Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt and American Airlines announce enhanced loyalty benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 21, 2023, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Note: According to multiple data points on Nov 2023 - Hyatt stays that earn AA Loyalty Point accrual hit AA accounts on Tuesdays (and take up to 5-7 business days overall). To be eligible for Hyatt accrual you need AA status (gold or better) and you receive 1 Loyalty Point for every base $ spent at Hyatt.

Print Wikipost

Hyatt and American Airlines announce enhanced loyalty benefits

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by danger
It would seem that for a large chunk of Hyatt members, this "enhanced" partnership only benefits those in the US, just like the credit card. Yes, it's great that there are new ways to earn but those ways are largely-to-entirely out of reach for those outside the US. If there's a status challenge to AA, you can bet your last Hyatt point that it won't be possible to complete that challenge on AA partners. So again it seems to be a case of 'live in the US (or to a lesser extent, China) or don't expect much from Hyatt'.
Well let's see... Hyatt IS a US company and the vast vast majority of its properties reside in the US.... is it especially odd that they would focus on US? If I lived outside the US I wouldn't be trying to build status w/Hyatt as there are brands that focus on every part of the world (ahem.. Accor) and others in Asia. Why focus on Hyatt? Doesn't make sense to me.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami

Why would limits possibly be imposed? Because it wouldn’t make sense otherwise. Would anyone make a point of staying 60 nights per year at Hyatt if they knew there was always a 20-night challenge available? Same thing applies to AA.
Not quite the same.
First off, you don't know if there will be another 20 night challenge next year. There might be.
Secondly, for the status challenge for AA there is a fee, and for the 20 night challenge for globalist there is no fee. If you just paid money you could do the AA challenge annually. They don't have a limit. You cannot pay money to get the 20 night challenge.
You can also pay money to buy up to status for AA and other airlines, you cannot do that for hotels.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:21 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Not quite the same.
First off, you don't know if there will be another 20 night challenge next year. There might be.
There might, indeed. And if it becomes an annual thing, why would anyone make a point of being loyal to Hyatt all year long?

Secondly, for the status challenge for AA there is a fee, and for the 20 night challenge for globalist there is no fee. If you just paid money you could do the AA challenge annually. They don't have a limit.
Yes, I know. That’s why I said AA might impose a limit on any free challenges they offer Hyatt elites.

You cannot pay money to get the 20 night challenge.
You can also pay money to buy up to status for AA and other airlines, you cannot do that for hotels.
Sure, you can. One can get top-level Hilton status by applying for the Amex card, and top-level Hyatt status by spending $150,000 on the Chase WoH card.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 2:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP/*wood Plat/Hilton Gold/Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by danger
It would seem that for a large chunk of Hyatt members, this "enhanced" partnership only benefits those in the US, just like the credit card. Yes, it's great that there are new ways to earn but those ways are largely-to-entirely out of reach for those outside the US. If there's a status challenge to AA, you can bet your last Hyatt point that it won't be possible to complete that challenge on AA partners. So again it seems to be a case of 'live in the US (or to a lesser extent, China) or don't expect much from Hyatt'.
It does not appear that Hyatt is trying to be the everything for everyone located everywhere brand that some other chains have positioned themselves as.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it worthwhile to earn AA status to get in on the double dip? I am thinking, probably not. 1 AA mile per dollar is not much. Maybe 10-20k miles per year?

On the other hand, it will be nice to get some extra Hyatt pts if I ever do happen to fly AA.

I think that the complaints about comped status are overblown. It was already possible to get comped Globalist status. I initially got my globalist status as a comp. And it got renewed as a comp. And it worked, because when I started doing paid hotel stays, I naturally went to Hyatt (after all, I already had status). And now I have earned status. This is just marketing. OF COURSE they want to give status to high-valued customers. They are worth a lot more to Hyatt than someone who mattress runs at HP to gain their status.

Also, anyone who is CK probably already has status at multiple hotel chains. 10k CKs does not mean 10k new globalists. Maybe 1,000 more? Probably about on par with the number who get it through the MS on the credit card.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:35 pm
Suspended

It’s not CK getting Globalist that’s driving most of the complaints here; it’s the lack of reciprocity. Globalist for CK and AA Gold for Globalists seems like a fairer deal for the Hyatt side.
Quinlanty likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It’s not CK getting Globalist that’s driving most of the complaints here; it’s the lack of reciprocity. Globalist for CK and AA Gold for Globalists seems like a fairer deal for the Hyatt side.
I disagree that that's a "fair deal". If Hyatt had an invite-only tier that required an obscene amount of spend, then giving them EXP would be fair deal.

For all you know, the people who spend $50k+ annually at Hyatt may be given complimentary status with AA. Just because it's not published doesn't mean it won't happen. When I was putting in $10-15k of theo on 10+ trips per year as an M-life Noir (which is probably on the low end of Noir), I was given complimentary Globalist status, even though that was not a published benefit of the partnership. Many globalists this year have been given M-life Noir status, even though that's not a published benefit.

AA has no interest in giving status to all globalists because globalist is not difficult to attain. I would be shocked if high-value customers (who AA is interested in) were not offered some complimentary AA status -- AA wants them as customers, after all. That's what these deals are all about. If you are spending $50k per year at Park Hyatts and not flying AA, you can probably expect an email when this thing launches.

Anyone who is CK is known to be a high-value customer, so it makes sense for Hyatt to offer status to all of them.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:09 pm
Suspended

Hyatt does have an invite-only tier. And my suggestion is no different than the United/Marriott deal. Hell, UA Silver might still be better than AA Gold.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

[left]Hyatt does have an invite-only tier.
Then maybe those people will get comped AA status.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by gengar
Honestly, this reeks a bit of desperation from WoH. Don't know why they'd want something so one-sided.
Maybe to get access to the world's largest Frequent Flyer program and its elites? They do travel a lot, and if some can be siphoned off into Hyatt beds, more money in Hyatt's pocket. Who knows, if the AA travelers like the Hyatt experience they may stay more often.
jfhscott likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 1:37 pm

Maybe Hyatt should add a spend requirement like AA for all tier levels...
Old Mar 10, 2019, 2:13 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
Hyatt already has that. It's just an OR rather than AND.
Discoverist = 25K base points
Explorist = 50K base points
Globalist = 100K base points
$1USD eligible spend = 5 base points
Old Mar 10, 2019, 3:22 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by blitzkriegs
Then World of Hyatt will be dead.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
Then World of Hyatt will be dead.
Oh really, why so?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:53 pm

That should be obvious. Spending requirements would be a TERRIBLE idea for a hotel plan. I'll do 60 nights, but I won't scrape to spend more if I haven't spent enough after 60 nights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.