Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt and American Airlines announce enhanced loyalty benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 21, 2023, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Note: According to multiple data points on Nov 2023 - Hyatt stays that earn AA Loyalty Point accrual hit AA accounts on Tuesdays (and take up to 5-7 business days overall). To be eligible for Hyatt accrual you need AA status (gold or better) and you receive 1 Loyalty Point for every base $ spent at Hyatt.

Print Wikipost

Hyatt and American Airlines announce enhanced loyalty benefits

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by hdfdisk

Well the blogger you mentions doesn’t really know anything about GS or CK and I don’t think he is personally one. A large number of these is usually granted either through Corp contract or to people flying on Corp contract, so it doesn’t really matter if AA carry 30% more leisure traveler or those who may not even fly more than once per years. Also on the other hand, an 10K increase on qualification in top tier could exponentially reduce the pool of qualified people. $40K sort of like 8 business class round trip cross pacific and $50K is sort of like 10, and a bar from 8 to 10 would really eliminate lots of people from qualifying.
That's definitely true for United's GS and I'm sure CK has a similar setup.
In addition to the heaviest road warriors, GS is also given to high ranking corporate personnel, especially heads of major travel departments and other corporate travel decision makers.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:01 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by uppereastsider

Respectfully disagree.

- Award nights counting towards status
- TSUs on award stays
- Updated language where suite upgrades are standard experience for globalists
- WOH Visa which earns nights via spend
- SLH partnership opening up tons of new point redemptions
- Free Cat 1-7 night every year for getting globalist
- Free parking and no resort fees for globs
- Earn TSUs at 50 nights now
- New airline partnership to earn miles and earn Hyatt points on flights
- Free night at 30 nights
- 5k points or other incentives at 40 nights
- TSUs/10k points at 70/80/90 nights

A lot of these are perks introduced in last year or two, with the 30-50 night incentives being very new. This seems like a company investing in its members. If you want to see a program lose perks and appear to be going downhill fast, go to the MR forum here
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Those improvements have helped the program significantly. Most of them were rolled out after the World of Hyatt debacle. I suspect they 'culled the herd' quite a bit more than they thought and didn't expect people to walk away from Hyatt. I ended up just burning points when I stayed at Hyatts while using my club certs. While I also opted to burn up most of my points with other programs, all of my paid nights went to Marriott/SPG, Hilton, or IHG. Not one penny in revenue to Hyatt, only point burning and free nights.

Now, with credit for both point and free night stays, that reduces the number of paid nights I need to get Glob. And the credit card will fill in any night credit shortfalls. It's still a bit of a PITA to get 60 nights because I don't like limiting myself to one chain but as long as there's a reasonably priced FS Hyatt (NOT HH/HP) near where I want to go, it's tolerable.
Do we need to have these debates in every single thread ? What does this have to do with Hyatt and AA ?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by skj
Do we need to have these debates in every single thread ? What does this have to do with Hyatt and AA ?
Sorry, not trying to get off topic. But someone equated the Hyatt / AA announcement as another sign of the company failing, and I disagreed and wanted to prove why (recent actions showing a program improving, not losing value)

To get back on topic --> For my view and my personal travel opinions/habits, this is a net positive and increases my perception of Hyatt. Others will disagree, but if I can get some type of AA Status, great! And since it appears I can earn additional AA miles at Hyatt Stays and Hyatt Miles on AA flights, then that's another +1 for Hyatt overall, and signs of a strengthening, growing program
Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
I wonder if the AA status challenges offered to WoH Elite will be like what AA offered last year to targeted people. Last year, AA sent me an offer for Platinum Pro status, good from 1/25/18-5/25/18. Previous to that I hadn't flown AA in a couple of years. All I had to do was register. Platinum Pro status and benefits upfront, and would continue after 5/25 if I met normal thresholds.

I took advantage of that promotion a couple of times, but did not pursue flying/spending enough to continue afterwards. I still prefer Delta to AA.

Perhaps the status challenge for WoH Elite might come in a similar form with AA status and benefits upfront for a limited time.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 11:39 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by conde
I wonder if the AA status challenges offered to WoH Elite will be like what AA offered last year to targeted people. Last year, AA sent me an offer for Platinum Pro status, good from 1/25/18-5/25/18. Previous to that I hadn't flown AA in a couple of years. All I had to do was register. Platinum Pro status and benefits upfront, and would continue after 5/25 if I met normal thresholds.

I took advantage of that promotion a couple of times, but did not pursue flying/spending enough to continue afterwards. I still prefer Delta to AA.

Perhaps the status challenge for WoH Elite might come in a similar form with AA status and benefits upfront for a limited time.
The challenge is a promotion, not a benefit offer. It's Hyatt's marketing scheme. I do not think Hyatt much additional benefits here other than the cross-over points.

Both Hyatt and AA executives shamelessly said that members want challenges to get to higher reward levels, not outright status matching. This is a lie.
Counsellor likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by uppereastsider
I love all the speculating about proprietary numbers like total globalists and concierge key numbers. Unless Hyatt or AA publish that data, it’s all speculation.

Heres a question to speculate - how many ConciergeKey members already are Hyatt globalists? How many stay at Hyatt already? Interesting to see if there’s a big overlap and that’s why they introduced this.

Would we be as upset if we found out 90% of conciergekey members already are Globalists? And only 1k new Globalist are added?
People love to speculate and trade on rumors as facts....

