Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Niagara Falls REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Feb 22, 19, 7:29 pm
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, AC, AA, Hyatt, Marriott

My recent three-night stay at this hotel, opened less than 12 months ago, was largely disappointing.

The hotel's location - from a Niagara Falls US-side perspective - is excellent. It's under five minutes walk from the US border crossing and about five to seven minutes walk from the falls themselves. A walk from the hotel's front door to the Canadian border crossing is well under 15 minutes. Staying in the depths of winter, the town itself was extremely quite. A number of shops including restaurants, as well as some accommodation venues, were closed. There is a TGI Fridays and a Rainforest Cafe about two blocks away while the Hard Rock Cafe (there is also another one just over the border) is more or less adjacent to the hotel.

I seem to recall the original Hyatt Place hotels in the US were a former hotel brand where the rooms are quite large. The room I had, a regular kind with sofa bed, is by no means small but isn't as a big. It was still more than comfortable, though, with a large king bed, good-sized wardrobe, comfortable and large sofa bed and television over a bench that could be used as a desk. The bathroom did not have a tub. Amenities were standard Hyatt Place stuff but apparently the hotel has decided not to pay for the number three amenity in the four (shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, moisturiser). One, two and four sitting next to each other looked at a bit odd.

The first two nights of my stay I shared the hotel with a large group of young sports people (ice hockey players, I think). They certainly didn't run havoc (although there was a fair amount of running itself in the hallways) but they were a little disruptive. The room doors are fairly permeable and noise in the hall was easily heard. There was a pizza box left outside the elevators on my floor one night that was still there 15 hours later, even while two housekeepers worked the floor while two of the four elevators were littered with crumbs one morning. On the topic of housekeeping, on my second morning, the housekeeper knocked on my door and said "Do you need anything for your room today?" as opposed to "I'll come back later" or "What time would you like your room serviced?" Someone had somewhere more important to be! I had a laundry bag in my wardrobe but no order form. On my first night I had no hot water which I put down to the 100 or so kids. The next morning it was only lukewarm. The top sheet and duvet on the bed were odd. Either they were the wrong size or had just been tucked in far too much at the bottom as I could only pull them up to my mid-chest, rather than my shoulders. The window had a rolled blackout blind and a privacy blind that were quite effective at keeping the light out. My room faced the direction of the falls but there are absolutely zero views to be had.

Breakfast was poor. The scrambled eggs were disgraceful. If they were white you'd have sworn it was a pot of popcorn. It was essentially crumbs. Some kind of bacon was promoted in the elevators and the room as being the hotel's local specialty but on two mornings it was distinctly absent for a good 30 minutes. When I asked a waitress one morning if more was coming, the response was "Maybe they're making some more" as she walked off. There wasn't a lot of food to choose from, either. Hot water for tea was tepid at best and would have been too cold in a bathtub. On one morning a waitress enquired as to how everything was. When I said "Pretty average, actually" she laughed profusely and then asked . . . if I wanted my plates cleared, not "Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that. What's the problem?" or similar. Coupled with the hordes of children on two mornings, it was not an enjoyable start to the days.

Disappointingly, the hotel has no 'green' card asking guests to re-use their towels (not that it seems to matter at 95% of Hyatts I've stayed at anyway). The hotel also has no recycling bins despite being very heavy on disposable plastic.

There is a good-sized indoor swimming pool and a 'gym' with a few free weights and about six cardio machines.

I will say that the manager, who has come from the Park Hyatt Toronto, appears to have instilled in the staff a genuine desire to want to ensure guests' stays are pleasant. On numerous occasions I heard staff asking guests how their stays were; I myself was asked more than once. Even the waitress who enquired as to my breakfast was clearly interested. Although her response was inappropriate, in fairness she did offer to make me eggs anyway I liked on my final morning (when hotel occupancy must have been about 15%, post-sports kids) which I appreciated.

If you need a Hyatt stay or you're determined to stay on the US side near the falls, then this hotel is probably suited, provided rates don't go about about $100/$110 a night. But overall I wouldn't recommend the hotel.

I had arrived into Niagara Falls in Canada by Coach Canada and the hotel had recommended a private car service that it uses to get from the bus terminal, across the border and to the hotel. The cost was USD39 and took less than 15 minutes so really wasn't cost-effective. I departed by coach from the same location and this time walked across the border to Canada then took a cab for CAD10 to the terminal
Old Sep 3, 19, 12:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Am considering a stay at this property. Wondering if anyone has more recent feedback..
Old Sep 3, 19, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA, AS, BA, UA, HH, Hyatt
Originally Posted by NJNY View Post
Am considering a stay at this property. Wondering if anyone has more recent feedback..
I stayed here for 2 nights at the end of July. Overall itís a fairly basic Hyatt place (rooms and breakfast are the exact same as most other Hyatt places in the US). Location wise itís decent and very close to the US side of the falls, but the Canadian side of the falls is better so we spent more time over there (you can walk or drive to the Canadian side fairly easily).

As a globalist they comped parking on an award stay (as they should) and also also upgraded to a suite which was nice. Overall Iíd stay there again if I had to be in the area but itís not anything to write home about. if I wasnít loyal to Hyatt, Iíd probably stay on the Canadian side of the falls at a hotel that had a view of the falls from my room and more to do right outside of the hotel.
Old Sep 4, 19, 12:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Milano Suprano View Post

I stayed here for 2 nights at the end of July. Overall itís a fairly basic Hyatt place (rooms and breakfast are the exact same as most other Hyatt places in the US). Location wise itís decent and very close to the US side of the falls, but the Canadian side of the falls is better so we spent more time over there (you can walk or drive to the Canadian side fairly easily).

As a globalist they comped parking on an award stay (as they should) and also also upgraded to a suite which was nice. Overall Iíd stay there again if I had to be in the area but itís not anything to write home about. if I wasnít loyal to Hyatt, Iíd probably stay on the Canadian side of the falls at a hotel that had a view of the falls from my room and more to do right outside of the hotel.
Thank you for the feedback!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: