Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt and American Airlines announce enhanced loyalty benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 21, 2023, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Note: According to multiple data points on Nov 2023 - Hyatt stays that earn AA Loyalty Point accrual hit AA accounts on Tuesdays (and take up to 5-7 business days overall). To be eligible for Hyatt accrual you need AA status (gold or better) and you receive 1 Loyalty Point for every base $ spent at Hyatt.

Print Wikipost

Hyatt and American Airlines announce enhanced loyalty benefits

Search this Thread

Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:24 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Even if there's just one CK member, if I lose a suite upgrade to that person, it's one too many CK members being given Glob status without earning it.

Now if Globs were given EXP status for free, it might seem more fair. The proposed rules on this make it far too one sided.
Completely agreed.

Honestly, this reeks a bit of desperation from WoH. Don't know why they'd want something so one-sided.
Renard likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:25 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

IMO, hotel elite status is easier to achieve than airline elite status. We can get more hotel credits than airline miles.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:30 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I do like the points double-dip.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RedSun
IMO, hotel elite status is easier to achieve than airline elite status. We can get more hotel credits than airline miles.
Now that Glob can be attained solely through credit card spend, this partnership realistically can't give great benefits to Globs.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by ComplexAnalysis
FWIW, as an existing high tier member in both programs, I do think it's significantly more difficult to become CK than a Globalist member.

I believe most CK's won't change their travel patterns due to this, but that remains to be seen. Want to see full details of the partnership before making judgement.
Totally agree on which is more difficult. My concern isn't really that a large # of CK members switch 100% to Hyatt, it's more that they switch a handful of stays at top end properties and take away already scarce upgrades and/or push those properties to start playing more games. A CK member that does nothing else but register, probably ends up with 60-150K hyatt points each year based on the EQD numbers I see thrown around for CK members. An EXP member, probably ends up with 15-30K. So you'd imagine anyone that cares even a little about status would use the multiple free nights at decent properties, because that many points would be hard to ignore completely.

On the flip side, you'd have the average globalist maybe earning an additional 10-20K AA miles which are worth very little. That doesn't move the needle for me, and I can't imagine it would for many others. So the value proposition just doesn't seem to be there from a Hyatt standpoint, unless there are some additional benefits for Hyatt members that weren't mentioned. The elite benefits they do mention (free bags, better boarding, etc.) appear to be the same ones you get with any of the AA credit cards so almost a $0 add for anyone that already flies american.

And as others have mentioned, this better not include TSUs for the automatic globalist status or the challenges or it makes even less sense.
GUWonder, beachfan, CIT85 and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:39 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by josephstern
Now that Glob can be attained solely through credit card spend, this partnership realistically can't give great benefits to Globs.
This is my point. Some of us can't get to airline status through CC or other spending. Hyatt Globe can get us closer to airline status.

This is like SPG/Delta and Marriott/UA cross-overs. I do not think there will be any major impacts.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Even if there's just one CK member, if I lose a suite upgrade to that person, it's one too many CK members being given Glob status without earning it.

Now if Globs were given EXP status for free, it might seem more fair. The proposed rules on this make it far too one sided.
Yes, it seems like this is really Hyatt gaining access to AA's elite database so they can try to pull more people into Hyatt beds. While I agree with you, I am sure Hyatt has decided that trying to woo the CK's that aren't already familiar with Hyatt is worthy of this partnership. I also don't want to have to compete with other people for my upgrades either (especially freebie ones) but I do ultimately want Hyatt to thrive and they need to grow somehow so they mine as well go after the bonafide heavy traveler.

Globalists email Hyatt about this devaluation!!!!!

Important: Globalists should email [email protected] ASAP and let them know you are upset they are handing out Globalist like candy to AA concierge key flyers. You have to stay 60 nights and these people do absolutely nothing, such a joke. You will never get a suite again!

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by ComplexAnalysis
FWIW, as an existing high tier member in both programs, I do think it's significantly more difficult to become CK than a Globalist member.

I believe most CK's won't change their travel patterns due to this, but that remains to be seen. Want to see full details of the partnership before making judgement.
I completely agree with this. Of the CKs I know in real life, they either 1)Ritz/FS/SR, 2)whatever most convenient or 3)day trips a lot without too many hotel stays.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by andersonCooper
I completely agree with this. Of the CKs I know in real life, they either 1)Ritz/FS/SR, 2)whatever most convenient or 3)day trips a lot without too many hotel stays.
This pattern when they travel on business is fine. But, this completely misses the point spgplat21 made about earning lots of Hyatt points on their normal travels with AA for which they can use on vacation stays at PHV, PH Milan and PH NY, thus competing with Globalists for the same very limited upgrade rooms.
GUWonder and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: AA, CX, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by CIT85
This pattern when they travel on business is fine. But, this completely misses the point spgplat21 made about earning lots of Hyatt points on their normal travels with AA for which they can use on vacation stays at PHV, PH Milan and PH NY, thus competing with Globalists for the same very limited upgrade rooms.
Unfortunately of the CKs I know they don't have time for vacation

On a serious note, the point is it won't impact CKs travel patterns too much - if they spent enough from the AA NYC market to be CKs (see AA's discussion on how they "expand" the NYC market by switching to PHL), they are usually attached to whatever hotel brands as well. Not scientific data, but same thing to "if only one CK books...".
BeachRat likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:24 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Hmmmm, my only real airline program and my only real hotel program are getting into a relationship. The double point dipping won't add to all that much, but I won't mind taking the few thousand extra points in both programs.

I agree that the exchange seems too one sided though, but that is just because WoH benefits are much much better than what AA gives anyone (Other than their CKs). The devil will be in the details of the status challenges of course. For some reason I feel like AA will make it much harder (if even allowed) to challenge for ExPlat than WoH will for challenges for Globalist. And with AA, you have to have Plat before status means anything (at least then you can get MCE seats at ticketing), and if you want upgrades to F, you have to be ExPlat to have any realistic shot for complementary domestic upgrades and only then do you get SWUs to try to get upgrades on international flights.

Well, Hyatt better not give TSU's away (my gut is that they won't -- they are an award based on stays or points, not tied to status). As for loosing at the counter upgrades with Hyatt, I suppose I don't care since I hardly ever snag one anyways.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:24 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern
They label this as an "expansion."

I really wasn't aware of any Hyatt-AA program currently. What have I been missing?
There have been a couple of recent promos where stays earned AA miles in addition to the normal Hyatt points, For example, AA and Hyatt Promotion
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:34 am

I would have liked something like globs get automatic gold status at least. Didn't the SPG Delta agreement give Silver to top tier hotel members?
Old Mar 5, 2019, 9:59 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Marriott Titanium members get UA Silver status. It's not much, but it's more than globs will get with AA ...
Renard likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.