Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cutbacks.... No more clocks?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:34 am

I hate hotel room alarm clocks

On more than one occasion, I have had the hotel alarm clock go off between 2 and 5 a.m. Obviously, set by the prior guest--or one before that.

I don't want to have to sit and figure out how to turn off the alarm. And my cell phone works just fine.

"Hey Siri, what time is it?" is the only clock I need. I don't even have to open my eyes.
MiscMel70 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:16 am

Programs: AA LT-PLAT 6MIL
Originally Posted by southbeachbum
On more than one occasion, I have had the hotel alarm clock go off between 2 and 5 a.m. Obviously, set by the prior guest--or one before that.

I don't want to have to sit and figure out how to turn off the alarm. And my cell phone works just fine.

"Hey Siri, what time is it?" is the only clock I need. I don't even have to open my eyes.
This has happened to me too many times. Once it happened two mornings in a row because I hadn't successfully turned the alarm off the first time. I now always unplug the clock and put it in a drawer. I would rather have the space and the extra plug to set up my own phone with charger which has an alarm I know how to set and I know will wake me up and will work even if the power goes out.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:01 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, AS, Hilton, Marriott, Avis
Haven't yet been in a decent room without a bedside alarm clock, for a while, but some of them have gotten so complicated to adjust, that it appears that the housekeeping crew have given up trying to keep them at the right time setting, and I can't fathom them, either. I know lots of folks choose to rely on their smartphone, but I still prefer to be able to crack an eye open, make a quick decision, and fall back asleep, without fumbling for the device.
59Impala and MimiB22 like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 11:33 am

I don't want to have to sit and figure out how to turn off the alarm.
Even worse, the alarm clock in a vacant, adjacent room goes off. That was the most annoying experience, since I had no way to turn it off!!
JackE, arcticflier and 59Impala like this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
If it's not a Cubie clock, I don't want it.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Agree with the comments about clocks with baffling controls for time and alarms. Had one on a recent trip that made no sense at all. I like a clock visible from the bed so I can open an eye and check the time. (But, I've unplugged a few excessively bright ones.) For years, I've traveled with a watch with luminous hands. Always works, whether the hotel has clocks or not. Don't have to fumble in the dark for a phone, which might be plugged in on the other side of the room anyway.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:50 pm

I tend to wake up with the sun, no matter the time so I leave the drapes slightly open and use the dawn as my alarm clock. But that doesn't mean I ignore the hotel system. I am fairly tech savvy and try to check settings, but some hotel clock systems are unfathomable. If they're that bad, I suggest getting rid of them. I wouldn't mind a simple alarm clock that uses light and moderate sound. I don't need a radio or music... in fact, find it annoying because people in other rooms can be inconsiderate. I learned the hard way that a front desk wake up phone call can't be relied on. I missed an early flight because a call system failed. Nowadays I set my phone alarm, but also a back up.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
The only time I have paid any attention to a hotel room clock is when the alarm was set by a past guest and turns on unexpectedly at an hour I would rather be in sweet slumber.

I enjoy a clock that ticks.

Last edited by arcticflier; Feb 26, 2019 at 5:59 pm
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I would much rather have a room without a clock. My last stay, at a Hilton, had the alarm go off at 5AM. It took great effort not to throw it in the hall. Would much rather have toothpaste back than clocks.

Is it possible that the hotel is simply removing the antiquated clocks with the first generation Apple ports and the replacement hasn't arrived?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Haven't experienced any hotel room clock that emits any sound. But one of the first things I do, when installing myself in a new hotel room, is to check the alarm isn't on, and turn off if necessary.

For those who are disturbed by the fractional light from the digital clock, my advice is to hang a towel over it, instead of unplugging , thereby leaving it to the next guest with time out of sync.
arcticflier likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by onobond
Haven't experienced any hotel room clock that emits any sound. But one of the first things I do, when installing myself in a new hotel room, is to check the alarm isn't on, and turn off if necessary.

For those who are disturbed by the fractional light from the digital clock, my advice is to hang a towel over it, instead of unplugging , thereby leaving it to the next guest with time out of sync.
I've done that too, but that literally takes up the entire table leaving no space for water, glasses, phone, etc. I'd rather unplug it. It is up to housekeeping to set the time.
Aventine and VegasGambler like this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 9:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by onobond
Haven't experienced any hotel room clock that emits any sound.
I've had hummers and I've had tickers.

Originally Posted by MarkOK
that literally takes up the entire table leaving no space for water, glasses, phone, etc.
Or CPAP for those of us who need one.

"Hey Siri, what time is it?" is the only clock I need.
I assume you're single?
Old Sep 1, 2021, 12:27 am

Originally Posted by txhyattlvr
In another "classy" move, they are combining Apotheke toiletries with old Kenet MD (call it mix and match) until I assume they run out of Kenet... the new ones are half the size of the old ones (which were already reduced in size a couple of years ago..)

Still love Hyatt but ugh.
Been loyal to Hyatt for the last decade but after my last 2 stays in Hyatt properties, I'm rethinking that due to cutbacks that IMO really reduce the quality of the stay.

March 2021, The Bellevue Philadelphia: an outdated dump with a Hyatt price tag. Double room, 2 beds, 1 chair at a nice, big round table, which would have been great for eating our COVID take-out meal if there had been a second chair. Instead of blinds or curtains, it had shutters inside the room, which blocked neither light nor noise. Peeling paint, and by the number of layers you could see where it was peeling, probably lead based paint. One and half sets of towels (2 bath towels, 1 hand towel, 1 washcloth) for 2 people for 2 nights. No ice available. No coffee cups, just plastic cold liquid cups in the bathroom. Worst of was the smell of the new toiletries by Apotheke, which smelled like rotting vegetation. You could smell the soap before the wrapper came off, making me very glad I had packed soap. The smell of that stuff was so offensive I ended up putting outside of the room.

August 2021, Hyatt Regency Bethesda: this time it felt like they had striped everything possible out of the room. I expect the justification is COVID but cost savings is the real reason. Again, double room booked for 2 people, 1 chair, only 2 paper cups - 4 portions of coffee, 4 teabags (ugh, not even decent quality) - but 2 cups? No bathroom cups. Pharmacopeia toiletries in teeny, tiny bottles - a "full" bottle of that is not enough to lather my hair once. At least Pharmacopeia has a tolerable scent, but I still miss the Kenet. No pen or paper, minimal towels (seriously, a room booked for 2 people and they can't put in 2 washclothes?). Oh, 2 bottles of water on the desk with really tacky little signs "Free for elites, $4 for other guests".

Taken alone, none of these things are critical, but when it's one petty annoyance after another, nowhere to sit while eating, having to call the front desk for paper cups, no second towel to dry one's hair, it's adding up to time to switch to another hotel group. A hotel stay is supposed to be relaxing, and this year's Hyatt experiences weren't.

Oh, and there was a clock in the room and it was set to the wrong time. That was probably the least annoying thing about the HR stay.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 4:10 pm
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
My favorite are the clocks that are by the sinks in the bathroom. They help you time your oral care
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Been loyal to Hyatt for the last decade but after my last 2 stays in Hyatt properties, I'm rethinking that due to cutbacks that IMO really reduce the quality of the stay.

March 2021, The Bellevue Philadelphia: an outdated dump with a Hyatt price tag. Double room, 2 beds, 1 chair at a nice, big round table, which would have been great for eating our COVID take-out meal if there had been a second chair. Instead of blinds or curtains, it had shutters inside the room, which blocked neither light nor noise. Peeling paint, and by the number of layers you could see where it was peeling, probably lead based paint. One and half sets of towels (2 bath towels, 1 hand towel, 1 washcloth) for 2 people for 2 nights. No ice available. No coffee cups, just plastic cold liquid cups in the bathroom. Worst of was the smell of the new toiletries by Apotheke, which smelled like rotting vegetation. You could smell the soap before the wrapper came off, making me very glad I had packed soap. The smell of that stuff was so offensive I ended up putting outside of the room.

August 2021, Hyatt Regency Bethesda: this time it felt like they had striped everything possible out of the room. I expect the justification is COVID but cost savings is the real reason. Again, double room booked for 2 people, 1 chair, only 2 paper cups - 4 portions of coffee, 4 teabags (ugh, not even decent quality) - but 2 cups? No bathroom cups. Pharmacopeia toiletries in teeny, tiny bottles - a "full" bottle of that is not enough to lather my hair once. At least Pharmacopeia has a tolerable scent, but I still miss the Kenet. No pen or paper, minimal towels (seriously, a room booked for 2 people and they can't put in 2 washclothes?). Oh, 2 bottles of water on the desk with really tacky little signs "Free for elites, $4 for other guests".

Taken alone, none of these things are critical, but when it's one petty annoyance after another, nowhere to sit while eating, having to call the front desk for paper cups, no second towel to dry one's hair, it's adding up to time to switch to another hotel group. A hotel stay is supposed to be relaxing, and this year's Hyatt experiences weren't.

Oh, and there was a clock in the room and it was set to the wrong time. That was probably the least annoying thing about the HR stay.
Old Jan 7, 2022, 5:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
A hotel stay is supposed to be relaxing, and this year's Hyatt experiences weren't.

Oh, and there was a clock in the room and it was set to the wrong time.
Oh Lordy, the same thing has happened to me twice at the Marriott this year.

It was a horrible experience looking at those clocks and becoming anxious that I had somehow lost an hour of my life with no recollection where it went.

I will tell you what, I called down to the front desk and told them they could get their clock sitting outside the hallway door.

Sure, it would only have taken me 30 seconds to adjust the time; but, I far prefer complaining to the Staff or my fellow FT whiners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.