Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Advice on whether it is worth shooting for Explorist

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on whether it is worth shooting for Explorist

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by conde
I realize that the question wasn't directed to me, however it should be pointed out that Explorist upgrades are not valid at Hyatt Place properties.

Per the WoH T&C's:

"Best Room Available: Explorists will be offered the best room available at the time of check-in at Hyatt hotels and resorts, excluding suites and Club lounge-access rooms. The best room available will be determined by the applicable hotel or resort in its sole discretion and may vary from stay-to-stay. The “best room” may, but will not necessarily be, of a room type/category higher than that booked by the Member. Not valid at Hyatt Place, Hyatt House, or Hyatt Residence Club hotels and resorts, or M life Rewards destinations."

An upgrade may still be available at a HP hotel's discretion if there are higher-category rooms, but it would not be due to Explorist benefits.
Thanks for the explanation. Yeah I wasn't expecting any mandatory benefits at HP. Oh well.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:57 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by conde
I realize that the question wasn't directed to me, however it should be pointed out that Explorist upgrades are not valid at Hyatt Place properties.

Per the WoH T&C's:

"Best Room Available: Explorists will be offered the best room available at the time of check-in at Hyatt hotels and resorts, excluding suites and Club lounge-access rooms. The best room available will be determined by the applicable hotel or resort in its sole discretion and may vary from stay-to-stay. The “best room” may, but will not necessarily be, of a room type/category higher than that booked by the Member. Not valid at Hyatt Place, Hyatt House, or Hyatt Residence Club hotels and resorts, or M life Rewards destinations."

An upgrade may still be available at a HP hotel's discretion if there are higher-category rooms, but it would not be due to Explorist benefits.
With my recent holiday travel at both HP and HH, I showed up as a WOH elite member. We received upgrades at both places. At HH, it was a one-bedroom apartment.

Also, at Hyatt Residence Club Sedona, we were upgraded to an one-bedroom condo with fireplace.

Happy to receive the upgrades during the extremely busy holiday season.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HIFlya
Were you able to get the upgrade as Glob or Explorist? I was thinking I would not get any upgrade as Explorist as "suites" are excluded from the available upgrades for Explorist and all the HP rooms are "suites" haha.
Those are not "suites". You'll receive upgrades subject to availability.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RedSun
Those are not "suites". You'll receive upgrades subject to availability.
Thanks for the clarification. It would be nice to get a room with two queens instead of the single king we have right now.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Thanks for the clarification. It would be nice to get a room with two queens instead of the single king we have right now.
There are just quite a few factors on the so-called upgrades. There were instances when we received room upgrades top floor and ocean views with two patios. Also we received emails from hotel in-house guest relations and front desk manager arranging room upgrades and dining reservations during holiday season. Sometimes we got nothing...
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:02 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
I don't know that moving from 1 bed to 2 beds would be considered an upgrade (it would be a big downgrade for me) unless you're moving to a higher category room. Also, it seems that 2 beds aren't an option for many upgraded room types. If you want 2 beds, I suggest you reserve them, or make your preference clearly known to the property before arrival.
RedSun likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skj
I don't know that moving from 1 bed to 2 beds would be considered an upgrade (it would be a big downgrade for me) unless you're moving to a higher category room. Also, it seems that 2 beds aren't an option for many upgraded room types. If you want 2 beds, I suggest you reserve them, or make your preference clearly known to the property before arrival.
Unfortunately, I am using award nights and they were sold out of the two queens as a standard room for one of the nights. So I just booked what they had. I just looked at the rates for the HP and it seems like they only have Kings left, either with a Space Needle view or not. I guess maybe they will give us a Space Needle view?
Old Mar 4, 2019, 3:36 pm
skj

Unfortunately, I am using award nights and they were sold out of the two queens as a standard room for one of the nights. So I just booked what they had. I just looked at the rates for the HP and it seems like they only have Kings left, either with a Space Needle view or not. I guess maybe they will give us a Space Needle view?
I realize this is getting off-topic here, but this is your 5 night stay sometime this month, right ? If you have an extra 15K points, I'd strongly suggest looking at one of the 3 properties downtown (GH, HR, or Olive 8). I've stayed in a lot of HPs and don't mind them for a night or two, but for 5 nights, I'd look at the alternatives, assuming you have the points and can find availability.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skj
I realize this is getting off-topic here, but this is your 5 night stay sometime this month, right ? If you have an extra 15K points, I'd strongly suggest looking at one of the 3 properties downtown (GH, HR, or Olive 8). I've stayed in a lot of HPs and don't mind them for a night or two, but for 5 nights, I'd look at the alternatives, assuming you have the points and can find availability.
Trouble is, we have a 6 year old and a 3 year old, so a biggish room and breakfasts are a must. And since I don't have lounge passes yet I have to stay at the HHs and HPs to make sure my wife has one less thing to stress about.:-). If that Explorist challenge included passes, I would have been all over that haha.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 6:31 am
skj

Trouble is, we have a 6 year old and a 3 year old, so a biggish room and breakfasts are a must. And since I don't have lounge passes yet I have to stay at the HHs and HPs to make sure my wife has one less thing to stress about.:-). If that Explorist challenge included passes, I would have been all over that haha.
It also sounds like 2 beds are a must, too ! 2 adults and 2 kids in a king bed doesn't sound like fun to me, especially for 5 nights.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 10:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skj
It also sounds like 2 beds are a must, too ! 2 adults and 2 kids in a king bed doesn't sound like fun to me, especially for 5 nights.
It says the rooms include a sleeper sofa, so I got that. When we went to Carlsbad and stayed at a HH, I just slept on the couch a couple nights, squeezed into the bottom of the bed a couple nights, and tried the couch pulled out one night. I am a very still sleeper, I can handle narrowness so it was OK.

I guess I can rearrange my reservations and only have one night of King, and go with 2 queens every other night and cross my fingers that they have availability that night. Maybe I will get lucky and someone that had a long-term reservation through the night in question cancels before I get there and the two queens opens up.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Status matches and/or challenges did include club/lounge access awards, but Hyatt seems to have had that on the chopping block and then chopped hard at it.

However, without the inclusion of any lounge access benefit for the Explorist status, Explorist status is arguably useless in terms of customers’ benefits; and so to attract/retain customers using Explorist status, Hyatt will likely have to sweeten the pot for consumers at least at times if it wants to make Explorist much of a hook into getting and keeping customers when demand for hotel services takes a dive.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder

Status matches and/or challenges did include club/lounge access awards, but Hyatt seems to have had that on the chopping block and then chopped hard at it.

However, without the inclusion of any lounge access benefit for the Explorist status, Explorist status is arguably useless in terms of customers’ benefits; and so to attract/retain customers using Explorist status, Hyatt will likely have to sweeten the pot for consumers at least at times if it wants to make Explorist much of a hook into getting and keeping customers when demand for hotel services takes a dive.
Yeah my feelings exactly. At first I was initially thrilled I was getting Explorist with a very doable challenge. I wouldn't have minded not getting the passes for the challenge portion, but after meeting the challenge, especially if the status was only good until 2020, why not give me 4 lounge passes, it would definitely entice me to move any future stays in the next year to full service Hyatts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.