.com/american-...m=BoardingArea
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 5, 19, 8:10 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium / LTG, Amtrak Select Executive
This is the email they just sent everyone:

Travel is about to get even more rewarding.

Later this year, World of Hyatt and American Airlines AAdvantageŽ elite members can be even more rewarded and recognized throughout their entire journey.

We wanted you to be the first to know about an exciting expansion to the relationship between World of Hyatt and the AAdvantageŽ program. We’re bringing together the world’s largest airline with the service and care you know from World of Hyatt so that you can feel more rewarded than ever.

Earning
–World of Hyatt elite members will be able to earn one World of Hyatt Bonus Point for every eligible dollar spent on qualifying American Airlines flights. This will be on top of what they are already earning on American Airlines flights.
–AAdvantageŽ elite members will be able to earn one AAdvantageŽ bonus mile for every eligible dollar spent at qualifying Hyatt hotels. This will be on top of what they are already earning on Hyatt stays.

Elite Status
–Explorist and Globalist World of Hyatt members will be able to work their way toward higher status in the AAdvantageŽ program through elite status challenges to enjoy access to the best AAdvantageŽ benefits including priority boarding, free checked bags, free preferred seats and more.
–Additionally, Platinum, Platinum Pro and Executive Platinum AAdvantageŽmembers will be able to work their way toward higher status in the World of Hyatt program through elite status challenges and will have access to the best World of Hyatt benefits, including a dedicated check-in area, late check-out upon request, room upgrades and free premium internet.
Upon registering, these elite members will be able to immediately enjoy their new loyalty benefits in the reciprocal program tier as they work to maintain that elite tier status.

As more information becomes available in the months ahead, we’ll make sure to let you know.
Old Mar 5, 19, 8:16 am

Programs: WoH Glob, HH Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium

I don't really think it will have a noticeable effect. It's not like there are a million concierge key holders out there, and those that are traveling enough and staying at hyatt enough to make this felt would hit glob anyway.
Old Mar 5, 19, 8:19 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium / LTG, Amtrak Select Executive

If a ConciergeKey person accepts Globalist status, but didn't travel enough to enough Hyatts to make Globalist, then they won't be competing for that many upgrades since by that logic, they'll appear at less Hyatts you or other Globalists stay at. If you stayed 60 nights and they stayed 10 at Hyatt last night, then there's at least 50 nights you didn't have to compete against them, and maybe even 60. Can we stop the hysteria about some people getting Globalist status and somehow taking away upgrade space when they aren't even staying at a Hyatt regularly

Now, if they get TSUs (unlike the people who got 20 nights globalist due to a corporate challenge), then that's a legit gripe, because they could be taking a room at an aspirational property on vacation. So can we at least take a wait and see approach if they are getting TSUs?

But for every day road warriors who earn globalist via nights, this really shouldn't affect them.
Old Mar 5, 19, 8:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Even if there's just one CK member, if I lose a suite upgrade to that person, it's one too many CK members being given Glob status without earning it.

Now if Globs were given EXP status for free, it might seem more fair. The proposed rules on this make it far too one sided.
Markie, Renard, CIT85 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 5, 19, 8:28 am

Programs: SPG-PPE+Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-Gold
Very one sided and not much of a benefit for Hyatt elites. Unless this provides actual elite status on Aadvantage for globalist, which the article indicates it will not, this seems stupid for hyatt. But not surprising. I wont complain about free points, but it will be interesting to see how easy the status challenges will be. Since the article states that aadvantage elites will get their reciprocal status up front, im hoping this doesn't include globalist status for the higher tiers. Aadvantage has 8 zillion elites from what I can tell anytime I fly through dfw, so free status challenges could have a pretty negative effect. Just sign up before big vacations over holiday periods and enjoy globalist benefits, rinse-repeat. If the challenges don't include globalist up front I won't care that much.
Old Mar 5, 19, 8:30 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It won't be good either if the status challenges or giveaways include lounge access certs. Some Hyatt lounges are already overcrowded.
Old Mar 5, 19, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH DIA, Hyatt DIA
FWIW, as an existing high tier member in both programs, I do think it's significantly more difficult to become CK than a Globalist member.

I believe most CK's won't change their travel patterns due to this, but that remains to be seen. Want to see full details of the partnership before making judgement.
Old Mar 5, 19, 9:18 am

They label this as an "expansion."

I really wasn't aware of any Hyatt-AA program currently. What have I been missing?
Old Mar 5, 19, 9:20 am

Got the email: NOT HAPPY. AA elites benefit at the expense of those of us who earn our WOH status.
Renard, CIT85 and cruisingmickey like this.

Search this Thread