I don't believe this will materially impact upgrades or flood Hyatt with new Globalist members. The real threat to upgrades is more relatively cheap upselling of suites to non-Globs.

This, IS, however a brilliant move by Hyatt as Concierge Key Members at AA are the airlines' biggest spenders. Giving them Globalist status (but no reason to chase 60 nights since they have the status anyway) will likely bring Hyatt some nice high margin customers, especially at places like the Grand Hyatt DFW, Park Hyatt NY, various international properties in business centers (Hong Kong comes to mind), etc., where the perks might attract some of these people. However, the vast majority of these customers likely already have travel patterns/loyalty and I sincerely doubt we'll see some kind of mass migration over to Hyatt as a result of this move.

In terms of the number of Globalists that exist - it ISN'T a big number, especially after they got rid of the "25 stay crowd" a couple years ago, and I think there's room in the system for some growth without degrading benefits - ESPECIALLY if they continue to limit access to things like TSU's, Concierges, etc.... I've heard mention of me being the ONLY Globalist staying at various HH's and HP's on various weeknights many times. There's more at the full service properties, but I think it's a handful of rooms at many of those on many nights and I base this on the restaurants where I observe very few people who are likely Globs (convention groups, corporate groups, sports teams, etc... very few who match the profile of a Glob), the check in line where I'm clearly the only one, etc.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
People love to speculate and trade on rumors as facts....

I don't believe this will materially impact upgrades or flood Hyatt with new Globalist members. The real threat to upgrades is more relatively cheap upselling of suites to non-Globs.

This, IS, however a brilliant move by Hyatt as Concierge Key Members at AA are the airlines' biggest spenders. Giving them Globalist status (but no reason to chase 60 nights since they have the status anyway) will likely bring Hyatt some nice high margin customers, especially at places like the Grand Hyatt DFW, Park Hyatt NY, various international properties in business centers (Hong Kong comes to mind), etc., where the perks might attract some of these people. However, the vast majority of these customers likely already have travel patterns/loyalty and I sincerely doubt we'll see some kind of mass migration over to Hyatt as a result of this move.

In terms of the number of Globalists that exist - it ISN'T a big number, especially after they got rid of the "25 stay crowd" a couple years ago, and I think there's room in the system for some growth without degrading benefits - ESPECIALLY if they continue to limit access to things like TSU's, Concierges, etc.... I've heard mention of me being the ONLY Globalist staying at various HH's and HP's on various weeknights many times. There's more at the full service properties, but I think it's a handful of rooms at many of those on many nights and I base this on the restaurants where I observe very few people who are likely Globs (convention groups, corporate groups, sports teams, etc... very few who match the profile of a Glob), the check in line where I'm clearly the only one, etc.
The highest proportion of Globalist to occupied guest room count that I have seen at Hyatt hotels has been at Hyatt Place hotels where construction/engineering/service crews/teams are repeatedly on relatively long assignments away from home compared to say the typical NYC or London or HKG investment banker making AA CK.
CHOPCHOP767 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
One of the details I'm most curious about is the earning of Hyatt points on AA flights, especially since I credit my AA flights to BA. I suppose you'll have to link a specific AAdvantage account to make it work...

I also surprised that they couldn't manage to comp Globalists some garbage AA status, rather than just challenge (like Marriott / United and the old SPG / Delta), but YMMV until we see the details.
mixmastermark likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:14 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by craigthemif
One of the details I'm most curious about is the earning of Hyatt points on AA flights, especially since I credit my AA flights to BA. I suppose you'll have to link a specific AAdvantage account to make it work...

I also surprised that they couldn't manage to comp Globalists some garbage AA status, rather than just challenge (like Marriott / United and the old SPG / Delta), but YMMV until we see the details.
My bet is that if you credit your AA flights to a non-AA account then you will be out of luck in getting Hyatt points from the AA flight.

I am still wondering how this will work for AA flights booked via say travel packages of sorts.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:16 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Unless Hyatt is saving that announcement for later, Globalists will need to start spending $3,000 per year and flying 25,000 PQM on AA to get even the lowest-level AA status.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Unless Hyatt is saving that announcement for later, Globalists will need to start spending $3,000 per year and flying 25,000 PQM on AA to get even the lowest-level AA status.
It sounds like, at a minimum, there will be an AA status challenge offered to Hyatt elites so the first time should at least be easier than the standard qualification requirements. But I can't imagine they'd let you do a challenge every year, so eventually you would be subject to the regular qualification requirements even as a Hyatt elite member.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:04 am
Suspended

AA actually will let people do a challenge every year, for a fee ranging from $200 to $500. If Hyatt elites get a free challenge, perhaps limits will be imposed on those.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
AA actually will let people do a challenge every year, for a fee ranging from $200 to $500. If Hyatt elites get a free challenge, perhaps limits will be imposed on those.
Why?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 6:10 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
It would seem that for a large chunk of Hyatt members, this "enhanced" partnership only benefits those in the US, just like the credit card. Yes, it's great that there are new ways to earn but those ways are largely-to-entirely out of reach for those outside the US. If there's a status challenge to AA, you can bet your last Hyatt point that it won't be possible to complete that challenge on AA partners. So again it seems to be a case of 'live in the US (or to a lesser extent, China) or don't expect much from Hyatt'.
serfty likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Why?
Why would limits possibly be imposed? Because it wouldn’t make sense otherwise. Would anyone make a point of staying 60 nights per year at Hyatt if they knew there was always a 20-night challenge available? Same thing applies to AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.